What's new

India's First indigenous aircraft carrier to be launched this December.

No,INS Vikrant will carry 30 fixed wing fighters and 10 Helicopters onboard.
By the way,couldn't they have used glass reinforced plastic-carbon composite combo instead of steel to build the hull??It could have made the Vikrant much lighter,tougher and increased the speed and range.
that is good but i think it only carry total 30 a/c. Part of bold i dnt know but if it is true then it will be good.
hope you have right news.

Floats out .. Means the Hull has left the dock,and thats less than 40% of the total work..Still a long way to go for completion.

don'nt make CSL cry............it is launched means it is completed more than 50% not less than 40..
it is only launched.........it will make final sea trials in 2013 and commisining time would be 2014

don'nt make CSL cry............it is launched means it is completed more than 50% not less than 40..
it is only launched.........it will make final sea trials in 2013 and commisining time would be 2014

Keel laid in 2009,and that means it took them 2 years to construct the main hull only,and thats a much straight forward job compared to Building the Decks,Installing all the Weapon systems and electronics......Expect another 3 to 4 years for completion,if Navy is lucky...
I reckon 2016..Mark my words..

Keel laid in 2009,and that means it took them 2 years to construct the main hull only,and thats a much straight forward job compared to Building the Decks,Installing all the Weapon systems and electronics......Expect another 3 to 4 years for completion,if Navy is lucky...

that's what i am trying to say..........main frame is completed..........system integration don'nt take much time as compared to constructing main body acc. to design.

navy will get first IAC in 2014...........and second in 2017.

After facing initial hiccups due to paucity of supply of steel, the carrier project got the much-required thrust with the Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory (DMRL) and the Steel Authority of India (SAIL) fashioning carrier-grade steel indigenously.

After the steel supply stabilised, problems pertaining to quality gearbox put the brakes on the project. Elecon Engineering Company Limited, a Gujarat-based firm which had earlier manufactured CODOG marine gear boxes for the Navy's Shivalik-class stealth frigates, found itself in the red attempting to make the carrier's huge main gearboxes. “They have been able to overcome the difficulties with support from a German firm,” said a Navy officer.

Some Quotes from News:
1. Kudos to SAIL (Steel Authority of India ltd) to work on Plan B and produce Ship-grade Steel.
2. Kudos to "Gujarat-based firm" which worked on Plan B and proposed rapid solution on gear box...

In the defending mode,we can kick USN too (i think!)

Defending is sometime easy. Yes we can do it. But I don't think USA has Richard Nixon now. Our relation with USA became good now and theirs relation with Pakistan is on all time low.

So USN in no case confront India. In case of Indo-Pak war they will not send there 7th fleet as well. So this question is pointless.

great news ... it will carry 16 -- Mig 29k/N-Tejas combo ... will provide good air defence to nearby battle group...and will be more than enough to handle any navy ships other than USN ... great news :)

I may like to correct you on figure. INS Vikadi (Vikramaditya) was a battle-cruiser cum aircraft carrier. When it was converted to Pure aircraft carrier, design was not change, hence it can carry less fighter planes.

While INS Vikrant (IAC1) is design as aircraft carrier, so it will carry more fighters than Vikadi(instead of same displacement). Some expert suggest that 29MiG29K + 6NLCA = 35 fighters. Some say it will carry 30 fighter aircrafts and 10 other (helos).

Having saying I would like to tell you how ACs operates. (Just for information)
1. When AC leave dock, it doesn't carry fighter planes,
2. when it reaches high sea, the fighters and helos fly from sea sore and land on deck.
3. If AC is not far from mainland, Its easy to replace fighter planes if lost in combat or accident.
4. So supply of fighter will not be problem if We are operating AC within 1000 nautical miles.

Your word is marked. Having said that I may try to put some points. The project is delayed by 8-9 months, The phase I was supposed to end by April which end on December. (Due to steel embargo The Hindu : National : Keel-laying of indigenous aircraft carrier in December )

The second phase is suppose to end on April 2014. Most of the subsystem are ready (We have gain experience on Shivalic and delhi class ships). Once transmission is ready , I think it will not take longer time. and moreover as the ship has modular design, the next ships will not take more time.

Some old pics

aircraft-carrier-67.jpg

aircraft-carrier-68.jpg

What if there is a leak , and this thing goes down , can Indian engineers pull it out of underwater , I mean just in case if there is a leak ?

What if there is a leak , and this thing goes down , can Indian engineers pull it out of underwater , I mean just in case if there is a leak ?

Depends upon how big is the leak. If it is small leak, it will take years to sink, By the time leak will be fixed. If it is little larger leak still it will take months. If it is huge hole, then also it will be tugged. So there is no chance that ship may sink...

Dude, its carrier, not wooden boat..

Some old pics

aircraft-carrier-67.jpg

aircraft-carrier-68.jpg

These are not of IAC. Most likely US nimitz class under construction from the looks of it.

IAC 1 is delayed and it is quite clear from the article that the progress has been slow. It is also obvious that the move out of the dry dock was forced upon CSL due to other commitments as noted in the article. Also lack of propulsion system at this stage indicates atleat another 5-6 years of construction left at the very least. I will not be surprised if we see IAC-1 delayed by 3-4 years (2017-2018 commissioning!)

The above picture is the last google earth update (late 2010) and it is quite clear that there is still a long way to go!

Another 4 to 5 years for commissioning. Lets be realistic. Problem is IAC 2 will also have design changes, hence the learning curve will remain steep and lengthy for us for the medium term future atleast.

Don't see what options we have though, we must continue on the difficult path and try to develope / mature private sector to play more part.

Back
Top Bottom