What's new

In need of an Attack Helicopter

Yeah the only thing I could find on the net was this report from 2004

ISLAMABAD (AFP) — Pakistan sought more helicopters and air surveillance equipment from the United States during two days of bilateral counter-terrorism talks, a senior Pakistani official said.

"We requested more help in the form of air assets, surveillance and communications and received a positive response from the US," the official who participated in the talks, told AFP. He asked not to be named.

The meeting of the Pakistan-US Joint Working Group on Counter Terrorism and Law Enforcement was the third since it was set up in 2002, a year after Islamabad joined the US-led war on terror and helped oust Afghanistan's Taliban rulers.

The official said the talks focussed on ways to bolster Pakistani security forces' capacity to pursue the campaign against Al-Qaeda-linked terrorism and deny sanctuary to Taliban rebels.

I have to say that I would lean toward the Rooivalk helicopter. (Apparently if Turkey buys them it will tip PAK toward it)

It doesn't have some features that are on a more high tech helo however it has a few things to it's advantage.

1. It is low maintenance. Plus it is designed for extended operation in forward areas.

2.It is based on the SA319 "puma" helicopter (Which PAK operates) so parts and expertise will already be in place. Also spares will not be as large a problem.

3.The helo is transportable with a C-130

4.In the event of Hellfires not being available then there is always the Mokopa option.

Hey can someone give some figures on the ACTUAL number of AH-1's in PAK army aviation? I am getting some confusing numbers back from some sources.

My understanding is that there are currently 20 aircraft in the inventory.

Is it more or less?

12 were given to Pakistan Army Aviation in 2004 for spares.

2 batches of 20 Cobras were given under EDA, and then we recieved 12 of them in 2002.

12 were given to Pakistan Army Aviation in 2004 for spares.

2 batches of 20 Cobras were given under EDA, and then we recieved 12 of them in 2002.

So 52? (plus the 12 for spares) All AH-1F's? or earlier models?

Spares could be between 12-15 or even more.

Regarding the model, they all should be the same type. Dont know about other modifications.

I remember reading in the 2004 'Military Balance' published by ISS of London that PA had a total of 20 AH-1j Cobra and one Mil-24 Hind attack helicopters. Does it mean that now we have of 40 AH-1Cobras including all the deliveries.??

1 mi-24, i am not so sure of that, but i have hear about mi-17 i think troop carrier

There is a picture of it somewhere on here......I can't find the thread but bear with me......

Someone who edited the Pakistan army article on wikipedia has edited the equipment section and it mentions that Pakistan is interested in around 30 [B]new[/B] attack helicopters.
Can anyone give more information on this?

Oh also with regard to AH1 numbers wikipedia cites 40-50 in service with another 20 on order.

hmmm that is the thing.....

Every source I have, says that the number is 20.

The Wikipedia article is a bit suspicious. Last time I checked it said 60+

http://www.****************.com/PakArmy/ArmyAviationInventory.html

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/pakistan/aviation-corps.htm

Plus heres a book source for you.

Fighting forces by Richard Bennett (2003 by silverdale publishing)

I think the new aquisitions will probably be a newer helo with greater capability than the current fleet of AH-1's. From the pictures gathered at the IDEAS show (as displayed in the gallery) I think that the South African Rooivalk or the Eurocopter Tiger are in the running. (I favour the Rooivalk for the reasons I have stated above). I think that this will be the best way of stemming the greater numbers of (for example India) of enemy tanks.

Upgraded UH-1. The UH-1Y

Ask anyone to picture a military helicopter, and chances are high they will visualize the Bell Helicopter Textron UH-1. That’s because it is the most successful military helicopter ever produced. It is the epitome of mission effectiveness, reliability and safety. Over 16,000 UH-1s have been produced, and have operated in challenging environments ranging from the rugged mountains of Bosnia, to the frozen vastness of Antarctica. Many of the first UH-1s delivered are still flying today, some airframes having logged over 30,000 hours. Militaries around the world continue to depend on this proven workhorse to execute combat assaults, evacuate wounded soldiers, transport senior staff, or complete any other helicopter mission you can imagine.

Over the past 40 years, the legendary UH-1 has continuously improved. From the unstoppable UH-1D, that changed the face of mobile warfare in Southeast Asia, and the highly versatile UH-1H that founded rotary wing aviation for militaries throughout the world, the UH-1 became the standard bearer around the globe. Now with the innovative four bladed, twin engined UH-1Y, Bell Helicopter Textron continues to redefine safety, ability and strength of character in military rotary wing aircraft.

The aircraft of choice for the U.S. Marine Corps, the UH-1Y was selected over the competing aircraft because of its ability to meet all the Corps’ stringent requirements, and its 70% life cycle cost saving against the competition. The Marines will be procuring 100 UH-1Ys through an ingenious upgrade program to their existing UH-1N fleet. This innovative modernization approach will save the USMC over $1 billion.

The UH-1Y program offers the maximum acquisition flexibility to prospective operators. This sophisticated aircraft can be purchased as a “new production” program, or for current H-1 operators, their existing UH- 1 fleet can be remanufactured to the new UH-1Y configuration.

A familiar silhouette and proven heritage are about the only common features that the new UH-1Y shares with its famed predecessors. Bell Helicopter Textron has applied the latest aerospace technologies, and manufacturing processes to create the new UH-1Y tactical utility helicopter. It has a familiar proud profile, but the capability is altogether new. Dramatically improved survivability, maneuverability and supportability are designed in, using the most modern technologies available.

New four-bladed all-composite, ballistically tolerant main and tail rotor systems are the most noticeable changes that have been made. These airframe improvements, in conjunction with twin General Electric T700 engines, the 21st century “glass” cockpit crew-station, and other advanced systems, deliver substantial increases in tactical capability.

Payload is 125% higher than the UH-1N, allowing the commander to move more troops and materiel, with fewer sorties.
Range and maximum cruise speed have been increased by almost 50% over the UH-1N delivering combat assets to their objective faster.
High G loads can be sustained in tactical or evasive maneuvers.
Significantly reduced vibration provides pilots better responsiveness and agility.
A fully integrated, night vision goggle (NVG) compatible “glass” cockpit, maximizes situational awareness, by easily delivering critical navigation, threat, communications, and aircraft system data to the crew.
An advanced electronic warfare self protection (EWSP) suite, and ballistically hardened components protect it from a broad range of modern threat weapons.
A proven crashworthy fuel system to reduce the risk of fire and fully stroking energy attenuating seats to protect crewmembers and passengers from injury, in the event of a crash.
Designed For Supportability
Both the airframe and engines have been built with the maintainer in mind. The design facilitates field expedient maintenance as well as extended periods of maintenance free operation. Bell and its suppliers, known for their world-class support, are confident that the UH-1Y will continue the tradition of providing industry leading reliability at the lowest through life cost.

The UH-1Y is designed to withstand operation in the harshest, most challenging environments. The aircraft is “wet assembled” and incorporates aluminum transmission cases to prevent corrosion. The UH-1Y also incorporates a unique semi automatic main rotor blade folding capability that enables the aircraft to be easily moved and stored in confined areas.

The Legacy Lives On
The new UH-1Y brings together proven airframe reliability, a revolutionary composite four bladed main and tail rotor, impressive output of General Electric T700 series engines, and a fully integrated avionics and sensor package to provide the operator dramatic improvements in performance with significantly reduced support requirements and costs. As the preeminent tactical utility helicopter for the current and future battlefield, the UH-1Y provides significant improvements over current utility helicopters in multi-mission capability, and is available as a new production helicopter, or as an upgrade program to existing UH-1 fleets.

The Bell legacy continues with the most modern tactical utility helicopter available, the UH-1Y.

Hmm i dunno about that one webby.....A great utility (and possibly some attack variations) but a dedicated attack chopper may be a better bet. They do need some good utility choppers though.

I checked on the DSCA website and found this information about the 40 AH-1F Cobra helos allocated to Pakistan under Excess Defense Articles:

40 helos (all AH-1Fs) were allocated (8/19/2003) and accepted (5/31/2004).

Back
Top Bottom