What's new

Iran Army gains capability to intercept, redirect enemy missiles

very good Iran move on....

lol, now hacking the missile??

I heard about this Iranian tech a year ago, and also took these news with a grain of salt, but then RQ-170 happened. :azn: Now I'm more open about such possibility, jamming or misdirecting UAVs and missiles is probably doable, by Iran no less.

The same Might of Iranian Army brought down RQ-170 on ground without even harming it a little. Non of any other country have done this. ... What an embarrassing BS, isn't it?

First of all, their is massive difference between a missile and a drone. Drone are controlled by human operators. However, missiles are different thing. Yes! It is possible to have some level of control over a cruise missile. However, hacking it is unrealistic assumption.

As far as this news is concerned; complete and utter BS is my verdict. Iran should prove its claim with a real experiment otherwise.

Gaining capability to intercept missiles possible... but redirecting enemy missiles tech is not possible in Iran till now IMO.

Now it`s a bit too ambitious announcement by any country ...

Any expert on missiles & radars`ll shed light on it please..
I'll do the honours.....;)
A ballistic missile has a pre-ordained course, which after launch cannot be changed by even the controllers themselves.
However the missile warhead or a stage of a missile can be deactivated, which causes the missile to lose momentum and eventually it simply drops down. The missile can also be in some cases caused to self destruct, but only specific computers are equipped to handle these ops. Because such computers are normally not connected to any other comp it is very hard to hack them.....

I heard about this Iranian tech a year ago, and also took these news with a grain of salt, but then RQ-170 happened. :azn: Now I'm more open about such possibility, jamming or misdirecting UAVs and missiles is probably doable, by Iran no less.

If that is the case why are US drones not falling out of sky everyday???

Iran army's claim are graduating from the level of wishful thinking to that of pure fantasy.

First of all, their is massive difference between a missile and a drone. Drone are controlled by human operators. However, missiles are different thing. Yes! It is possible to have some level of control over a cruise missile. However, hacking it is unrealistic assumption.

As far as this news is concerned; complete and utter BS is my verdict. Iran should prove its claim with a real experiment otherwise.

So that means,
"If the Missile doesn't redirect automatically in 20 sec Click Here"
As we see on different web pages.
:lol:

Exactly!!
Though the trajectory of a cruise missile can be changed , but it's direction cannot be changed in any circumstance...
For example, a cruise missile is launched with an objective of falling on Parliament....Mid flight if the operator reacts quickly the target can be changed to qutab Minar or Noida, but no more than that....

as a matter of fact , when first planes were created everyone told that it's impossible to detect them but the creative people made radars and etc ...

well theoretically a missle can be defled by jamming the GPS signals or a strong EMR beam which can jam the missle electronics. However even a person armed with basic knowledge of computer and electronic knows that this is usual trolling by IRGC.

Iran doesnt claim they HACK the missiles, they claim to "intercept and deflect enemy missiles away from their targets".

How it works IMO: all smart missiles have some guidance system, and if you can trick missile its (or targets) location is lets say 100 meters to the right. Missile's on-board computer will assume its hitting designated target, while in reality it missed.

The example above is doable with some missiles/UAVs, and its far easier to do than hack them. Some posters act like RQ-170 never happened, while it was tricked by Iranians just like that. And another point - drones arent always operated by humans, at least not 100% of the time. They have pre-programed automatic routes, etc.

---------------------------

About hacking, its entirely different area. Few ideas about it as well: its virtually impossible to hack missile (i.e. take full control of it) on the fly, at least not at this time. However it is possible to hack armies computer systems and take over drones control through them.

It was already done last year, with drone-base computers hacked, and virus installed in UAVs, US army had a hard time removing them. Also how many times Pentagon and NASA were hacked? In other words, such hacking is possible, but I dont think Iran is capable of it now, unless its they who were responsible for UAV base hacking last year, nobody took the credit for it :azn:

as a matter of fact , when first planes were created everyone told that it's impossible to detect them but the creative people made radars and etc ...
Apple and Oranges.

If missiles can be manipulated and hacked then why many nations are investing billions of dollars on ABM systems? You think that countries such as USA, Russia, and China would not have figured this out by now?

Iran doesnt claim they HACK the missiles, they claim to "intercept and deflect enemy missiles away from their targets".

How it works IMO: all smart missiles have some guidance system, and if you can trick missile its (or targets) location is lets say 100 meters to the right. Missile's on-board computer will assume its hitting designated target, while in reality it missed.

