What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
breaking news, india started 4.5 generation fighter R&D 30 years ago, well ahead of the US and Russia.

LCA is 2.5 generation at best. It is more like our L-15.

Hongdu L-15 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LCA is worse than L-15 from all spec.

Can you back up your claim? How is the L-15 better than the LCA? and what exactly makes the LCA a 2.5 and not a 4th gen fighter?

You've been banned at least twice, yet you shamelessly comeback to spew your ignorant BS. Why don't you spend some time actually learning something for once. Wouldn't that be worth more than the few yuan you make for posting bullshit?

One of my old posts.

If i may , i would like to take some liberty by quoting Wikipedia.
On the generations of Planes. I only intend to present my side of the argument, Your free to make your own choice.

First generation jet fighters

The early aircraft of this group entered production during the closing years of World War II with planform similar to their piston counterparts. Later transonic aircraft, such as the MiG-15, are sometimes referred to as a "second generation" and the end of this generation is very loose.

Second generation jet fighters

The beginning of this generation is blurry, but aircraft that were designed for missile armament and supersonic speed are generally considered to be at least second generation.

India's unsatisfactory "HAL HF-24 Marut" falls into this category.

Third generation jet fighters

Third generation aircraft were based on the wrong assumption that air to air missiles would replace dogfighting, and many were initially built without internal gun armament.

Fourth generation jet fighters

Fourth generation fighters had a renewed focus on maneuverability and many were again designed with an internal gun armament.

Now i hope we can agree that the Tejas is in 4th gen category at least.

4.5th generation jet fighters

This "half generation" is a term defined by the United States Government as fourth generation aircraft that have vastly improved avionics (digital fly-by-wire), sensors (Active Electronically Scanned Array radars), high speed data links and the ability to carry the latest weapons. Some sources refer to some members of this group as fourth or 4++ generation aircraft instead.

Now being a 4++ aircraft to put it simply, largely depends on the gadgets within the plane.

So the US classifies a plane 4.5 gen if it has:

(1): Digital fly-by-wire

Since the Tejas is a "relaxed static stability" design, it is equipped with a quadruplex digital fly-by-wire flight control system to ease handling by the pilot.

(2):Electronically Scanned Array radars

Due to delay in development of MMR, government have come out with the collaboration with IAI for development of Radar the sensor for the new radar is supposed to be EL/M-2052 AESA from Elta and the remaining item and software will be combination of MMR and IAI developed products. Varadarajan, (Director — LRDE) has said that LRDE has initiated development of active electronically scanning array radar for airborne applications. And that these radars will be integrated with Tejas light combat aircraft-Mark II by 2012-13.

(3):High speed data links

India's Light Combat Aircraft tests its teeth

Each aircraft, from the time it started up, was being monitored in detail, the data transmitting live from the aircraft over a high-speed data link

Now i know for a fact that the IAF would reject any plane that did not have this feature. But just to make sure, i can back it up. I went and found an article that made specific reference to high speed data links.

(4):The ability to carry the latest weapons

Originally intended to serve as an air superiority aircraft with a secondary "dumb bomb" ground-attack role, the flexibility of this design approach has permitted a variety of guided air-to-surface and anti-shipping weapons to be integrated for more well-rounded multirole and multimission capabilities.

All weapons are carried on one or more of seven hardpoints with total capacity of greater than 4,000 kg: three stations under each wing and one on the under-fuselage centreline. There is also an eighth, offset station beneath the port-side intake trunk which can carry a variety of pods (FLIR, IRST, laser rangefinder/designator, or reconnaissance), as can the centreline under-fuselage station and inboard pairs of wing stations.

(Additional 4++ features)

(5):Trust vectoring and super cruise

In September 2008, it was announced that the Kaveri would not be ready in time for the Tejas, and that an in-production powerplant would have to be selected The ADA plans to issue a request for proposal (RFP) for a more powerful engine in the 95 to 100 kilonewton (kN) (21,000–23,000 lbf) range. The contenders are likely to be the Eurojet EJ200 and the General Electric F414. The Eurojet EJ200 propulsion offer has thrust-vectoring.

This would be the case if the Euro-fighter is chosen for the MMRCA contract.

If However the Dassault Rafale is chosen

ADA awarded a contract to SNECMA for technical assistance in working out the Kaveri's problems.

Dassault has also offered to fit the Kaveri engine into the Rafale, which, if chosen, which would greatly improve commonality with the Tejas aircraft that will enter service into the IAF by 2010. India and France have recently agreed to "go beyond a buyer-seller relationship".[

Look below dez's post for continuation-------

when actually LCA gonna be introduced..and which aircrafts its gonna replace..tell me something about it..totally ignorant about this project
:hitwall:

If Dassault and SCHEMA can work with GTRE to help finish the Kaveri

Scientific Advisor to Defence Minister M Natarajan said nearly 90 to 93 per cent of the expected performance had been realised and the government had recently floated an expression of interest to seek partners to move the programme further(that partner would be SCHEMA)

Then the Project goals of the KAveri can finally be achieved.

