What's new

Investment Ideas in Pakistan with $65,000 (Rs. 1 Crore)?

Agreed worst thing you could do with your money is put it in cash and see it slip through the fingers like sand. The other please don't fall for big brochures, ad for a real estate plan right out of paradise, so many among the ex-pats have burnt their fingers that it always saddens me, how people back home assume somehow dollars/pounds and euros grow on trees or are doled out free to expats. Anyways following is a discussion going on between few members including undersigned, you can find my views in it. They may help you a lot, what the other gentleman said about real estate in UK is a much better idea, our beach side condo in Vancouver has been paid off same way, we moved to USA and then back to Pakistan but both mortgages in Canada and U.S have been paid off through rentals. Here goes:

Mangus Ortus Novem

yaar 30yr Mortgage rate a 2.9% and yet Americans appear reluctant to buy...

T-Bills heading for 0% and Stock going Higher and Higher... for how long the CentralBankers can pumping liquidity into the FinancialSystem?

ps3linux

This is ridiculous, I mean even if I add a point or not to interest rate, for a half million mortgage with 70:30 sharing we are looking at 1,455-1,650 a month, that's bullcrap.

Unless someone is looking at another subprime problem or a housing crash. Drang!

Well must ready cash for acquisition of foreclosed prime property ;), isn't this which made trump enterprise, trump enterprise.

VCheng

Clearly the US economy is headed for a huge crash as multiple bubbles burst. Why not invest in areas of the world with more secure fundamentals?

ps3linux

Sir jee of course the US economy is heading for a crash and the writing is pretty much on the wall for a decade and so may be more, but crash is the time to buy and hold not the other way round.

Majority of the investors sell in a panic, but people with my kind of background find times like this as opportunity for long term positions. I would still prefer the US because I know the laws, the corners, the opportunities. It doesn't mean that I have not invested else where. I do off and on, depending on time in equities, metals at times options (rarely), farming, but I do consider myself somewhat better in metals. Made 11% in less than a month dollar terms from Pakistan equity market very recently, more than 20% in the last qtr in US equities. Not gloating but stating few facts, it can be done. As I mentioned elsewhere risk management is not to eliminate the risk, its there to manage the risk. I have a different risk appetite.

Why not invest in areas of the world with more secure fundamentals?

I would like you opinion to see if it aligns with mines. Last few months I’ve been offloading some US shares and getting into some Chinese ETFs and individual stocks directly from their exchange. Would you say China falls under your secure fundamentals theory?

Stocks have historically had much higher returns compared to land prices. Also dont need nearly as much to start off initially.

PSE is a very very attractive stock exchange. Esp price per earning are much lower than regional/global pears. Pakistans domestic market is huge and expected to grow substantially in the next decades.

If you have that much funds then invest in various stocks. Diversify your porfolio with the follow-

Consumer appliances
Technology
Energy sector
Banking

You will get much higher returns than real estate and much quicker. You will thank me later ;)

I am a newbie when it comes to stocks and I use RobinHood for my trading.

I am a newbie when it comes to stocks and I use RobinHood for my trading.

Switch to Interactive Brokers or E*Trade better execution of trades and pricing etc and the support system is excellent which is what you need Incase of issues and Robinhood doesn’t offer that.

Switch to Interactive Brokers or E*Trade better execution of trades and pricing etc and the support system is excellent which is what you need Incase of issues and Robinhood doesn’t offer that.

After the real estate purchase in Pakistan--which is being done except my Pakistani NICOP has expired--but being renewed, I may contact you for investment advice.

Speaking of NICOP... Yesterday I spent frustrating hours in the NADRA's NICOP renewal online application. Wife had a big laugh when she saw questions like 'What is some visible mark' (moles on the face), etc, etc! I am still in the application process--waiting for a damn ink-pad to arrive from Amazon so that I can record all ten fingers' prints in the precise manner they are asking for. Plus I had to figure out how to use an on-screen Urdu type-writer first time in life. Now, I was/am fluent in Urdu growing up in Pakistan, to the point of even writing mediocre poetry, so I figured it out.

The new online process is an improvement but some things just don't change fast enough!!

As to why my NICOP expired: I have been so used to the American date system of mm/dd/yyyy that the NICOP date dd/mm/yyyy was mistaken until the family in Karachi just pointed out that my NICOP has indeed expired. Otherwise, I am generally a well-organized person--like a Swiss--who puts up reminders in calendar for alerts about upcoming events well in advance. And there are multiple events every year--from changing the filters on the HVAC system to birthdays to official documents renewals. I think I should get an honorary Swiss citizenship!

After the real estate purchase in Pakistan--which is being done except my Pakistani NICOP has expired--but being renewed, I may contact you for investment advice.

Speaking of NICOP... Yesterday I spent frustrating hours in the NADRA's NICOP renewal online application. Wife had a big laugh when she saw questions like 'What is some visible mark' (moles on the face), etc, etc! I am still in the application process--waiting for a damn ink-pad to arrive from Amazon so that I can record all ten fingers' prints in the precise manner they are asking for. Plus I had to figure out how to use an on-screen Urdu type-writer first time in life. Now, I was/am fluent in Urdu growing up in Pakistan, to the point of even writing mediocre poetry, so I figured it out.

The new online process is an improvement but some things just don't change fast enough!!

As to why my NICOP expired: I have been so used to the American date system of mm/dd/yyyy that the NICOP date dd/mm/yyyy was mistaken until the family in Karachi just pointed out that my NICOP has indeed expired. Otherwise, I am generally a well-organized person--like a Swiss--who puts up reminders in calendar for alerts about upcoming events well in advance. And there are multiple events every year--from changing the filters on the HVAC system to birthdays to official documents renewals. I think I should get an honorary Swiss citizenship!

I'm always willing to help a fellow Pakistani succeed and become wealthy when each of us are strong collectively we are stronger as a unit.

I thank God, I married at the right time because when it came to that Urdu part she was able to complete it for me, as she studied back home in Pakistan, and a lot of homework and stuff was done on the PC. Lol.

The process is still cumbersome to be honest and the system often times had its' glitches and issue I had was with those finger prints some times a finger would be good on paper and the next finger so much ink was applied disfigured the print and had to start all over. :(

We still have to do my other 4 brothers, so let's see how that goes.

Do you by chance know if they are still shipping it from Pakistan after completing.

I thank God, I married at the right time because when it came to that Urdu part she was able to complete it for me, as she studied back home in Pakistan, and a lot of homework and stuff was done on the PC. Lol.

What? Are you an ABCD??
And, no, I don't know where they will ship it from. And I don't care: 'Don't count the trees. Just eat the mangoes!'.

I'm straight up ABCD hahaha

Hahaha! But try to change your flags to reflect your background better. It helps the forum.

I think you had inspired me with some Stock investment suggestions in another thread before--you and @Nilgiri and once this real estate purchase is finalized I will bug you two again!

welcome to pakistan . we are still living in 1900s

welcome to pakistan . we are still living in 1900s

Honestly, the current process is an improvement! For the Machine Readable Pakistani Passport, I had to actually go the Pak Embassy in Washington DC--several hundred miles drive. But wife and I at least got to see some nice places like the Smithsonian Zoo etc. The embassy staff was polite and professional. There was a brief, separate interview with a gentleman who, I think, was trying to see if I was really of Pakistani origin. My guess is that he was from Pakistani intelligence agencies. I think the misuse of the Pakistani passport, allegedly by Afghans, has necessitated extra scrutiny. Good!

The NICOP application was filed and should be approved by now. An official did email me to write down father's name in both English and Urdu, scan and send to him via email. Which I promptly did. But it's interesting that father's name is given more importance in Pakistan while in at least America it is the mother linkage which establishes lineage!

Anyway, I hope the NICOP info would help some other expat Pakistanis who may also buy properties in Pakistan.

Honestly, the current process is an improvement! For the Machine Readable Pakistani Passport, I had to actually go the Pak Embassy in Washington DC--several hundred miles drive. But wife and I at least got to see some nice places like the Smithsonian Zoo etc. The embassy staff was polite and professional. There was a brief, separate interview with a gentleman who, I think, was trying to see if I was really of Pakistani origin. My guess is that he was from Pakistani intelligence agencies. I think the misuse of the Pakistani passport, allegedly by Afghans, has necessitated extra scrutiny. Good!

The NICOP application was filed and should be approved by now. An official did email me to write down father's name in both English and Urdu, scan and send to him via email. Which I promptly did. But it's interesting that father's name is given more importance in Pakistan while in at least America it is the mother linkage which establishes lineage!

Anyway, I hope the NICOP info would help some other expat Pakistanis who may also buy properties in Pakistan.
it was first time in my life i got my wife passport via mail and applied online . great experience . i am ready to pay them extra just not to see their faces .

intelligence agency my arse anyone can make NCIOP with 5000 rupees in interior sindh and balochistan .

rather invest in dubai or something, why would you wanna invest in something thats not assured safety

Back
Top Bottom