What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is out by the time WS engine problem will be figured out.

why use kaveri.......
the EJ proposal for thrust vectoring engines is much better don't you think.. although kaveri means our first indigenous engine i think EJ is a better option.

why use kaveri.......
the EJ proposal for thrust vectoring engines is much better don't you think.. although kaveri means our first indigenous engine i think EJ is a better option.

Buddy Kaveri will help us self reliant in engine technology also..Agree with EJ is a better option..but remember sanctions by US made our LCA project delay for a decade or something..its better we have indigenous engines also

why use kaveri.......

I will take mid-way, while it is ok to use another engine if kaveri is not ready, we should continue to develop our own.

why use kaveri.......

WS is Chinese engine and is having technical issues just like we are having technical issues with Kaveri. I am just making fun of this stupid Chinese guy. I ignored him for a long time but he kept on writing stupid stuff but unfortunately if we happen to write back the way he does, we might get banned.

I think the forum rules only applies to Indians and Pakistanis. Chinese and Bangladeshi can keep on using abusing words against others and it is more or less ignored. It is ok for a one-off events by a member but if that is the only way they respond, some action should be taken.

Is it Indian government want to close this lca project as if Kaveri development start with Snecma the development time atleast 3-4 yr and integration time around 2-3 yr so it mean total time is around 8 yr (so lca mk-II come at time of 2017-2018)for mk-II but IAF need this plane urgently for there old replacement of Mig-21 or they r hoping that they replace with bison in 2020.

After a series of apprehensions, the indigenously designed ‘Kaveri’ engine, which was meant to power the homegrown ‘Tejas’ Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), is back again in the spotlight as the main contender for the LCA.

India had recently deemed the ‘Kaveri’ engine unfit after its on-going flight tests and was on the verge of finalizing either the Eurojet EJ-200 or the General Electric F-414 engines for the ‘Tejas’ LCA. However, India has made a turnaround in its decision and intends to go in for a powerful version of the ‘Kaveri’ engine to be co-designed by the French firm Snecma.

The cause for this change of plans is due to the skepticism that India has in acquiring the Eurojet or General Electric engines. India feels that Eurojet and General Electric would not be providing India with critical engine technologies despite the mandatory Transfer of Technology (ToT) in the purchase contract. The tender stipulates that 50 per cent of the technology must be transferred to India. However, there are chances that the international firm may not give the critical high-end technology that would be important for India.

Defence Ministry sources indicated that India will now co-develop an engine in India rather than manufacturing one under licence. The state-owned Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO)’s Gas Turbine and Research Establishment (GTRE), which has a design partnership with French engine-maker, Snecma, has been asked to design a more powerful successor for the ‘Kaveri’ engine.

Minister of State for Defence, Dr Pallam Raju said that the ‘Kaveri’ engine has been underestimated in terms of the benefit it will bring to India. Since large scale research and development has already been invested in the ‘Kaveri’ engine, it will be a waste of time and money to put this in the back-burner. He added that the French firm ‘Snecma’ are willing to go beyond just transfer of technology and since it is a value-added offer, it will give India better technology than what India would get from ToT from Eurojet or General Electric.

Defence Ministry officials feel that India will need to take a crucial decision soon since the ‘Kaveri’ engine has already run into lot of delays and cost-overruns. GTRE is positive that the Snecma-GTRE venture will be fully capable of producing an engine as good as the F-414 and the EJ-200. It will involve improving from the current ‘Kaveri’ engine’s maximum thrust of 65 Kilo Newtons (KN) to the 95 KN that the EJ-200 and F-414 currently have.
India To Revive Kaveri Engine Project | India Defence Online

LCA-Tejas has completed 1267 Test Flights successfully. (12-Dec-09).

* LCA has completed 1267 Test Flights successfully
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-236,PV2-129,PV3-190,LSP1-54,LSP2-119,PV5-1).
* 236th flight of Tejas PV1 occurred on 11th Dec 09.
* 119th flight of Tejas LSP2 occurred on 11th Dec 09.
* 190th flight of Tejas PV3 occurred on 11th Dec 09.

(12-Dec-09)Tejas-LCA

Is it Indian government want to close this lca project as if Kaveri development start with Snecma the development time atleast 3-4 yr and integration time around 2-3 yr so it mean total time is around 8 yr (so lca mk-II come at time of 2017-2018)for mk-II but IAF need this plane urgently for there old replacement of Mig-21 or they r hoping that they replace with bison in 2020.

Thank u for that information Sudhir.
So it does look like what I was thinking was almost what GOI is in distrust with the amount of tech transfer. which is correct. However I will say if they take this dicision not to select a foreign engine for LCA then it would be another blunder to this already delayed program. and moreover when you know you are buying only 80-90 engines, what the worry on tech transfer. You know that you are developing the Kaveri with Snecma and its not a big deal if you dont get a full TOT on those engines. Just make the birds FLY!!! I hope they dont take such a decision (thinking no decision has been taken and this could be just a thought).

Thank u for that information Sudhir.
So it does look like what I was thinking was almost what GOI is in distrust with the amount of tech transfer. which is correct. However I will say if they take this dicision not to select a foreign engine for LCA then it would be another blunder to this already delayed program. and moreover when you know you are buying only 80-90 engines, what the worry on tech transfer. You know that you are developing the Kaveri with Snecma and its not a big deal if you dont get a full TOT on those engines. Just make the birds FLY!!! I hope they dont take such a decision (thinking no decision has been taken and this could be just a thought).

GOI is " DEVELOPING" Our KAVERI yaar..........
That's nothing wrong in it...

As We know that We are Selecting F 18 for MMCA. and so we are going to use GE141 Engine(99) for our LCA Mark-2.

And GOI is just taking stappes towards Self relience for developing Kaveri engine...........

That' s Actually :victory:. dont u think?

GOI is " DEVELOPING" Our KAVERI yaar..........
That's nothing wrong in it...

As We know that We are Selecting F 18 for MMCA. and so we are going to use GE141 Engine(99) for our LCA Mark-2.

And GOI is just taking stappes towards Self relience for developing Kaveri engine...........

That' s Actually :victory:. dont u think?

Hi Yashraj-
The the report published and posted by Sudhir says that they are planning to cancel the tender for EJ-2000 and F-414 engine and trying develp kaveri to induct kaveri on MK2. IMO this is not a great idea and this would hamper our Squadron strength.

To be healthy as an Airforce we need to have 42 squadrons and we are understrength now operating with 39 squadrons.Developing and implimenting Kaveri will take a good 8 yeras and this delay in induction in Tajs MK2 will only deplete our strength. So if they choose to cancel the engine procurement of these two types, IAF which is not that interested in MK1 and wants Tejas MK2 will not be able to induct it for good 10 years. and you know what 10 years mean.

Developing Kaveri is one thing which is best!....but keeping national security and best interests of IAF at the same time is better than best.
These are parallel thinkings and neither can be compromised.

Dude there is some problem in that report, it is not happening for sure, we might continue development with Kaveri but we will not use it for LCA. I think the projects got delinked long back.

Dude there is some problem in that report, it is not happening for sure, we might continue development with Kaveri but we will not use it for LCA. I think the projects got delinked long back.

It's a bad news for Kaveri!
Although our WS10A has met problems, we'll still use them on J11B!

There is some misunderstanding.......

First of all we are going to get 99 GE 414 for the LCA mark-2.
and rest of will be our KAVERI.........

And we are also going to use Kaveri for our MCA. form 2015 onwards.......

Are we clear now?

It's a bad news for Kaveri!
Although our WS10A has met problems, we'll still use them on J11B!

The Projects were De-linked due to Continuing delays in In its development. This meant the LCA could be inducted with foreign engines instead of the Kaveri as originally planned.

The Project to make an Indigenous engine is still very much active, we numerous applications all ready planned and waiting
Applications

Plans are also already under way for derivatives of the Kaveri, including a non-afterburning version for an advanced jet trainer and a high-bypass-ratio turbofan based on the Kaveri core, named as Kabini.

* GTX-35VS Kaveri:
o HAL Tejas (planned for production models)
o HAL Medium Combat Aircraft (conceptual)
o Unmanned Aerial Vehicles

* Derivatives:

o The Indian government plans to adapt and further develop the Kaveri engine design and technology to create a gas-turbine powerplant for armoured fighting vehicles such as the Arjun tank.

o Kaveri Marine Gas Turbine (KMGT), a recently developed derivative of the GTX-35VS Kaveri engine for ships.

There is even a Proposal by SCHEMA and Dassault that

Dassault has also offered to fit the Kaveri engine into the Rafale, which, if chosen, which would greatly improve commonality with the Tejas aircraft that will enter service into the IAF

If a 90KN+ KAveri engine can be made.
The IAF would most likely install it on as Many platforms as possible.

This engine represents a huge leap in Indigenous production capability.
This fact is lost to no one in the MOD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom