What's new

I Dislike Generals more than all our enemies combined

What is the basis of these figures? Are these based upon some kind of census? Or some selective statistical studies? Or some organizational data?

This figure 4-5%, 5 to 6 crores (50-60 million) is quoted in most search results.

The closest I got to a source is a paper "The Joshua Project"

https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/rel100hinduism/2015/11/25/the-caste-system-brahmin-and-kshatriya/#:~:text=That's approximately 4.3 percent of,into sub-castes called gotras.

@M. Sarmad

Total Population: 5.6 crore (4.3%)
Poor Brahmins: 13%
Rich: 19%
Literacy levels above the age of 18: 84%
Graduates: 39%
Brahmin chief justices between 1950 to 2000: 47%
Associate justices between 1950-2000: 40%

https://www.outlookindia.com/magazine/story/brahmins-in-india/234783

@M. Sarmad

@SIPRA

Well, as per the 1931 census, the last ethnicity/caste based census in British India, there were 16.5 million (1.65 crore) Brahmins in India and they constituted almost 8% of the Hindu population.

Today there are more than 1 billion Hindus in India and Brahmins should be around 90-100 million in numbers.

The quoted article is grossly underreporting the Brahmin population, most probably for propaganda purposes

Well, as per the 1931 census, the last ethnicity/caste based census in British India, there were 16.5 million (1.65 crore) Brahmins in India and they constituted almost 8% of the Hindu population.

Today there are more than 1 billion Hindus in India and Brahmins should be around 90-100 million in numbers.

The quoted article is grossly underreporting the Brahmin population, most probably for propaganda purposes

About 50-60 million (5-6 crores) now. Their birth rate due to their education is also much lower. Forgot to tag you above. Done now.

About 50-60 million. Their birth rate due to their education is also much lower. Forgot to tag you above.

Any authentic source to back this up or mere speculation?

You are saying that Brahmins' birth rate is extremely low compared to other Hindus (we aren't counting Muslims here). Not likely

Any authentic source to back this up or mere speculation?

You are saying that Brahmins' birth rate is extremely low compared to other Hindus (we aren't counting Muslims here). Not likely

Why is it not likely. When different states of India have widely different birth rates in Hindu majority India, it stands to reason that there will also be caste based differences within Hindus.

This is what's happening.

The world powers like to deal with a familiar face.

Familiar = sharifs and zardaris

generals have recognised this and instead of taking power like they used to, have allied with these families for money and maintaining influence. They maintain the status quo and the world powers get a familiar face.

The middle and upper class of Pakistan get absolutely wrecked in the process. Triggers an annual brain drain. World powers do not care, they are getting influx of talent. Also notice how they don't care even if Pakistanis have democracy or not, they just want that familiar face.

They will keep you on the bring of collapse and enable these corrupt families.

Why is it not likely. When different states of India have widely different birth rates in Hindu majority India, it stands to reason that there will also be caste based differences within Hindus.

So you admit that your position is based on speculations and assumptions instead of data/figures.

Anyways here is a source disproving your point and confirming that Brahmins at 7.3% are still the largest ethnic group among Hindus

So you admit that your position is based on speculations and assumptions instead of data/figures.

Anyways here is a source disproving your point and confirming that Brahmins at 7.3% are still the largest ethnic group among Hindus

Your paper is from 2001. Mine is from 2015. A declining sub group with a low birth rate will change significantly in one and a half decades.

Either way 7% is a lot closer to my 4-5% compared to the 10-15% loose number your initial claim put the population at.

Your paper is from 2001. Mine is from 2015. A declining sub group with a low birth rate will change significantly in one and a half decades.

So, you are saying that the Brahmin growth/birth rate remained almost the same for 70 years (from 1931 up to 2001) but suddenly dropped by more than 50% in the next 15 years? .. How much sense does that make now?

