What's new

Indian in US Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Sleeping Woman on Flight

FalconStar

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
WASHINGTON: A 35-year-old Indian IT manager has been convicted of sexually assaulting a sleeping woman aboard a Detroit-bound flight in the US, media reports said on Friday.

Prabhu Ramamoorthy, who worked for an IT company for over two years, will be sentenced on December 12 by US District Judge Terrence Berg, The Detroit Newsreported.

Ramamoorthy faces up to life in prison. If released, he will be deported to India.

The verdict came seven months after he assaulted the 22-year-old woman during a Spirit Airlines flight from Las Vegas while his wife sat in the next seat, the report said.

A federal jury in Michigan's largest city Detroit convicted Ramamoorthy, who lived in Rochester Hills city, of sexually assaulting the woman.

Following a five-day trial, the jury deliberated for less than four hours before convicting Ramamoorthy, it said.

"We will not tolerate the behaviour of anyone who takes advantage of victims who are in a vulnerable position, and we are glad the jury agreed," US Attorney Matthew Schneider said in a statement.

"We appreciate the victim in this case for her courage to speak out," Schneider said.
Recommended By Colombia

The woman said she was sitting in a window seat next to Ramamoorthy, whose wife was in the aisle seat.

The victim said that she fell asleep and woke up to discover a hand in her pants and noticed that her pants were unbuttoned and her shirt untied. When she woke up, the man stopped, and the woman alerted a flight attendant, the report said.

Ramamoorthy initially told investigators that he was in a deep sleep and did not do anything, it said.
Later, he told an FBI agent he "might have" undone the woman's bra and cupped her breast, according to court records, the report added.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ping-woman-on-flight/articleshow/65442868.cms

I think India is vying to make this an Olympic sport eventually.

But seriously though Indian government and public needs to do something about this. It's gone way beyond the limits now, their's something seriously wrong in the thinking of their society and the way they react to these news is like nothing happened. It seems they have accepted this to be part of normal life, pretty much like US public has accepted school shootings to be normal.

I know many people will make Indian rapist jokes. But to be fair. The American justice system is very prejudiced against men, and very feminist in general. They will consider many small petty things as “sexual harassment”. Hope the man gets a fair trial and small punishment.

I know many people will make Indian rapist jokes. But to be fair. The American justice system is very prejudiced against men, and very feminist in general. They will consider many small petty things as “sexual harassment”. Hope the man gets a fair trial and small punishment.
I know western justice system favors women a lot, but not in this case as it says in article he told the FBI agent he undid her bra and cupped her breasts. So not so innocent in this case.

It would be better just to deport him back to India and declare him persona non grata. I'm sure his life is already a living hell.

WTF?!?! You are condoning this behavior? No, he needs a severe punishment.

I guess it's not just western justice system that is prejudiced against men but even the Asian countries are turning out to be the same. These days any women can get away with their mistakes/crimes by potraying the men as a sex offender and we have quite a lot of East Asians at my workplace who said their systems are quite biased towards men and I could vouch the same for India.

I'm not sure how the situation is in Central and West Asia

Back
Top Bottom