What's new

Indian Special Forces

I read some report which said majority of Indian soldiers died due to head shots. Can't find the link now.. will try..

Unlikely... think about it: How much is the headarea which is covered by the helmet if you look at a person from the front?
Not much... probably just around 1/3 of the head (If you look at a person frontally) and much much much less compared to the rest of the body.

Now ask yourself how many people are taught to aim for these very small areas?
Not many either.

How much is the chance of hitting someone into the forehead in a real combat situation (Which is NOT like in video games or movies)
Very small.

Now compare this to the chance of getting hit by shrapnel, stuff falling down (happens quite a lot in war) or somebody simly falling down (Even the simplest falls on your head can put you out of action)

Its all about compromises between protection and mobility/comfort... and in this case, the latter ones win, as shown by almost every military force in the world.

Unlikely... think about it: How much is the headarea which is covered by the helmet if you look at a person from the front?
Not much... probably just around 1/3 of the head (If you look at a person frontally) and much much much less compared to the rest of the body.

Not many either.

How much is the chance of hitting someone into the forehead in a real combat situation (Which is NOT like in video games or movies)
Very small.

Now compare this to the chance of getting hit by shrapnel, stuff falling down (happens quite a lot in war) or somebody simly falling down (Even the simplest falls on your head can put you out of action)

Its all about compromises between protection and mobility/comfort... and in this case, the latter ones win, as shown by almost every military force in the world.

http://medind.nic.in/maa/t09/i2/maat09i2p103.pdf

You need not hit head precisely. I am very skeptic that patka can save one from direct sniper head shot... concussion wounds would be sufficient for death. You also need to account for modus operandii of terrorists. They can't fight IA face to face hence go for ambush..

I am so proud that we took such a bold step and now we should use drones and satellites to find more camps and destroy them once and for all.Killing 50 rebels with a team of 20-40 men in such raids and not having casualties shows how highly the units standards are.

What this also proves is @Abingdonboy that like i told you a Para SF unit is given a specialty of an area like 21 SF is in NE for last 8-9 years and 10 Para aka Desert scorpions is in Rajasthan for desert raids and 9 Para for kashmir.

9Para and SFF cross train.

and lastly Army only calls anyone but armymen for special operations.This is because they believe they can do it and only this can raise the morale of the soldiers.

What we lacked today was PR team to highly publicise the operation using helmet camera and feed from the drones which could put in real fear in our enemies heart.

The best weapons are those which are never used.Fear is a great weapon.
The problem is the mentality of the SFs is to be almost invisible and to avoid publicising their operations where possible.

I 100% agree the IA higher ups need to use these opportunities to showcase the abilities of their operators and the Indian military as a whole.

Not many either.

Very small.

By your logic we should watch out for Pakistani bowlers tan bullets in war!

The chance of getting injured/killed by splinters, shrapnel, trauma, debris.. etc is much much higher than getting shot in the small are that is covered by a helmet/patka. Apart from that, the vast majority of soldiers are trained to aim for bigger areas of the body.

Not really, both the Tavor and INSAS fire the same ammo and have similar muzzle velocities, yet the Tavor is lighter, handier, has better in built optics etc etc

And again, I am not saying that there hasnt been any improvements, but saying that we are at world class level is simply wrong

By your logic even tin buckets would suffice. But IA extensively uses PATKA in ops. Why?

You need foreign investment and massive domestic orders for an Indian Tavor. But if orders are large this happens :

w9UEoBN.jpg

Excalibur in IA service

small-arms-insas-excaliber_ybaygk.jpg

unvy8Zg.jpg

Ishapore factory develops Indian variant of AK-47 - The Times of India

Last edited:
using helmet camera and feed from the drones which could put in real fear in our enemies heart.
I would pay for this privilege :(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the SPG's 760Lis in BD:

tumblr_nppb73P6HH1tjfjuco1_1280.png

Sorry to say it but the SSF (BD's SPG equivalent) who formed part of the security cover of the PM's visit to BD (alongside the SPG) look very amateurish from all I have seen of them during the coverage of this visit.

The problem is the mentality of the SFs is to be almost invisible and to avoid publicising their operations where possible.

I 100% agree the IA higher ups need to use these opportunities to showcase the abilities of their operators and the Indian military as a whole.

Ya bro.

30 minutes in and out time and no casualty plus the operation being carried out in low visibilty in the early morning hours using NVG in a terrain with hills and thick foliage is pretty good.

I would pay for this privilege :(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the SPG's 760Lis in BD:

tumblr_nppb73P6HH1tjfjuco1_1280.png

Sorry to say it but the SSF (BD's SPG equivalent) who formed part of the security cover of the PM's visit to BD (alongside the SPG) look very amateurish from all I have seen of them during the coverage of this visit.

Sir, the reasons?

Also I didn't see any SPG CAT? Given that situation in BD is volatile with lots of modi hating islamists, he should have gone there with much higher number of SPG personnels. In the videos I only saw a few SPG agents and he was overwhelmingly surrounded by SSF personnels.

This is a dhruv which was not part of the operation.

I think the theory of 'insertion' which the Army has given is flawed.

They guys would have crossed the border and waited all night for the attack helos for CAS in the morning.

Army says its operators carried out rappeling at dawn which would be risky and if they carried out the rappeling with no light then it is almost impossible to do so with NVG in this thick folliage.

This is a dhruv which was not part of the operation.

I think the theory of 'insertion' which the Army has given is flawed.

They guys would have crossed the border and waited all night for the attack helos for CAS in the morning.

Army says its operators carried out rappeling at dawn which would be risky and if they carried out the rappeling with no light then it is almost impossible to do so with NVG in this thick folliage.

It's not related to the op, but never the less a good pic. With a Dhruv Mark 3 in the background.

http://medind.nic.in/maa/t09/i2/maat09i2p103.pdf

You need not hit head precisely. I am very skeptic that patka can save one from direct sniper head shot... concussion wounds would be sufficient for death. You also need to account for modus operandii of terrorists. They can't fight IA face to face hence go for ambush..

Interesting read, never saw it before.
Any information on the distribution of non lethal injuries? That would give us a bigger picture.

By your logic even tin buckets would suffice. But IA extensively uses PATKA in ops. Why?

Tin buckets are heavy, uncomfortable, etc.. while Patkas are the opposite of that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom