What's new

In need of an Attack Helicopter

Iran have reverse engineered AH1J cobras which they call Panha 2019

Why not aquire these and upgrade them with kits form the US to have commonality with our own ?

The question with acquiring weapons from Iran is political: will Iran sell Pakistan weapons, and, given Pakistan's current pro-American stance, will a purchase from Iran strain Pak-US relations?

If we can sell them weapons why can't we buy from them instead?

Also in the CNN first Gulf war guide I have read that America supplied Hawk missiles to Iran during the Iran/Iraq conflict via Israel of all countries.

That little infamous part of US history is known as the Iran-Contra Affair--it was a major scandal, if you will, for the Regan administration. Okay, if we can sell them weapons, we can buy from them, but the question is, will Iran supply them. Also, even if Iran somehow supplies the helos, then there is no guarantee that Pakistan can acquire the modification kits from the US. :yahoo:

In my opnion if we are going to buy an attack helicopter we should do it as a package deal with a transport/utility helicopter which has commonality of components as well.

here are some examples:

1) AH1Z and UH1Y from US
2) Rooivalk and Oryx from South Africa
3) Mi28 or Mi35 and Mi17 from Russia
4) AH64D and Blackhawk from US
5) WAH64 and Merlin from UK

JK, which of these systems are readily available and integrable into the existing structure?

JK, which of these systems are readily available and integrable into the existing structure?

Thats easy ..........the AH-1 And UH-1 option they operate both helo's already

Having said that though the Rooivalk and Oryx are both based upon the SA330 which Pak also operates......And the SA systems would suit a lot of the operating areas of Pak as they are designed for similar terrain.

Right, thanks! The transport helos look like light- to medium-lift birds. Would heavy lift helos be viable or would they just cost too much?

Right, thanks! The transport helos look like light- to medium-lift birds. Would heavy lift helos be viable or would they just cost too much?

Well I think they will be quite expensive.
I think that in the interim that mi-17's or more SA330's (or updated equivalents) will be of use. In the future heavy lift capability would be of use due to the terrain in large parts of Pak.

Well I think they will be quite expensive.
I think that in the interim that mi-17's or more SA330's (or updated equivalents) will be of use. In the future heavy lift capability would be of use due to the terrain in large parts of Pak.

In my British armed forces pocket guide the last aquisition of chinook helicopters was running in something like £259 million for 8 though these are essentially downgraded MH 47G variants.

Other considerations could be either CH53E super stallions or the russian Mi26T which is being marketed in china according to www.sinodefence.com

In my British armed forces pocket guide the last aquisition of chinook helicopters was running in something like £259 million for 8 though these are essentially downgraded MH 47G variants.

Other considerations could be either CH53E super stallions or the russian Mi26T which is being marketed in china according to www.sinodefence.com

dude I remember those Ch-47's......:tdown:

Chinook blunder 'left RAF short'
RAF Chinooks
The Chinooks were meant to be in service in 1998
Eight new helicopters worth £259m are grounded due to a "botched" procurement, a study by the National Audit Office has said.

The Chinook helicopters could be a risk to fly in cloudy weather because the software which enables them to do this cannot be properly tested.

Fixing the problem will cost an estimated £127m and the Chinooks will remain grounded until at least 2007.

The study says the armed forces are a third below battlefield capacity.

The Ministry of Defence admits, on current plans, that the shortfall will not be made good until 2017-2018.

The Chinooks were originally supposed to be in service in 1998 but radar systems and software developed under a separate contract would not fit in the cockpit, the report said.

They are now restricted to flying above 500ft in cloudless skies, with pilots using landmarks on the ground to navigate, and can only be used on limited trial flights.

Chinooks are used for ferrying troops, artillery and supplies to and from the battlefield.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3609713.stm

Super Puma?

It is a licence produced Puma from Romania featuring a 23mm cannon rockets and AT3 Sagger missiles called ICA IAR 330 L SOCAT.

Its a bit like an Mi24 Hind except its based around the Puma but its still not quite a dedicated Helicopter Gunship. From the weapons armament it can take care of itself on a battle field.

when I went on a camp with the Air Cadets to RAF Odiham a price of roughly £8 million a helicopter was quoted which I guess is for the standard CH-47D variant.

I have read that Italy produced CH-47 C variants under licence and that some were recently supplied to Morocco. Also prior to the fall of the Shah Irans chinooks came of the Italian production lines.

Germany also produced CH53 helicopters under licence and as our defence links with these two countries are strong could we consider an aquisition from either?

Back
Top Bottom