The example above is doable with some missiles/UAVs, and its far easier to do than hack them. Some posters act like RQ-170 never happened, while it was tricked by Iranians just like that. And another point - drones arent always operated by humans, at least not 100% of the time. They have pre-programed automatic routes, etc.

About hacking, its entirely different area. Few ideas about it as well: its virtually impossible to hack missile (i.e. take full control of it) on the fly, at least not at this time. However it is possible to hack armies computer systems and take over drones control through them.
Hypothetically, lot of things are proposed.

However, hypotheses are validated through experiments.

It was already done last year, with drone-base computers hacked, and virus installed in UAVs, US army had a hard time removing them. Also how many times Pentagon and NASA were hacked? In other words, such hacking is possible, but I dont think Iran is capable of it now, unless its they who were responsible for UAV base hacking last year, nobody took the credit for it :azn:
Regarding the virus: http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/20...t-base-nothing-to-worry-about-air-force-says/

After initially declining to discuss the infection, Air Force Space Command issued a statement late Wednesday that said the malware had been detected “on a stand-alone mission support network,” at Creech Air Force Base, near Las Vegas, but never affected the critical flight-control system that allows pilots to steer the drone aircraft and launch missile strikes overseas. The statement added that the virus was discovered on “portable hard drives approved for transferring information between systems” at the base last month.

New and unknown viruses emerge on daily basis. It takes some time to develop remedies for them. Viruses can be easily transmitted via infected portable devices. Notice that how even normal events like these result in speculations?

Pray tell me how will the guidance system be connected to the guys in Iran??? Even an EMP will do nothing more than cause it to deactivate or go erratic. That too will take a very strong pulse. Changing the direction, even slightly without proper connection is like trying to hit the missile with an arrow, and these guys talk about completly rerouting it...
In other words it is impossible....
Even the controller cannot change the direction more than a few kilometers.
Iran has a decent and growing R & D industry, but this claim is totally crap.......

Hypothetically, lot of things are proposed.

However, hypotheses are validated through experiments.

And I'm pretty sure Iranians (and everybody else) are busy on this. How much progress is made, we might never know unless war starts. However for each weapon countermeasures are prepared, this cat and mouse game never ends.

Regarding the virus: Computer Virus at U.S. Drone Fleet Base Nothing to Worry About, Air Force Says - NYTimes.com

After initially declining to discuss the infection, Air Force Space Command issued a statement late Wednesday that said the malware had been detected “on a stand-alone mission support network,” at Creech Air Force Base, near Las Vegas, but never affected the critical flight-control system that allows pilots to steer the drone aircraft and launch missile strikes overseas. The statement added that the virus was discovered on “portable hard drives approved for transferring information between systems” at the base last month.

New and unknown viruses emerge on daily basis. It takes some time to develop remedies for them. Viruses can be easily transmitted via infected portable devices. Notice that how even normal events like these result in speculations?

And Stuxnet was also infected similarly, so whats your point? What concerns the whole attitude "no big deal, no harm done" is up to you to believe. Initial reaction by the way was different, and after that damage control kicked in. Much like Iran claimed Stuxnet havent done much harm, while West claims it postponed enrichment by few years.

Face-saving is a part of politics of any country, whether its Iran or US. Like already mentioned RQ-170, official reaction? "No big deal, Iran wont be able to decipher or use that tech anyway". As I said, up to you if you believe face-saving politics or not.

we have 2 kind of missles: 1- kinds that move with math and can not be controled from other places, this kind can be just jammed or destroyed to stop them 2- missiles that can be controlled, this kind of missiles have an operation system , so if you can decode the signals that control the missiles with the OS you can hack into them.
but it's not easy! it need's a program that detect the signals, decode them with different algorithms (the most important part) then sending jamming waves , and at last sending our own signals to the missiles. this program must be smart to combine diffrent algorithms and check all of them in less than 1-2 minutes to detect the algorithm. Hacked.

"so if you can decode the signals that control the missiles with the OS you can hack into them."

Before you decode the signal you need its code 1st . As these computers are not connected outside , how you will get the code what you want to decode ? Will they use same algorithm as your computer programmers can decode & "combine diffrent algorithm " ? Please let me know what is your " Diffrent Algorithm " , what can be send with Jamming waves ?

Back
Top Bottom