What's new

India Chooses U.S.-Built Javelin Anti-Tank Missile

You are right. What I meant from Fire and Forget with TOW II RF is that now its employment does not require the operator to stay in a static firing position to maintain line of sight until impact, which admittedly is not true fire and forget.

TOW-2A is indeed a 2nd gen ATGM, however the ones in service now with the PA and other armies are TOW 2B and RF ATGMs which are top-attack systems and a niche market play because there really isn't a HAT system in the same class as these. As such comparing the Javelin to TOW is a little misleading because of the difference in the range and weight of warhead which is bigger in the TOW.

For a man portable system, PA is still using RPG-7s which, when they hit are fine, when not then you duck and reload. :-)

PA does need a better man portable ATGM system but then the cost of an RPG round or 10 is cheaper than one Javelin (albeit the latter has more accuracy and bigger warhead).

I doubt the RPGs can do any damage to the modern tank armours

I doubt the RPGs can do any damage to the modern tank armours

Depends on various factors such as where the impact is etc. Not a perfect weapon against up-armoured tanks, but pretty good for most APCs and medium/Light tanks. Plus its cheap and rugged. Each RPG firer carries 3-4 rounds which gives him quite a bit of unguided firepower which can be exploited at close ranges. Not the best solution around, but one that has its uses.

Last edited:
i don't like countries, if they buy stuff rather than building by themselves. whether it's india or china or pakistan or even BD.

By Vivek Raghuvanshi
Published: 28 Jul 2010 11:40

NEW DELHI - The Indian Army has decided to buy the Javelin anti-tank guided missile (ATGM), Defence Ministry sources here said.

The decision comes within a month of media reports that Pakistan had included the Javelin on its wish list of U.S. weapons it wants to purchase. Senior Indian Defence Ministry officials had favored buying Israeli-made Spike ATGMs until those reports.

India's Javelin-purchase decision is final, ministry sources said. The missile's sale to India was approved in the U.S. last week, but the amount and cost are not yet known.

The fire-and-forget Javelin weapon system is produced by a joint venture of U.S. companies Raytheon and Lockheed Martin. The anti-armor weapon also has a direct-attack mode for use against buildings or fortifications.

The Indian Army began considering acquiring the Javelin after it rejected the Spike during trials in 2008.

The Army's tests of the Javelin in land exercises last year were satisfactory, a service official said.

The Javelin purchase would be in addition to the Indian Nag ATGM, which already has been ordered. The Army's current ATGM arsenal includes old Milan and Konkours missiles.

India Chooses U.S.-Built Javelin Anti-Tank Missile - Defense News

Agreed but their working concept and operational capabilities are also different. TOW-2A is a second generation ATGM while Javelin is a third generation missile.

And the range I think is 3.8 km not 5 km.

TOW 2B RF is 4.5-5km.

what happend to you..:drumroll: NAG anti tank missle?? all the noise and hoopla for indigenious??? Or wait..is USA taking the indian for a ride once again..Hey buy my ammo first then I'll listen ya rap about ISI??

or perhaps it is to buy "influence" in congress??

Next time Manmohan and Obama meet

MMS: We gotta tackle this ISI genie?
Obama: What do you want me to do?
MMS: put it back in the bottle
Obama: but for that I need more exports to India
MMS: we already ordered the Javelin missles
Obama: but thats not for long
MMS: we shelved our indigenious NAG ATGM!
Obama: how about some jet, choppers, tanks, missles, tankers and some APC?
MMS: but thats awful lot, we are a poor nation.
Obama: but we need trade! We already sold F16 to Pakistan and they are willing for more. How about some patriot?
MMS: oh this isnt going anywhere
Obama: neither outsourcing! :) payback time buddy! All ya dolla's belongs to US of A!

You know sometime back somebody or it might be you posted a similar joke (conversation like) about Headley and CIA interrogation on ISI that was funny man. If it is you can u repost it. This is funny too :rofl::rofl:

By Vivek Raghuvanshi
Published: 28 Jul 2010 11:40

NEW DELHI - The Indian Army has decided to buy the Javelin anti-tank guided missile (ATGM), Defence Ministry sources here said.

The decision comes within a month of media reports that Pakistan had included the Javelin on its wish list of U.S. weapons it wants to purchase. Senior Indian Defence Ministry officials had favored buying Israeli-made Spike ATGMs until those reports.

India's Javelin-purchase decision is final, ministry sources said. The missile's sale to India was approved in the U.S. last week, but the amount and cost are not yet known.

The fire-and-forget Javelin weapon system is produced by a joint venture of U.S. companies Raytheon and Lockheed Martin. The anti-armor weapon also has a direct-attack mode for use against buildings or fortifications.

The Indian Army began considering acquiring the Javelin after it rejected the Spike during trials in 2008.

The Army's tests of the Javelin in land exercises last year were satisfactory, a service official said.

The Javelin purchase would be in addition to the Indian Nag ATGM, which already has been ordered. The Army's current ATGM arsenal includes old Milan and Konkours missiles.

India Chooses U.S.-Built Javelin Anti-Tank Missile - Defense News

this cleary means that the Nag ATGW is 'under-performing'.

Indian gov is getting this right by choose Javelin. its a great missile. Hopefully, India is smart enough to follow through on this one.

As for Pakistan, its a major non-nato US allie. US would sell Javelin to Pakistan.

if india gets this one pakistan wont because all indian purchase agreement has a clause that this system will not be sold to pak in future
and obviously any seller will prefer big potential byer

Another indigenous program killed by our babus favouring foreign 'maal'. The MANPAD Nags are history now. Wonder who took the bribe this time and how much.

Sorry dear im not agree with you in this. IA only purchase few handed of those missile(coze of it cost) not thousand but if you look at the record of IA they need around 20000-30000 ATGM (since 80's India produce Milan around 30000 thousand missile and additional order of 4000 more also India purchase from russia Konkurs-M around 15000 missile). Did you think Nag MANPAD is history sorry?????

sigh sigh ....how come !!!!

purchase of javelins doesnt mean nag is under performing .........!!!

javelins are man portable whereas nag isint ....... nag is fired from namaica so they are alittle diff !!!!

at least a senior member should not put such silly comments......

don't know why but most of time my pakistani friends are trying to prove that Indian equipment is always an under performer

Hi,
There is a difference between Nag (a carrier based ATGM) and Javelin (Shoulder fired ATGM)

Both are independent and mutually exclusive platforms.

Another indigenous program killed by our babus favouring foreign 'maal'. The MANPAD Nags are history now. Wonder who took the bribe this time and how much.

MANPAD nag will take alot of time to come..till then u want us to stay without smthng potent??my dear frnd javlin is the right choice i can smell burning ak's lol:smitten::cheers::smokin:

Last edited:

If "Stop-gap" is not implied in sources and The need is described huge, That's mean The domestic program is a history.

The human portable Nag version may be in danger given the competition with Jav...
:cheers:
Ramu -

Javelin will be a stop gap check until the MMW radar comes with Nag.
Once this radar is in place I guess Nag will be unbeatable in its class. This will not end the MAN version of Nag at all.

Back
Top Bottom