What's new

ICC Board approves changes to governance, competition and financial models

BTW it is good to see PCB standing on it's principle stand & it should continue to do so. Cricket is doomed anyways after this resolution.

I' am not much interested in Cricket & also i don't have enough knowledge how this all system work so can any Pakistani member tell me if Pakistan & Sri Lanka can form new World cricket governing board where countries like US, China, Canada, UAE, Afghanistan, etc along with Pakistan & Sri Lanka are full members?

Also what if Pakistan & Sri Lanka pull out of Asia Cup now. Let Indians play alone.

That day is also not far....

Stop cracking jokes mate.:omghaha::omghaha::rofl:

Well, now if the power in some South asia dude hands, we will see lots of corruption in coming years.

We must stop playing Cricket.

Why not develop a new World Cricket board with teams like US, China, UAE, Afghanistan along with Pakistan & Sri Lanka?

I understand some new talent is coming from Football. Players like Muahmmed Adil are going International. So why not take this as a positive step and improve the infrastructure and culture.

And yes i agree Pakistan should focus more on Football too. Pakistan can easily get players from South Sind, Makran & Balochistan. They are very much talented in this sport.

mate this news was also joke couple of days back and you know result...lets wait and watch.

This news was not a joke. We all know already that the resolution will be passed.

South Africa screwed Pakistan over. They were the most vocal board from the beginning and then at the last moment probably bargained a good deal for themselves leaving PCB and SLC in the lurch. :lol:

Last edited:
There is no reason why cricket loving countries like Pakistan and Sri Lanka can't be self sufficient and have to rely on ICC dole. This might actually force them to get their shit together and be efficient.

We must stop playing Cricket. Its no more a Gentleman's game. There are hundreds of other sports out there and we lag behind in all of them. I understand some new talent is coming from Football. Players like Muahmmed Adil are going International. So why not take this as a positive step and improve the infrastructure and culture.
What self-defeating response is this? How old are you? Because few boards got an upper hand in certain matters means you should stop playing cricket? AR Kardar, Fazal Mahmood, Haneef Muhammed, and other legendary Pakistani cricketers did all the hard work for this day? Do you know these legends played cricket when England and Australia were the Pharaohs of the cricket world? Laws were turned and twisted at their whim to favor English/Australian cricketers? Should we establish other sports, no two opinions on that, yes we should. Should we stop playing cricket, absolutely not.

same will you know at that time also..:coffee:

OK Mr citizen of SUPA PAWA. Your country already become SUPA PAWA in 2012 as claimed by your govt officials & even Former President.:rofl:

Now can you please stop cracking jokes & contribute to the thread?:cool:

OK Mr citizen of SUPA PAWA. Your country already become SUPA PAWA in 2012 as claimed by your govt officials & even Former President.
Now can you please stop cracking jokes & contribute to the thread?
ohh sarcasm.. i like it..when you grow then you have to face it nothing new.....there is same thread created by me...i contributed there...

I think no one other than the members from India will like this move.

Its tough on Pakistan as they see themselves at par with India in everyfield but the hard reality is the world does not think so.Sri Lankans will be smart and realise their folly soon but my worry is for Pakistanis as they will be shy of receiving the olive branch as a fave saver.

They as in all other cases will play victim victim till they tear themselves into shreds.Why they should have a problem with India's position when they are getting more money and support to encourage cricket in their country which should be their priority.

In all areas of governance they will stand to gain immensly by co operating with India then why not swallow false pride and see reason.

You see, there is a way. When we ban Pakistan to play any cricket, then there would be no "Pakistani cricketers" :lol:

ohh thats the reason ... poor endians:lol::lol:

South Africa screwed Pakistan over. They were the most vocal board from the beginning and then at the last moment probably bargained a good deal for themselves leaving PCB and SLC in the lurch. :lol:
The CSA position paper to the ICC, submitted last night makes real fascinating reading. It starts by invoking Nelson Mandela and states,"Our people have the right to hope, the right to a future, the right to life itself. No power on this earth can destroy the thirst for human dignity. Our land cries out for peace. We will only achieve it through adherence to democratic principles and respect for the rights of all." The two key words here are "democratic principles" for in the rest of the paper CSA goes against the very grain of democratic principles.

They have gone on to demand that CSA be given a permanent position in the revamped ICC Executive Board alongside India, England and Australia. This is what the paper states, "CSA believes that the role of EXCO is going to be very important within the ICC and therefore its composition should be increased from the proposed five to six members. Furthermore, CSA strongly believes that, apart from being a Founding Member of the ICC, it is also a major cricket nation and deserves status on the ICC EXCO and F&CA committees during this transitional period."

Firstly by demanding a special position in the ICC Executive they have left the two other boards who were opposing the revamp i.e. Sri Lanka and Pakistan, high and dry. CSA has clearly shown a willingness to compromise but do so on their terms.

This has serious implications. It can also be interpreted as a form of blackmail. CSA now realises that the Big Three desperately needs their support to get the proposals passed. The Big three has 7 votes and are in dire need of the 8th. Unless they have the elusive last vote the revamp doesnt go through. In such a situation they will be forced to give in to the demands of CSA and agree to what all they have asked for.

Further, the South African Board has stated, "We are still distressed by the lack of an ICC major Event being hosted in South Africa during the next ICC cycle (2016-2023). As a proud and vibrant cricket nation that had suffered enough due to Apartheid, we believe that it is patently unacceptable and unjustifiable for there to be no major ICC global Event allocated to South Africa. Accordingly, we would like to enter into immediate discussion with a view to securing a future ICC Event in South Africa during the next cycle and the ICC CWC 2027. There is no doubting the suitability of South Africa as a location to host major events."

Again, it is about South Africa and the interests of South Africa and hardly about world cricket. It is about 'me' and not 'us'. Never was. It is a selfish position paper and can never adhere to the democratic principles they claim they stand for. What about world cups for Pakistan, Sri Lanka, the West Indies and others? Is that not what democracy is all about?

Finally, I am seriously worried about India. In the short term the BCCI might well have to go with CSA to get the proposals approved. But in doing so and agreeing to a 6 member Executive Board it might cause India serious harm in the long run. How about a scenario where England, Australia and South Africa get together against India and outvote India in the ICC? Any person with little knowledge of ICC affairs will agree that such a scenario is very likely to occur in the not too distant future.

The position paper submitted by CSA ends with saying, "To put it mildly, the original Proposal was extremely disappointing and indeed hurtful when originating from three great cricketing nations, and three great democracies from which South Africa (and our Past President Nelson Mandela) learnt many wonderful lessons. The groundswell and global rejection of the proposals that followed cannot be ignored and we as the current guardians of the game will be judged by history."

Noble words indeed but CSA themselves have violated every bit of what they claim they were determined to avoid. They have left Pakistan and Sri Lanka alone and have also indicated to the Big three that they are willing to support only if all (all and not one or few) of their demands are met.

To be honest South Africa might soon find themselves isolated within the ICC with no other member willing to trust them.

Historian, writer, commentator, journalist. Boria Majumdar wears many hats. Here's his website. And he tweets here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom