What's new

Future of Bangladesh

I agree with all points you mentioned except the one in bold , Dykes though costly is a one time effort which will help preserve vast amount of land , If indeed the base will be washed away the mangrove roots can be uprooted as well , the reason mangroves are holding on is that they are deeply rooted , then build the dykes deep and strong too . build the dykes slow and steady even if it take 10 years to make it , the results will surely help

Well i forgot to mention that without maintenence the dyke will collapse.

The thing about mangrove is that its a living thing that has adapted to coastal region, sediments in the water cant break it. Even if it damages the plant, it can grow back.

Mangroves are deeply rooted, this is the reason why the land wont get eroded away as it is held by the roots. Thus the soil does not get washed away. However a dyke does not hold the soil together. If the soil gets washed away the base will be exposed

guys how far do you see india-bd defence cooperation going in the future??????

I think, concrete dyke is a great thing to achieve protection against a surging water during cyclone. However, it has certain drawbacks:

1) It is expensive to build. Since the soil beneath the dyke is weak due to a low shearing force, therefore, the dyke will have to be built on vertical and inclined piles. A tremendous horizontal force due to the surged water will be working to uplift or incline the wall. Therefore, inclined piles are needed.

2) In my opinion, a 8/10 m high earthen dyke alongwithmangrove plantation is more suitable than a concrete dyke. Earth and mangrove both are eco-friendly. Earthen dykes can be repaired after a heavy cyclone, and a mangrove will take care of itself. Earth dykes will resist sea water from going inland and mangrove will weaken the high wind from damaging the farmland and houses.

3) However, various measures must be taken to protect the slope of a dyke from being eroded.

Military cooperation can start once we settle all the border disputes (including Talpotty and EEZ/Cont. Shelf), the NE militants are down and cooperation increases on the economic front. Hopefully within my lifetime. :)

I think, concrete dyke is a great thing to achieve protection against a surging water during cyclone. However, it has certain drawbacks:

1) It is expensive to build. Since the soil beneath the dyke is weak due to a low shearing force, therefore, the dyke will have to be built on vertical and inclined piles. A tremendous horizontal force due to the surged water will be working to uplift or incline the wall. Therefore, inclined piles are needed.

2) In my opinion, a 8/10 m high earthen dyke alongwithmangrove plantation is more suitable than a concrete dyke. Earth and mangrove both are eco-friendly. Earthen dykes can be repaired after a heavy cyclone, and a mangrove will take care of itself. Earth dykes will resist sea water from going inland and mangrove will weaken the high wind from damaging the farmland and houses.

3) However, various measures must be taken to protect the slope of a dyke from being eroded.

Really like the idea of combining the two approaches. The mangrove can also protect the Earthen dike from erosion!

Very good idea indeed. Earthen dykes and mangrove can work hand in hand to protect our land. Not forgetting both of them minuses off each others disadvantages.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Well we already have quite a few exercises with you guys, not to mention military visits and all.
I think once bangladesh gets its big weapons(new frigates, 4th gen jets) BD-india defence cooperation will increase

Very good idea indeed. Earthen dykes and mangrove can work hand in hand to protect our land. Not forgetting both of them minuses off each others disadvantages.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Well we already have quite a few exercises with you guys, not to mention military visits and all.
I think once bangladesh gets its big weapons(new frigates, 4th gen jets) BD-india defence cooperation will increase

i am really dying to see our navies cooperate together!!!!:yahoo:

Bangladesh needs to have really strong Military because I don't see it's relations with India improving and also the region is going to soon turn into flash point so Bangladesh should have at least 350000 Strong Army and 25000 Air Force and same number Navy and it's Air Force should have 300 above most modern fighter planes and also 4 to 6 Submarines also modern Frigates and also latest 4 Generation Tanks

Bangladesh needs to have really strong Military because I don't see it's relations with India improving and also the region is going to soon turn into flash point so Bangladesh should have at least 350000 Strong Army and 25000 Air Force and same number Navy and it's Air Force should have 300 above most modern fighter planes and also 4 to 6 Submarines also modern Frigates and also latest 4 Generation Tanks

all your efforts to spread hatred amongst indians and bd's won't work any more dude!!!!

Flash point? Yes if India and China engage each other in a limited scale conflict. Won't be good for peace and stability in the region. But it's not in BD's interest to get involved. I only see our relation with India improving once we sort out thorny issues like Talpotty, etc.

all your efforts to spread hatred amongst indians and bd's won't work any more dude!!!!
Sir attack on villagers of Bangladesh shows your love for them Sir India has never been friends to any of its neighbour and India's bullying is increasing by every passing day so Bangladesh should prepare themselves and with such huge population and also great area they need bigger and more advance Armed Forces to defend themselves

Artist's impression of Padma Bridge:

PadmaBridge-Night-View1_main.jpg

woohoo!

what new vessels does bd have in order?????

I guess the following are in the procurement pipeline (last time I checked): locally built OPVs, submarines by 2019 and new corvettes/frigates to replace some of the old ones.

I'm sure bd4ever, mil-avia and asad can keep us updated on this. :D

Back
Top Bottom