What's new

France & Pakistan to revive JF-17 Avionics/EW/Missiles deal as Indian MMRCA stalls.

Considering that the PAF has tested and considers the SD-10A as good as the AIM-120C.. I certainly doubt they need the MICA.

MICA is a short to medium range HOBS missile the likes of which Pakistan does not posses. SD-10A on the other hand is a BVR and hence comparable to the Meteor and not MICA.

Pakistan should not rather must not opt for an French option.. no doubt that they are potent, time tested, reliable etc etc but other than the price and the threat of backing out at last minute we need to develop our own industry. chinese give us the option to assemble/manufacture KLJ in Pakistan. if they give us even 50% of an aesa work initially followed by more work we will be wayyyyyy better off.
We need to start somehwere and this seems to be a good aircraft to do so.... the same though can not be said about the power plant.

One thing is certain, the French aren't reliable suppliers. We have often seen how Western suppliers back off. There is no real need for Pakistan to opt for French hardware. Whatever we have is adequate. More importantly, it fulfils our requirement manifold.

[QUOTESD-10A on the other hand is a BVR and hence comparable to the Meteor and not MICA.][/QUOTE]

SD10 is nothing like meteore.

SD10 is more like the Russian R77 OR Amraam c7 IE A FOURTH GENERATION MISSLE

METEORES will not arrive until 2016 and they are fifth generation RAM JET MISSLES

another level completely.

The world’s most effective air-to-air missiles - Airforce Technology

SD10 not even mentioned as a Top Missle in this artcile

@That Guy is the only one that got it right!

The original deal from 2007 is what inspired the Jane's piece dating back to 2010 IIRC.
Most likely the AsianDefence guy found it on the web and forgot to check the date.

I'll openly defy anyone to find me a report by Jane's defense more recent than that stating the same thing!

Good hunt, Tay.

Don't know about the deal anymore Dasault says they are 95% compete the deal with India. If they French are using this deal as leverage, it's not happening.

Then talking with you will be absolutely useless, no ? What's your opinion ?
well its up to you...but I am pointing at reports in indian media after militants activities in occupied Kashmir....they are putting blame on ISI and not just stopping here...they are even going to create a war hysteria like they did after Mumbai attacks...
we could have done the same after Peshawar school attacks...but that's not the solution...I don't know why Indians are so behind in getting that ?

Yeah, I somehow doubt this entire article. Even if you were to believe that Pakistan would provide China with military tech from one of it's few European friendly nations, it's completely moronic to suggest that Pakistan provided the Chinese with F-16s for it's J-10. The J-10 is built on Israeli F-16 tech, Pakistan had nothing to do with it. I have no doubt that the USA has kept close eyes on Pakistan F-16s, and I'm sure they would have made had a public outcry if Pakistan provided the Chinese with F-16s. These actions would have led to suspension of military equipment and system transfer to Pakistan immediately.

I don't believe this article for a second.

Pakistan isn't a poor nation, it is middle income, stop perpetuating this myth.

You are in constant negotiation with the IMF all the time
You are strapped for funds to purchase military equipment

You are in constant negotiation with the IMF all the time
You are strapped for funds to purchase military equipment
There are no negotiations with the IMF. The IMF and Pakistan have set a road map for economic recovery, which seems to be working, even if the road map has been slow to implement.

Regardless of a lack of funds, a need is a need. Funds will come, if a need must be fulfilled, that's how nations work. It may not be able to make large scale military procurement yet, but it can buy urgently requirement equipment, such as the f-16s from Jordan in Nov 2014

There are no negotiations with the IMF. The IMF and Pakistan have set a road map for economic recovery, which seems to be working, even if the road map has been slow to implement.

Regardless of a lack of funds, a need is a need. Funds will come, if a need must be fulfilled, that's how nations work. It may not be able to make large scale military procurement yet, but it can buy urgently requirement equipment, such as the f-16s from Jordan in Nov 2014

Pakistan got a $6.6 billion loan from the IMF in Oct 2013
IMF Survey : Pakistan Gets $6.6 Billion Loan from IMF

When you are looking to get 2nd hand F-16s, Cobra helicopters etc from multitude of countries you are strapped for cash

[QUOTE="wiseone2, post: 6962457, member: 167111" ]

When you are looking to get 2nd hand F-16s, Cobra helicopters etc from multitude of countries you are strapped for cash[/QUOTE]
Those Jordanian f16 are cost effective mlu planes readily made available to paf within week after the agreement.

What else paf could wish for.

These second hand f16 are much better and potent machine than your 30 years under construction LCA ( late coming aircraft).

MICA is a short to medium range HOBS missile the likes of which Pakistan does not posses. SD-10A on the other hand is a BVR and hence comparable to the Meteor and not MICA.

Here MICA (radar guided) is discussed when compared with AIM-120 or SD-10 not MICA-IR which you are mentioning.

[QUOTESD-10A on the other hand is a BVR and hence comparable to the Meteor and not MICA.

SD10 is nothing like meteore.

SD10 is more like the Russian R77 OR Amraam c7 IE A FOURTH GENERATION MISSLE

METEORES will not arrive until 2016 and they are fifth generation RAM JET MISSLES

another level completely.

The world’s most effective air-to-air missiles - Airforce Technology

SD10 not even mentioned as a Top Missle in this artcile [/QUOTE]

SD-10 is equivalent of AMRAAM & R-77, for Meteor China is working on PL-21.

Here MICA (radar guided) is discussed when compared with AIM-120 or SD-10 not MICA-IR which you are mentioning.

MICA-EM is the same missile as the MICA-IR just with a different seeker. Same range, same roll, same capabilities (apart from the seeker). SD-10 and MICA-IR/EM aren't even in the same category or roll. SD-10 (+100 Km) is a BVR comparable to the AIM-120C while MICA-IR and MICA-EM (50 Km) are short - medium range HOBS missiles closer to the Aim-9X.

Last edited:
Pakistan got a $6.6 billion loan from the IMF in Oct 2013
IMF Survey : Pakistan Gets $6.6 Billion Loan from IMF

When you are looking to get 2nd hand F-16s, Cobra helicopters etc from multitude of countries you are strapped for cash
Strapped for cash doesn't equal poor. It is difficult, but Pakistan can find the money to buy whatever it needs. With the economy improving, expect Pakistan's military expenditure (in particular with the navy) to increase with a few years time.

Back
Top Bottom