So, you are saying that the Brahmin growth rate remained almost the same from 1931 upto 2001 but dropped by more than 50% in the next 15 years? .. How much sense does that make now?

The 1931 census number was not Brahmins only.

1st source says there is no shortage of houses but of quality of housing. Might be a valid point of view. Goes on to suggest essentially commie blocks.
2nd study says there is a shortage of housing that will grow by 10 million in 30 years. So actually supports the 10 million houses needed.

Regardless, if you look at other countries that have undergone rural to urban transition, real estate is a engine of growth (like say Turkey). The ideal is to source everything internally. This is actually productive for the economy.
Brent's price is hovering around $76/barrel right now. Why were subsidies being given when the world over prices were being jacked up to limit fiscal exposure in the face of rising energy costs?
Because the idea was to protect people I.e. consumers from volatility of oil prices when they would be sourcing Russian oil at a price that the “subsidized” price would be rational. Sorry I checked today and 55 is for urals only. Current price is 70$ your right. Anyways, the deal that was being negotiated in March was for Russian oil at 70 $/ barrel. What govt was selling oil for to domestic users.
Why was this being done in contravention of commitments to the primary lender, the lender of last resort (IMF) when the country's reserves were low and life support was needed?
It wasn’t. Tareen was giving subsidies from budget that was allocated with permission of IMF.
Why was consumption being promoted when the dollar supply was limited and the reserves were eroding? What is the result of this policy? A strong comeback of the current account deficit? What does that result in? Devaluation of PKR as the hard currency buffers erode?
Nope. Keeping input costs steady (removing high frequency volatility can be argued to be a good thing. We may disagree with it but economists do argue for the validity of this policy. By definition, keeping input costs low increases consumption- but no one has ever said that low oil prices are bad because consumption is higher.
Current account was never the problem. It was half a billion a month when PTI left in February. It is still half a billion. It would be positive if the remittances hadn’t tanked.
It was pure and simple calculus where political self-interest trumped the national interest and interest of 220 million Pakistanis whose savings have been wiped by the ultimate devaluation of PKR driven by the stunt of the PTI regime in its last days.
Nope, PKR devaluation driven by PMLN policies post regime change. Not by PTI policies.
Incorrect, he sent Shabbar Zaidi (head of FBR) home who was trying to rope in the real estate sector into the tax net. Instead, amnesty was given to whiten black money by investing in the real estate sector instead of export-based manufacturing.
Yet exports and services (IT) boomed. So did remittances. Like I said, PTIs track record at imposing real estate taxes is modest but not negligible.
You do not go to the root cause of low productivity.
I do - low productivity is because of low capital investment because of low food prices set by govt (below international market prices). Letting farmers make profit gives them opportunity to invest back in their farms increasing productivity. Also setting water prices which I discussed will allow them to use better techniques.
Farmer is abandoning farming and selling arable land for the development of commercial establishments. Look at what's happening in the GT road belt. Erecting a grey structure and then renting it out to traders and vendors are commercially more feasible for many in rural Punjab today than growing crops to feed themselves and the masses.
Yes but like I said, this is normal to an extent. Lack of arable land is not a constraint right now. We have 25% productivity. We lose 50% of produce before it hits the market. Those things are issues. Invest in cold storage. That alone will solve this problem.
Real estate is sapping the productivity of your economy. It is impoverishing you. What you say in this particular respect is also true, but so is this.
Agree and disagree. The current fashion how the only safe investment is real estate is the problem. That the projects are not rationalized anymore either too. If real estate would be rationalized, it can be a growth engine.

The 1931 census number was not Brahmins only.

Those numbers were for Brahmins only and the census even made a distinction between 'cultivator' Brahmins and non cultivators. Also, the paper I shared mentions 2.2 percent "high caste" Hindus besides 7.3 percent Brahmins.

So, no matter how hard you try, it's impossible to prove that the largest ethnic group among Hindus is "one of the smallest minorities" (your original claim)

Back
Top Bottom