Xian H-6 powered by Mikulin AM-3

Hongdu JL8 powered by Garrett TFE731-2A-2A turbofan

Hongdu L-15 powered by 2 × Ivchenko Progress AI-222K-25F afterburning turbofans

Harbin Y-12 powered by 2 × Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-27 turboprop

Shaanxi Y-8 powered by 4 x License-built copy of the Turbomeca Turmo

Xian H-6 powered by 2 x Mikulin AM-3

J31 powered by 2 x Rd 33

J20 Powered by 2 x Saturn-Lyulka AL-31FN

J-20 isn't powered by AL-31, since Russia has not sold us the TVC version of AL-31.

While this engine got TVC, and the nozzles are different from AL-31FN's.

19437251.jpg

Also, J-11 has A variant and B variant.

The later variant uses the WS-10, it is all that matter.

oops

Chengdu J-10 powered by Saturn-Lyulka AL-31FN

Shenyang J-11 powered by Saturn-Lyulka AL-31FN

Xian JH-7 powered by Rolls-Royce Spey Mk 202

Shenyang J-8 powered by twin Chinese variant of Tumansky R-13-300 turbojet

Chengdu J-7 powered by Chinese variant of Tumansky R-13-300 turbojet

Xian H-6 powered by Mikulin AM-3

Hongdu JL8 powered by Garrett TFE731-2A-2A turbofan

Hongdu L-15 powered by 2 × Ivchenko Progress AI-222K-25F afterburning turbofans

Harbin Y-12 powered by 2 × Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-27 turboprop

Shaanxi Y-8 powered by 4 x License-built copy of the Turbomeca Turmo

Xian H-6 powered by 2 x Mikulin AM-3

J31 powered by 2 x Rd 33

J20 Powered by 2 x Saturn-Lyulka AL-31FN

It does not matter this design is original from foreign. Most important is China can 100% make this engine and in wartime or export sales, Non restricted. Fancy you try to mock it. Can INdia do it? No. In wartime or export sales, if India is against Russia or US. You will not have a single engine from them and your airforce will crumble.

It does not matter this design is original from foreign. Most important is China can 100% make this engine and in wartime or export sales, Non restricted. Fancy you try to mock it. Can INdia do it? No. In wartime or export sales, if India is against Russia or US. You will not have a single engine from them and your airforce will crumble.
I am not poking at your Indigenous program unlike the OP... I am just counter claiming that importing engines from russia is not just purely due to logistics, all of your platforms use a foreign engine, not just J10's or J11......Which to me is not a bad thing. these are reliable engines and smart project management for indigenous platforms

I suggest everyone ignore the Sandy Indian troll. Obviously, he's totally clueless. Look at the date of my first citation. It is almost three years old. The debate about Chinese domestic engines was resolved almost three years ago.
----------
Four new Chinese J-11B Shenyang Flanker fighters with domestic WS-10A engines

New-type Fighters in training (2) - People's Daily Online

"New-type Fighters in training (2)
(China Military Online)
September 17, 2012

Nao7DuL.jpg

Recently,four new-type fighters of an aviation unit of the air force under the Jinan Military Area Command (MAC) of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) flew to unfamiliar sea waters and organized training on such subjects as electronic confrontation and medium-range missile attack, penetration and assault, valley flight and so on, in a bid to lay a solid foundation for actual combat.

Wp12C5n.jpg

The fighter formation is in hedge-hopping flight. (Photo by Cui Wenbin/Chinamil)"

[Note: Thank you to Greyboy2 for the newslink.]
----------
Chinese WS-10A engines are already in mass production (see picture below)

3KUGUzw.jpg

Could the WS-10A engine power the J-10, J-11B, and J-15 aircraft? The answer is "yes" if two conditions are met. Firstly, Chinese production of WS-10A engines must be sufficient to meet the demand (including production of parts for maintenance and replacement engines at the end of the expected lifetime) for all three aircraft.

Secondly, I don't know if WS-10A engines are interchangeable with AL-31F engines. If they are not readily interchangeable without modifying the fuselage then the current fighters with AL-31F engines will most likely stay with AL-31F replacement engines.

Ragv0fI.jpg

J-10B Vigorous Dragon flying with WS-10A engine

N9vbKUA.jpg

J-11B flying with WS-10A engines

f4TSUT4.jpg

J-15 Flying Shark with WS-10A engines

To conclude the discussion on the use of domestic WS-10A engines on the J-10, J-11B, and J-15, there is a new photograph of a J-11BS equipped with WS-10A engines.

5nOiecO.jpg

"A [J-11BS] tandem twin-seat combat-capable training aircraft for J-11B pilots."

[Note: Thank you to SiegeCrossbow for the J-11BS picture.]

Last edited:
I am not poking at your Indigenous program unlike the OP... I am just counter claiming that importing engines from russia is not just purely due to logistics, all of your platforms use a foreign engine, not just J10's or J11......

Its foreign design and not foreign engine. WS-9II powered JH-7A is 100% made in China with even 10% upthrust compare to old british Sprey.

China Defense Blog: JH-7A's WS-9 Qinling engine

JH-7 Chief Designer: Qinling-2 Turbofan is competitive to French M53-P2 engine | China Defense Mashup

The engine powered our famous J-7G is upthrust Tumansky version engine.

So as the WS_10A based on CMF-56 but is 100% made in China powering J-11B and J-16.

Last edited:
Stop making up news. Using bogus source and link does not prove your point.

Hummmmm, What ever do not suit you is bogus. After Saying that your jets are superior, you went to russia to bag Su 35, Smae is the case for Subs, S400 everything is bogus because it does not suit your wishful thinking.

Naive people do not understand that building a plane engine involve a lots of R & D and huge gap cannot be bridged overnight. US and Russia are great military powers with brilliant scientist and and Huge R & D since cold war time. They are much ahead of others and their achievements cannot be overtaken overnight. They keep posting all bull sheet and their wishful thinking on forum to display their ignorance.

Hummmmm, What ever do not suit you is bogus. After Saying that your jets are superior, you went to russia to bag Su 35, Smae is the case for Subs, S400 everything is bogus because it does not suit your wishful thinking.

Naive people do not understand that building a plane engine involve a lots of R & D and huge gap cannot be bridged overnight. US and Russia are great military powers with brilliant scientist and and Huge R & D since cold war time. They are much ahead of others and their achievements cannot be overtaken overnight. They keep posting all bull sheet and their wishful thinking on forum to display their ignorance.
Show us one picture or a confirm Chinese media that we got Su35 or you need to shut your mouth up.

I have posted so many times on forum including the news from china times.
China Time is not a credible source to talk in such confident voice. Now I want you to provide from Jane Defense or any of our official media that stated that we have a deal for Su-35. Better yet, show us one Chinese pilot flying Su-35 and I swear we will NEVER speak of our superiority over your Indian EVER again!

Its foreign design and not foreign engine. WS-9II powered JH-7A is 100% made in China with even 10% upthrust compare to old british Sprey.

China Defense Blog: JH-7A's WS-9 Qinling engine

JH-7 Chief Designer: Qinling-2 Turbofan is competitive to French M53-P2 engine | China Defense Mashup

The engine powered our famous J-7G is upthrust Tumansky version engine.

So as the WS_10A based on CMF-56 but is 100% made in China powering J-11B and J-16.
Quick Fact Check at Sipri reveals the following:

Trade Registers

123 AL-31 Turbofan 2011 2012-2013 (70) $500 m deal; AL-31FN version; for J-10 combat aircraft produced in China

55 D-30 Turbofan 2009 2009-2012 (55) For H-6K bomber aircraft produced in China and possibly for modernization of Il-76 transport aircraft

(150) AL-31 Turbofan 2011 2012-2013 (35) For J-11B combat aircraft produced in China; AL-31F version

184 D-30 Turbofan 2011 2012-2013 (64) For H-6K bomber aircraft and Y-20 transport aircraft produced in China and modernization of Il-76 transport aircraft

Quick Fact Check at Sipri reveals the following:

Trade Registers

123 AL-31 Turbofan 2011 2012-2013 (70) $500 m deal; AL-31FN version; for J-10 combat aircraft produced in China

55 D-30 Turbofan 2009 2009-2012 (55) For H-6K bomber aircraft produced in China and possibly for modernization of Il-76 transport aircraft

(150) AL-31 Turbofan 2011 2012-2013 (35) For J-11B combat aircraft produced in China; AL-31F version

184 D-30 Turbofan 2011 2012-2013 (64) For H-6K bomber aircraft and Y-20 transport aircraft produced in China and modernization of Il-76 transport aircraft

Check your calendar. It's 2015.

All of your citations are two to three years old.

I want to know. Where have you been for the last three years? Can your eyes see the pictures that I posted? Or are you blind as a bat?

But tell me about the ECM does J-10 possess the same quality that the Rafale has?.

That is the main challenge it's not the missile it's the ECM.

But tell me about the ECM does J-10 possess the same quality that the Rafale has?.

That is the main challenge it's not the missile it's the ECM.

The J-10 ECM could be superior. We won't know until there is direct combat.

We do know the J-10 flies higher, faster, and the PL-12 has a longer range than the Rafale Mica.

The Rafale is clearly at a disadvantage. The J-10 has look-down shoot-down domination over Rafale.

China Time is not a credible source to talk in such confident voice. Now I want you to provide from Jane Defense or any of our official media that stated that we have a deal for Su-35. Better yet, show us one Chinese pilot flying Su-35 and I swear we will NEVER speak of our superiority over your Indian EVER again!

I know. Nothng is crdible for the gang of people like you, Beast Buedo, cirr etc Your wishfull thinking exposed on forum like this is the only credible source and not the numbers of articles published in West, China, Russia etc. Keep enjoying your wishful thinking. I do not want to come in way.

Check your calendar. It's 2015.

All of your citations are two to three years old.

I want to know. Where have you been for the last three years? Can your eyes see the pictures that I posted? Or are you blind as a bat?
Well , looks like I have to break it down for you, How many J10's and J11's did you make from 2011-2013? Did you completely utilize all imported engines.
And yes with your break through in your project in 2014, you imported around 300 Al31's a couple of years ago..That does make perfect sense.

Back
Top Bottom