What's new

India to become world's 5th largest economy by 2020: Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMF predicts that Chinese economy will overtake US in 2016,but I dont really believe it.predictions are just for fun,no one should take them seriously.

IMF Predicts Chinese Economy to Surpass U.S. in 2016

Published April 25, 2011

| FoxNews.com

IMF Predicts Chinese Economy To Surpass U.S. In 2016 | Fox News

more funny one is this report,saying Chinese economy already overtook US in 2010.

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/01/14/did_chinas_economy_overtake_the_us_in_2010

Search PDF - you will find lot of projection

2nd Part - Yeh i believe India will be cum no. 1 :cheers:

You have to understand few points:

1. As of today as per world bank data India is world's 9th largest economy. :smitten:

2. We will be 5th largest by 2020. :tup:

3. As you are saying about no. 1 position that will take very long time by 2050.

India was also projected to register 10+% growth rates from this year, what happened with that?

Global slowdown, Anna hazare movement, policy paralysis govt. officials and politicians are not approving projects because of the fear that they can be accused of kickback or corruption.

I think if you are genuinely interested, following example will help:

Indian tycoon has tons of cash, nowhere to invest - Houston Chronicle

Ajay Piramal has got tons of cash but nowhere to invest - The Economic Times

I though they were going to beat China (world 2nd) by 2020 but this is more like an admission of defeat in sugar loathed words yet Indians cannot stop cheering over it..so from world 2nd to 5th..thats actually a downgrade

I though they were going to beat China (world 2nd) by 2020 but this is more like an admission of defeat in sugar loathed words yet Indians cannot stop cheering over it..so from world 2nd to 5th..thats actually a downgrade

there was never a report which says that...update yourself

Projections are pretty meaningless, as they are after all, projections. And no one can project the coming years, or even the next few months.

Here's investment strategist Stephen Roach (Morgan Stanley) on why India is riskier than China:

India is more problematic. As the only economy in Asia with a current-account deficit, its external funding problems can hardly be taken lightly. Like China, India’s economic-growth momentum is ebbing. But unlike China, the downshift is more pronounced – GDP growth fell through the 7% threshold in the third calendar-year quarter of 2011, and annual industrial output actually fell by 5.1% in October.

But the real problem is that, in contrast to China, Indian authorities have far less policy leeway. For starters, the rupee is in near free-fall. That means that the Reserve Bank of India – which has hiked its benchmark policy rate 13 times since the start of 2010 to deal with a still-serious inflation problem – can ill afford to ease monetary policy. Moreover, an outsize consolidated government budget deficit of around 9% of GDP limits India’s fiscal-policy discretion.

While China is in better shape than India, neither economy is likely to implode on its own. It would take another shock to trigger a hard landing in Asia.

One obvious possibility today would be a disruptive breakup of the European Monetary Union. In that case, both China and India, like most of the world’s economies, could find themselves in serious difficulty – with an outright contraction of Chinese exports, as in late 2008 and early 2009, and heightened external funding pressures for India.

While I remain a euro-skeptic, I believe that the political will to advance European integration will prevail. Consequently, I attach a low probability to the currency union’s disintegration. Barring such a worst-case outcome for Europe, the odds of a hard landing in either India or China should remain low.

Seduced by the political economy of false prosperity, the West has squandered its might. Driven by strategy and stability, Asia has built on its newfound strength. But now it must reinvent itself. Japanese-like stagnation in the developed world is challenging externally dependent Asia to shift its focus to internal demand. Downside pressures currently squeezing China and India underscore that challenge. Asia’s defining moment could be hand.

Why India is Riskier than China - Stephen S. Roach - Project Syndicate

Projections are pretty meaningless, as they are after all, projections. And no one can project the coming years, or even the next few months.

Agree 100%.. Tell that to Mr Aryan though... He believes other wise while predicting the collapse of US Dollar.. ;)

Buddy, you really need some economics classes, first get knowledge of what is GDP(nominal), GDP(PPP) instead of talking bullshit here. This year, we have overtaken Japan to become 3rd largest economy in terms of GDP(PPP) and Canada to reach 9th rank in GDP(nominal)

Here's investment strategist Stephen Roach (Morgan Stanley) on why India is riskier than China:

India is more problematic. As the only economy in Asia with a current-account deficit, its external funding problems can hardly be taken lightly. Like China, India’s economic-growth momentum is ebbing. But unlike China, the downshift is more pronounced – GDP growth fell through the 7% threshold in the third calendar-year quarter of 2011, and annual industrial output actually fell by 5.1% in October.

But the real problem is that, in contrast to China, Indian authorities have far less policy leeway. For starters, the rupee is in near free-fall. That means that the Reserve Bank of India – which has hiked its benchmark policy rate 13 times since the start of 2010 to deal with a still-serious inflation problem – can ill afford to ease monetary policy. Moreover, an outsize consolidated government budget deficit of around 9% of GDP limits India’s fiscal-policy discretion.

While China is in better shape than India, neither economy is likely to implode on its own. It would take another shock to trigger a hard landing in Asia.

One obvious possibility today would be a disruptive breakup of the European Monetary Union. In that case, both China and India, like most of the world’s economies, could find themselves in serious difficulty – with an outright contraction of Chinese exports, as in late 2008 and early 2009, and heightened external funding pressures for India.

While I remain a euro-skeptic, I believe that the political will to advance European integration will prevail. Consequently, I attach a low probability to the currency union’s disintegration. Barring such a worst-case outcome for Europe, the odds of a hard landing in either India or China should remain low.

Seduced by the political economy of false prosperity, the West has squandered its might. Driven by strategy and stability, Asia has built on its newfound strength. But now it must reinvent itself. Japanese-like stagnation in the developed world is challenging externally dependent Asia to shift its focus to internal demand. Downside pressures currently squeezing China and India underscore that challenge. Asia’s defining moment could be hand.

Why India is Riskier than China - Stephen S. Roach - Project Syndicate

I wish you read more articles on how uncontrolled use of LSD can permafry you. I hope it isn't late.

India was also projected to register 10+% growth rates from this year onwards, what happened with that?
Same for China..guess what happened?

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

That was an ambition...but be realistic..9th to 5th..is that a downgrade?

PPP my dear friend... Imdia is already fourth largest in terms of PPP
Once in the world bank table was updated in the wikipedia for some days,about PPP of india @ around 4.4 trillion $..
I m sure it was updated, but they just removed it after sometime..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom