What's new

Indian Navy to have 100 combat jets, 500 aircraft

Referring to the two new tankers that Indian Navy has inducted this year for deployment on the Eastern and Western sea boards, Adm Verma said India now has the capability to operate two task forces on the either side of India's coast simultaneously.

"The two tankers inducted are going to provide us long legs. Two tankers on either coast will make it possible to operate two task forces at greater distances for longer periods," he said.

On the delays in the follow-on conventional submarines project codenamed P75I, Adm Verma said since this was navy's last opportunity to build its own design capabilities in terms of stealth and other technologies, it was taking time to define what it wants to achieve for indigenous capabilities from the project.

He also said the navy did not want to end up in a single vendor situation for P75I, thereby forcing it to "redo" the tendering that would put back the procurement plans by several more years.

"We have to be very clear as to what we are asking for, as we don't want to land up in a situation where we have to redo the process, like it happened in some cases and defence programmes," he said.

The navy, Adm Verma said, has on order 49 ships and submarines of which 45 are from Indian shipyards.

He also noted that the navy was planning to set up an amphibious warfare training complex at Kakinada on the Andhra Pradesh coast to raise troops that can wage war by landing on enemy shores.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

India also plans to induct the INS Vikramaditya (erstwhile Admiral Gorshkov) aircraft carrier from Russia by this year end, apart from inducting nine other major surface warships such as one Shivalik class frigate, another Kolkata class destroyer, an anti-submarine warfare corvette, an offshore patrol vessel, two follow-on Talwar class frigates from Russia, apart from three catamaran survey vessels and 25 fast interceptor craft.

With regard to the Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) being built at Cochin Shipyard, Adm Verma said it was "a setback of sorts" that it could not be launched into the waters this month as originally planned due to delays in procurement of critical equipment that needed to be integrated on the ship before hitting the waters.

"Hopefully by middle of next year or so (we should launch the IAC), that's my assessment and hope," he added.

I won't be surprised if F-18 SH future variant is selected, its a good bird and have excellent prospects.

F-18_Hornet_1.jpg

AI2011_F-18F-5293.jpg

F-18_Hornet.jpg

F-18_Hornet_2.jpg

I hope they'll provide us an upgraded engine with better TWR.

WTF is with this obsession with American $hit. After all that has happened a decade ago(sea kings, Harriers, Tejas etc etc) still their crap are mentioned like nothing ever happened. After all that is happening just next door to a country now, U.S poop is mentioned like nothing ever happened. It's bad enough several non critical purchases were made by this pro-U.S govt through govt-govt deals, now their $hit needs to be into purely offensive platform like fighters as well?

I'm glad the Armed forces are not made of forum fanboys. Else this country would have lost it's sovereignty long ago.

I won't be surprised if F-18 SH future variant is selected, its a good bird and have excellent prospects.

F-18_Hornet_1.jpg

Bhai, there's a reason why MRCA went to Rafale... here's the clue; it wasn't technical requirements alone. :coffee:

Bhai, there's a reason why MRCA went to Rafale... here's the clue; it wasn't technical requirements alone. :coffee:

Heh heh heh

Rafale M For INDIAN NAVY unless US offers us 40 F35Cs for less than 5 Billion USD

Arrey i know, i followed every development in MMRCA process.

Something that heavily weighted against F-18s in 2009.

1. Practically no ToT for Radar and ECMs.
2. Lower TWR, 0.93 with clean config and 50% fuel.
3. USN looking forward to replace F-18SHs with F-35s around 2020, which seems unlikely now b'coz of delays in JSF project.
4. Strings attached.

Indian Navy don't have any issues with ToT, so Hornets has a fair chance to win N-MRCA.

Arrey i know, i followed every development in MMRCA process.

Something that heavily weighted against F-18s in 2009.

1. Practically no ToT for Radar and ECMs.
2. Lower TWR, 0.93 with clean config and 50% fuel.
3. USN looking forward to replace F-18SHs with F-35s around 2020, which seems unlikely now b'coz of delays in JSF project.
4. Strings attached.

Indian Navy don't have any issues with ToT, so Hornets has a fair chance to win N-MRCA.
IN is even more fiercely independent and indigenization-oriented than IAF. What's more; they're supporters of more commonality.

My inkling is that, IN will not go for foreign aircraft as INS Vishal will join us easily around 2020-22. By that time N-PAK FA (which Russia also wants) will come as an offshoot of standard production of air force PAK FA. We should go for that. Or even develop AMCA into a totally Naval dedicated fighter like how Super Hornets became a Navy fighter type. HAL has experience now after making Tejas' naval variant. AMCA could also be modified like that. Being lighter and smaller than PAK FA, it would serve as an excellent carrier aircraft.

If this doesn't happen in worst case scenario, IN might go for Rafale-M for additional systems commonality with IAF Rafales.

Please note that MiG-29K also was considered along the same lines (at least systems wise if not structure-wise).

IN is even more fiercely independent and indigenization-oriented than IAF. What's more; they're supporters of more commonality.

My inkling is that, IN will not go for foreign aircraft as INS Vishal will join us easily around 2020-22. By that time N-PAK FA (which Russia also wants) will come as an offshoot of standard production of air force PAK FA. We should go for that. Or even develop AMCA into a totally Naval dedicated fighter like how Super Hornets became a Navy fighter type. HAL has experience now after making Tejas' naval variant. AMCA could also be modified like that. Being lighter and smaller than PAK FA, it would serve as an excellent carrier aircraft.

If this doesn't happen in worst case scenario, IN might go for Rafale-M for additional systems commonality with IAF Rafales.

Please note that MiG-29K also was considered along the same lines (at least systems wise if not structure-wise).

I'm not big supporter of Naval PAK-FA, operating an heavy aircraft off an aircraft carrier is a big pain, remember why USN retired F-14s so early and pursued inferior F-18s as a naval carrier? Russia favored Mig-29Ks over much superior Sukhoi-33. So we can't say the same story will be repeated in T-50 or not. :undecided:

And let first prototype AMCA hit the sky before 2018, i'm not betting a penny on N-AMCA before 2025, given the reluctancy shown by Mods of both IAF and IN for its development.

If Navy will go for Birds it will beogical to have
#1. Rafale M : with india having production Lines fir IAF its the most suitable bird for IAF,IN and Nuclear Command

#2. Mig29 K : they ae familier wit it. Remember IAF favored havily for Mirages.....

#3. N PAK FA and LCA : Depends on Time and Availability. These will be Good Home Made Choices. If IN has stealth in Mind PAKFA is the answer.

I dont think American birds or an other hv chances. ToT issues and Sanctions will be biggest hurdles

If Navy will go for Birds it will beogical to have
#1. Rafale M : with india having production Lines fir IAF its the most suitable bird for IAF,IN and Nuclear Command

#2. Mig29 K : they ae familier wit it. Remember IAF favored havily for Mirages.....

#3. N PAK FA and LCA : Depends on Time and Availability. These will be Good Home Made Choices. If IN has stealth in Mind PAKFA is the answer.

I dont think American birds or an other hv chances. ToT issues and Sanctions will be biggest hurdles

ToT has never been the issue with IN, and they have their own evaluation team. Who knows, F-18 can emerge as a winner.

And sanctions is a thing of past now, things are quite different from 90s. I'm not saying F-18 will win, but the competition is fare and open for all. And diplomatic favors can't be ruled out.

For me, Rafale or Super Hornet, both will be fine.

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

does it matter :chilli:

Yes, it matters a lot. :devil:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom