What's new

Investment from US as US is sending 15 trade delegations to Pakistan next year: Wells

Trade delegation and its benefits would come slowly if at all. I would have preferred Donald Trump releasing the 12 Zulu Cobras & whatever is due to Pakistan from the Coalition Support Fund. right away.

Why bother trying to get something which they wont be releasing and compromise our National security/Honor and Dignity ?

The US has no issue if you like China's loan structure.
Apparently, it does. And regarding all your reservations, how about US comes open and forward saying we want to participate in a project in CPEC. We all can judge how transparent and welcoming CPEC is to non-Chinese companies... But all we see is US which has repeatedly sanctioned us and continues to undermine Pakistani interests, especially economical, continuing its rants and paranoa. It seems it is seeing itself losing too much all around the world with China being the main reason.

Apparently, it does. And regarding all your reservations, how about US comes openvand forward saying we want to participate in a project in CPEC. We all can judge how transparent and welcoming CPEC is to non-Chinese companies... But all we see is US which has repeatedly sanctioned us and continues to undermine Pakistani interests, especially economical, continuing its rants and paranoa. It seems it is seeing itself losing too much all around the world with China being the main reason.

I could not agree more with you. We'll be happy to be a part of CPEC, I can guarantee it. It would mean though the opening of the deal terms to transparency, allowing them to be open to citizens of Pakistan.

I'm all for it, the State dept of what I have read is all for it. Are the Chinese and Pakistan government open to allow such transparency?

I could not agree more with you. We'll be happy to be a part of CPEC, I can guarantee it. It would mean though the opening of the deal terms to transparency, allowing them to be open to citizens of Pakistan.

I'm all for it, the State dept of what I have read is all for it. Are the Chinese and Pakistan government open to allow such transparency?
You are more than welcome in investing in Pakistan and be part of CPEC as well as long as it's not conditional to do fight for you in any war.

When we send trade delegations, our investing companies and efforts always come with the following:

1. We will be transparent. You will know the terms of the investment, loans, or aid.
2. We will happily submit our business, investment terms, and or loan terms to world bodies that are in place to ensure the loaner is not getting fleeced. Typically referred to as the Paris group. No hidden terms of high-interest deals from the citizens
3. We will not insist that workers, companies, and support shall be only American companies. OR demand as a part of the deal that American workers will be shifted into your country over hiring your workforce.
4. Our investing companies will provide skill-based training and an ecosystem that ensures the host country's workforce learn, get skilled, and can be a workforce that can run things on their own.

1. you will ask for govt of your choice
2. you will ask for Army Chief of your choice.
3. You will ask that money you give should only go back to you...buy only from us, or used by only your NGOs.
4. You will ask for a free hand for your NGOs.
5. you will ask for control over media.
6. yes you will give easier interests terms as long as everything in our country is done by your wishes.
7. Oh...before i forget, free hand for your diplomats (CIA)

but remember party is over, you wont get any of these assurities and hence your trade delegation will leave with few MOUs only.

1. you will ask for govt of your choice
2. you will ask for Army Chief of your choice.
3. You will ask that money you give should only go back to you...buy only from us, or used by only your NGOs.
4. You will ask for a free hand for your NGOs.
5. you will ask for control over media.
6. yes you will give easier interests terms as long as everything in our country is done by your wishes.
7. Oh...before i forget, free hand for your diplomats (CIA)

but remember party is over, you wont get any of these assurities and hence your trade delegation will leave with few MOUs only.
Creative responses, yet unfair because you can't show me a single instance of any of them being true.

This is a new poly for a new wave of terrorism within the country. I bet the investments will be in Balluscistan, Old tribal KPK, and parts of the Sindh province. Pakistan should look at the Us foreign policy with suspicion.

Also, Pakistan should go ahead and build the Iran pipeline and connect with china. Its the only way to be Energy free and give pakistani businesses a fighting chance.

I guess allice wells told a lie when she said I don't come with government-sponsored contracts when I speak to foreign ambassadors.

it's not about Pakistan but to secure US position as global superpower by not letting china to expand BRI; which once completed and running will take china way beyond US economically. Pakistan shall stick to CPEC and rather enhance it further. Future belong to China and Pakistan growing together economically.

Are the Chinese and Pakistan government open to allow such transparency?

Pakistan and China's relationship and dealings are our bilateral matter; it's none of US business.

Why bother trying to get something which they wont be releasing and compromise our National security/Honor and Dignity ?

Honorable Starlord,

The following is from publication 'The Security Assistance Monitor':

"Coalition Support Funds (CSF) refers to money from the Defense Emergency Response Fund (DERF) that is eligible to be used to reimburse coalition partners for logistical and military support to U.S. military operations."
http://securityassistance.org/content/coalition support funds

and

"CSF funds, which fall under Defense Department authority, are covered by the freeze, said Pentagon spokesman Commander Patrick Evans, saying Congress authorized up to $900 million in such money for Pakistan for fiscal year 2017, which ended Sept. 30. None of that money has yet been disbursed.

The freeze also covers $255 million in FMF for the fiscal year 2016, which falls under State Department authority and whose suspension has already been announced, as well as unspecified amounts of FMF that went unspent in earlier fiscal years."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ion-in-security-aid-to-pakistan-idUSKBN1ET2DX

Only the Foreign Military Assistance (FMF) is 'Aid'. The rest is neither aid nor a gift but refund of the actual expense by Pakistan for participating in the US-sponsored "War against Terror. US action is unfair & a bullying tactic.

IMO these funds are due to Pakistan and asking for these funds release would neither compromise our security nor our dignity.

Honorable Starlord,

The following is from publication 'The Security Assistance Monitor':

"Coalition Support Funds (CSF) refers to money from the Defense Emergency Response Fund (DERF) that is eligible to be used to reimburse coalition partners for logistical and military support to U.S. military operations."
http://securityassistance.org/content/coalition support funds

and

"CSF funds, which fall under Defense Department authority, are covered by the freeze, said Pentagon spokesman Commander Patrick Evans, saying Congress authorized up to $900 million in such money for Pakistan for fiscal year 2017, which ended Sept. 30. None of that money has yet been disbursed.

The freeze also covers $255 million in FMF for the fiscal year 2016, which falls under State Department authority and whose suspension has already been announced, as well as unspecified amounts of FMF that went unspent in earlier fiscal years."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ion-in-security-aid-to-pakistan-idUSKBN1ET2DX

Only the Foreign Military Assistance (FMF) is 'Aid'. The rest is neither aid nor a gift but refund of the actual expense by Pakistan for participating in the US-sponsored "War against Terror. US action is unfair & a bullying tactic.

IMO these funds are due to Pakistan and asking for these funds release would neither compromise our security nor our dignity.

Oh Sir than I misunderstood your post, I am not in favor of Aid but the money US owes to Pakistan must be paid . I in that case i do agree that it would be better if they release those funds .

Dams are done through grants or loans and are a tremendous investment to ask for through just grants. A loan is a better route, and doing it through the IMF, World Bank or similar organizations is a better way to go about it. The US has tremendous influence over the IMF, World Bank in accepting such applications and could help. BUT frankly, right now is not the best of times for Pakistan to try it.
Follow the Chinese model, IMF is a scam. Build, own transfer or do direct investment. For US govt investing billion $ a year for few years, specially when recipients of contract are US firms is not a big deal. It’s a win win situation for everyone involve. US foreign policy, US construction firms and Pakistan people. Atleast than US govt will have some to brag about.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom