What's new

India 'concerned' over China running Gwadar port

China’s Return to Port Near Persian Gulf Sets Off Regional Alarm Bells

China

CNSNews.com) – In a decision raising fresh concern about China’s ambitions in South Asia and the Indian Ocean, Pakistan has agreed to hand over to Chinese control a deep-water port, strategically located near the mouth of the Persian Gulf.

The Pakistani cabinet decision to transfer management of Gwadar to a Chinese government-owned company closes a circle for Beijing, which put up most of the funding a decade ago to build the facility in the first place.

During the construction phase, China periodically dismissed reports that the port would be used for People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) activity, fears that appeared unfounded when upon the port’s completion in 2007, Pakistan signed an agreement with Port of Singapore Authority (PSA) International to run it for 40 years.

But Islamabad has complained about slow progress in expanding the operations and, six years later, has turned once again to its “all-weather friend,” China.

For China, whose Chinese Overseas Port Holdings will now run the port, Gwadar offers a host of advantages.

Currently most of China’s oil imports from the Gulf travel the long sea route through the Malacca Strait and the South China Sea. Gwadar, located just 250 miles from the Strait of Hormuz, could be the key to a new route for oil and other commodities, via pipeline, road and rail links through Pakistan, into western China. (Those same routes could benefit the land-locked republics of Central Asia, too.)

Gwadar also offers berthing and resupply facilities for Chinese ships, both commercial vessels and, possibly in the future, PLAN warships.

The move has stoked fears in India that China is pursuing a so-called “encirclement” policy, in collaboration with New Delhi’s historical arch-rival, Pakistan.

India’s Daily News and Analysis newspaper said in an editorial Monday that “few in India believe China” when it comes to its assurances about its Gwadar presence.

“India too depends ships and open shipping lanes for meeting most of its energy requirements; any threat to this shipping lane is a threat to India,” it said.

“The very fact that Chinese naval ships might soon dock at Gwadar, from where they are hours away from disrupting shipping lanes to India, is a policy-maker’s strategic nightmare. The fear that the presence of Chinese ships might make Islamabad more adventurous is also a concern.”

According to India-based regional security analyst Bahukutumbi Raman, the Pakistan Navy was unenthusiastic about the Singaporean operation and created difficulties for PSA International over the transfer of land at the port needed for infrastructure facilities and warehouses.

“In the eyes of the Pakistan Navy, the Chinese taking over the responsibility for the operation of the port will have two advantages,” Raman wrote in a paper for the South Asia Analysis Group think tank.

“Firstly, the Chinese, with their reputation for the timely construction of projects, will be able to get the languishing operations revived quickly. Secondly, it could prove to be the first step towards China agreeing to a Pakistani request for upgrading the port into a naval base, available for joint use by the Pakistani and Chinese navies.”

aaa1_649.jpg

‘String of pearls’

Chinese state media disputed that the Gwadar agreement poses a threat to any country.

“Not surprisingly, China’s intentions in taking over Gwadar Port have been interpreted through a military perspective,” the Communist Party-affiliated Global Times said in a commentary Friday.

“Chinese operational control of Gwadar has seemingly set off alarm bells in India as it feels it is being encircled by China. The Chinese presence in Gwadar has also been seen as a threat to the U.S. fleet in the Middle East.

“In fact, China is not so powerful, nor is India so weak, so as to make it possible that the transfer of a mere civil project can ‘encircle’ India,” the commentary said, adding that observers tend to interpret China’s every move abroad as having a military purpose.

Still, the same Global Times, in a May 2011 editorial referring to Gwadar, said China will at some point need to establish overseas military bases.

Military cooperation between China and other powers “will not only make our world safer, but can also protect trade routes from pirates and terrorists,” it said.

“f China is going to play an important role in the Asia-Pacific region and on the international stage, as urged by the international community, it eventually will need to establish overseas military bases in cooperation with other countries.”

A 2004 internal report for the Pentagon by defense contractor Booz Allen Hamilton coined the term “string of pearls” to describe what it said was a Chinese strategy to set up bases along key sea lanes from the Middle East to southern China, including Gwadar and locations in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, the Washington Times reported the following year.

Testifying on Capitol Hill in 2009, American Enterprise Institute scholar Michael Auslin said the goal of the strategy “is to facilitate China’s constant maritime presence in Asia and link it to a growing network of regional states that benefit from China’s economic and military support.”

One challenge the Chinese will face in Gwadar is facility security. The port is located in Balochistan province, where rebels with longstanding grievances against Islamabad oppose what they see as an attempt by the central government to steal their natural resources.

One of several armed extremist groups in the province killed three Chinese engineers working on the port project in 2004.

If India is concerned about anything we have done in the last 5 years for the first time then I am glad as hell we are promoting our own interests finally. We should have opposed the US-India nuke deal and the US offer to sell them better quality F16's. Our foreign minister is indeed a khara from family of Khar's (donkey in Pashto)... we must not give up on the foreign policy front or we will have nothing left.

Aren't you doing same mistakes of the past. In 50-60s, you provided bases to America, now its the time for China.

you are not alone

We are still there and its been 20 odd years and counting.

you have tried and failed in Balochistan & Sindh

We don't overdose, used the dose which was required and got list of Khalistanis form Benazir Bhutto.

you failed & paid dearly by supporting LTTE against Sri Lanka.

It was SL's call they changed their mind, then we did mistakes but corrected it faster than they could have expected. I hope Pakistan has the same resources to correct its mistakes which now trying to implode her.

not sure what do you mean by not doing "petty things".
Whenever a hostile state decides to invest in disturbance and instigate insurgency in an other country then such decision s taken at the highest level and can involve decades of planning, nothing petty about it.

Interfering in functioning of your ports is a petty job, our games are far more laborious and waiting. Also nor we pledge our men as combatants neither we have luxury of religion to brain wash Balochistan residents. Please don't cut your tickets on India's name.

Americans failed by arming Kurdish militia against Iraq and in the end had to attack it themselves also they have failed so far by supporting Jundullah terrorists against Iran, tens of millions are set aside and maticulous planning is undertaken to bear the fruits in future.

I would take it as a compliment that you think India is comparable to America. Americans are trigger happy nation with numerous resources India is not the same. Heck we could have stopped you becoming a nuclear nation if we could have and burnt P.O.K same way Indian Kashmir has been, which is just stone throw away unlike Balochistan. You yet need to convince Indians and rest of the world that we are doing anything in Balochistan. Till then I am not going to waste my time on it.

sorry,
beg to disagree, our nuclear program was directly in relation and reaction to your country going nuclear earlier. China has had no say in that. I wont press you on that, if it pleases you to show us as the client state of China dictating our national policy then please yourself whenever you feel like it.

I admit I can not prove it but many China watcher believe in it, I will keep an eye on many event which will unfold in future in this regard.

I must admit though, I am lost by what you mean by "our string of pearls theory". do elaborate if you will.

People have been calling Indians out that string of pearls is Indian propaganda, by tagging Pakistan's nuclear posture on Chinese dictation now I can confidently claim that transfer of this Pakistani port is part of the same military cooperation Pakistan and China have sworn in for. I mean Chinese visit your military installations like I visit my local McDonald's, possibility of this deep port accommodating Chinese navy can not be ruled out, thus our theory of sting of pearls is not unsubstantial. And India has to plan accordingly.

you are a sovereign country, you dont need justification to even the rest of the world. trust me countries in Americas or Africas wont even care how much you spend. but if you feel like explaining to uncle Sam then please do, but learn from the same Uncle too, when was a last time Uncle Sam felt the need to explain and justify its space & military spendings?

I had the same thought, but since our geo-political clout has started growing out of self imposed isolation It would be last thing for us to alarm western world unnecessarily.

again same rhetoric about Pakistan's relations with China.
very cute to put it mildly.

Well, I would love to jettisoned my way of thinking, but if it is not military but only trade then Singaporean company wouldn't have been kicked out by making special arrangements. Chinese experience of operating foreign ports is zero before it. Don't blame if India is alarmed and asking uncomfortable questions (boiler plate).

Aren't you doing same mistakes of the past. In 50-60s, you provided bases to America, now its the time for China.

This assumes China is the US and that's just not the case - Indian ports have allowed US naval vessels, including an AC if I'm not mistaken to use Indian ports, why should they object if Pakistan allows whomever it pleases to use their facilities - after all, Indian vessels are welcome in Gwadar as well - and if India join Pakistan to improve relations, why shouldn't din naval vessels also be provided port facilities in Gwadar and elsewhere?

After all, what India want is assurance that their supply lines will be safe, certainly she can give such assurances in return, isn't that so?

Chest thumping is usually a mask for fears - there is nothing to fear, no reason to be afraid - Get your Chinese assurances and be o your way - all will be good.

Charity begins at home, I would like to see you addressing Pakistani Chest thumping on this issue, like Irfan has done a bit.

BTW I was expecting better answer from you.

Charity begins at home, I would like to see you addressing Pakistani Chest thumping on this issue, like Irfan has done a bit.

BTW I was expecting better answer from you.

Charity indeed begins at home, that's why you might consider whether Chest thumping on issues is the way to go -

Very simply, India seek assurances and the expression of "concern" is validation, You on board so far? - Pakistani autonomy of action is now so limited that "autonomy" is an oxymoron - tracking? Therefore Chinese assurances and Indian assurances in return -- That's all my post says - I don't play the Tu Tu main main, sorry.

Charity indeed begins at home, that's why you might consider whether Chest thumping on issues is the way to go -

Very simply, India seek assurances and the expression of "concern" is validation, You on board so far? - Pakistani autonomy of action is now so limited that "autonomy" is an oxymoron - tracking? Therefore Chinese assurances and Indian assurances in return -- That's all my post says - I don't play the Tu Tu main main, sorry.

I think you have misread Indian defence minister, this is not our way. Our concern is our excuse. We would be fool if it is the way you think.

Also I see irony in your post, it defeats our purpose as we would like to deal with a confident Pakistan not someone outsourcing and bypassing assurances to others. It is your port and it servers your military objectives. All China will do is either jump into the confrontation or stay out of it. I hope I have understood your point.

Thanks

Chest thumping is usually a mask for fears - there is nothing to fear, no reason to be afraid - Get your Chinese assurances and be o your way - all will be good.

I doubt if there is such vision yet in the Indian leadership.
seeing a spy behind every tree, just the presence of Chinese Vessels (military or merchant) are causing concerns for the Indians and instead of talking directly Indians might choose the hostile route which might result in militarization of the port by the Chinese.

the only opening Indians have at the moment is the unrest in Baluchistan and the unstable Afghanistan & they might run to uncle Sam who shares the "concerns" on a different level.

I must commend both Pakistan & China though that despite all the above odds Gwadar is open for business.

I think you have misread Indian defence minister, this is not our way. Our concern is our excuse. We would be fool if it is the way you think.

Also I see irony in your post, it defeats our purpose as we would like to deal with a confident Pakistan not someone outsourcing and bypassing assurances to others. It is your port and it servers your military objectives. All China will do is either jump into the confrontation or stay out of it. I hope I have understood your point.

Thanks

Alas, there is what we want and then there is the way things are - - China seek no confrontation, neither do Pakistan, in the case of China, their economic interests are paramount, in the case of Pakistan, it does not have the will to confront a bunch of terrorists, you imagine they have the will to confront an organized India??

Therefore Chinese assurances and Indian assurances in return -- That's all my post says - I don't play the Tu Tu main main, sorry.

you made the effort of put it bluntly, and did it very well I didnt even bother to go there
its laughable to see a comment is made by our friends but when its countered its taken to heart Bollywood lines start coming at increased pace.

the only opening Indians have at the moment is the unrest in Baluchistan and the unstable Afghanistan & they might run to uncle Sam who shares the "concerns" on a different level.

I don't think you have gasp on current affairs.

You are better friend with USA then what India is at present. Things have been changing fast in your favour for last one year. All thanks to end game of Afghanistan

I must commend both Pakistan & China though that despite all the above odds Gwadar is open for business.

Just two years back Chinese were denying to operate it or even admitting if they have been even asked to, the approval has came from USA. Sleep tight.

Before the first brick was placed at the Gwador deep sea port facility in Balochistan, it was already decided by the Pakistan and China that the port will have a naval facility and China will have sharing/Berth right or joint use. Pakistan was keener to start the joint naval base so as China but latter was reluctant because of geopolitical alteration in the region. Suffice to say that China, as always been a quite player in the international geopolitics, waited to condone the pronouncement until the whole world was mentally prepared for the news.

Before the first brick was placed at the Gwador deep sea port facility in Balochistan, it was already decided by the Pakistan and China that the port will have a naval facility and China will have sharing/Berth right or joint use. Pakistan was keener to start the joint naval base so as China but latter was reluctant because of geopolitical alteration in the region. Suffice to say that China, as always been a quite player in the international geopolitics, waited to condone the pronouncement until the whole world was mentally prepared for the news.

hmm hence the open concern from India and none other than the defence minister.
but I wont place my bets until I see the Chinese Naval Vessels along with Permanent Naval structures and personnel deployed there. 80-20 I say the odds are that it will remain purely a commercial operation.

Friends:

Do some research and you will realize that China had nothing to do with the idea of Gwadar and you will see what the original purpose was (Access to CA, TAP) -- Today, the idea of India vs China animates many of our friends of Indian origin in the West, but I don't think many in India have an appetite for such a useless exercise - Gwadar first and foremost has importance, not for military purpose, but economics -- India can be a part of the same calculus

Back
Top Bottom