The Kaveri is a low-bypass-ratio (BPR) afterburning turbofan engine featuring a six-stage core high-pressure (HP) compressor with variable inlet guide vanes (IGVs), a three-stage low-pressure (LP) compressor with transonic blading, an annular combustion chamber, and cooled single-stage HP and LP turbines. The development model is fitted with an advanced convergent-divergent ("con-di") variable nozzle, but the GTRE wants to fit production Tejas aircraft with an axisymmetric, multi-axis thrust-vectoring nozzle to further enhance the LCA's agility

The general arrangement of the Kaveri is very similar to other contemporary combat engines, such as the Eurojet EJ200, General Electric F414, and Snecma M88. At present, the peak turbine inlet temperature is designed to be a little lower than its peers, but this is to enable the engine to be flat-rated to very high ambient temperatures. Consequently, the bypass ratio that can presently be supported, even with a modest fan pressure ratio, is only about 0.16:1, which means the engine is a "'leaky' turbojet" like the F404.

The Kaveri engine has been specifically designed for the demanding Indian operating environment, which ranges from hot desert to the highest mountain range in the world. The GTRE's design envisions achieving a fan pressure ratio of 4:1 and an overall pressure ratio of 27:1, which will permit the Tejas to "supercruise" (cruise supersonically without the use of the afterburner). The Kaveri is a variable-cycle, flat-rated engine and has 13% higher thrust than the General Electric F404-GE-F2J3 engines equipping the LCA prototypes.

These features are just the cherry on late but good cake.
To all those critics of the Kaveri, India can just choose the typhoon and get the EJ2000, Which will give the Tejas both super cruise and trust vectoring, with out a shadow of a doubt.

Your understanding of military aviation is zero. Go get a better understanding and then come back.

It is not like that webbie JF 17 is still evolving like LCA . You people have got only the airframe and engines not more than that. You are not still decided on Radar and missiles. :azn:

when actually LCA gonna be introduced..and which aircrafts its gonna replace..tell me something about it..totally ignorant about this project
:hitwall:

Dez it will be inducted by 2012 and Its mainly replacing our aging MIG-21's ..currently testing is going on..now we see a substantial increase in flight hours of LCA..I think they are trying to make it operational ASAP

Last edited:
It is not like that webbie JF 17 is still evolving like LCA . You people have got only the airframe and engines not more than that. You are not still decided on Radar and missiles. :azn:

Oh man, Pakistan and Chinees Engineers , Scientists still dont know that they have only developed airframe and there is no Radar in the world Called KLJ-7,8 or 10 nither Pakistan never developed H-2, H-4 optical guided bombs. China never made PL-12/SD-20 for JF-17.

Pakistan never made RAAD ALCM missel that can ever be fired from JF-17 airframe.

Only this Indian guy knows JF is an airfame. The world is fool thats y they r intresed to buy JF like Azarbaijan, Egypt, Zimbabve etc.

Dez it will be inducted by 2012 and Its mainly replacing our aging MIG-21's ..currently testing is going on..now we see a substantial increase in flight hours of LCA..I think they are trying to make it operations ASAP

true the flight hours have increased significantly.. I've seen it zooming past here in Bangalore quite often :cheers:

Nod to Rs 8,000cr for production of Tejas

B.R. Srikanth

Bengaluru

Dec. 15: In a major leg-up for one of the country’s most crucial indigenous defence initiatives, the Centre has sanctioned a massive Rs 8,000 crores to begin production of the fighter jet Tejas for the IAF and Indian Navy.

The lion’s share of this outlay, Rs 5,000 crores, will be for the manufacture of the jets for the IAF, while the rest will be for the development of a variant for the Navy, P.S. Subramanyam, director of the Aeronautical Development Agency which coordinates the Light Combat Aircraft programme, told this newspaper. "This is very good encouragement for a homegrown programme, but the challenge ahead is that we must deliver the jets on time. The first of these fighters will join the IAF’s fleet early 2011. The Air Force has ordered one squadron (20 fighters), and is in the process of ordering another squadron," he said.

Official sources said the IAF has committed to the purchase of 140 more jets, for seven squadrons, with more powerful engines. Next year, the LCA programme will cross another milestone with the maiden flight of the naval version.

This variant will be designed to operate from aircraft carriers INS Vikramaditya and the Air Defence Ship.

http://203.197.197.71/presentation/...od-to-rs-8,000cr-for-production-of-tejas.aspx

this link is not opening for me may be for others

LCA-Tejas has completed 1266 Test Flights successfully. (12-Dec-09).

* LCA has completed 1266 Test Flights successfully
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-236,PV2-129,PV3-189,LSP1-54,LSP2-119,PV5-1).
* 236th flight of Tejas PV1 occurred on 11th Dec 09.
* 119th flight of Tejas LSP2 occurred on 11th Dec 09.
(12-Dec-09)Tejas-LCA

LCA-Tejas has completed 1266 Test Flights successfully. (12-Dec-09).

* LCA has completed 1266 Test Flights successfully
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-236,PV2-129,PV3-189,LSP1-54,LSP2-119,PV5-1).
* 236th flight of Tejas PV1 occurred on 11th Dec 09.
* 119th flight of Tejas LSP2 occurred on 11th Dec 09.
(12-Dec-09)Tejas-LCA

so? LCA is ready for combat deployment? or LCA is now more tested than ever before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom