What's new

Fighter plane, frigate and Tanks for armed forces: Planning minister

It will be F-7BG.

I can bet upto US $ 100 on that. The existing F-7MB of BAF will be replaced with that type.

That will simply kill the purpose of new procurement. You don't want to replace junk with junk. F7s and Mig 21s are third generation fighters, be it their latest variants, their era is long over and cannot compete on any basis with modern fighter. BAF is in bad shape they need modern contemporary fighters to fulfill their needs and maintain a respectable fleet. Money is a big issue in third world countries where there is even less defense spending, in order to acquire that, BAF needs to maintain an optimal mix of Hi-Lo fighters,same as PAF, both to get them numbers and quality. At least 100 modern day fighters would be required to give them some what credible deterrent. F18s, if the news is true, would do the job by filling in Hi quarters , although would cost much more then Chinese or Russian platforms, but they are spotless in any any regard, and hence worth it. At least two squadrons of them, and they should be augmented by a low cost yet dependable modern fighter at least 4 squadrons to fill in the low quarters. This is where JF- 17 comes to mind, which fit in perfectly, specially now that it has come a long way from its initials. BAF can also follow PAFs path and integrate some western stuff into them to make them near capable fighters of their western contemporaries at a quarter of their price tags. I know even some Pakistani ill informed and naive souls criticize it for no good reasons, But I believe this is Gods blessing on poor nations like us to equip themselves with modern tech, which can do the job well, without selling their souls to the west.

Now I am sure this will cost good amount of money,but sovereignty is priceless, and if BAF can carve out a plan for the next 8 to 10 years, this can be well achieved, not pushing them to hard for the money.

F7 at this stage will be throwing your money into a garbage bin. Remember every new procurement would be expected to serve for at least next 30 years or so to live out its life at a perceived cost. Now if F7s are already thought to be obsolete, what good be them by 2040???

Just my thoughts, spare me if i crossed my limits.

:pakistan:

adios

Last edited:
F7 at this stage will be throwing your money into a garbage bin. Remember every new procurement would be expected to serve for at least next 30 years or so to live out its life at a perceived cost. Now if F7s are already thought to be obsolete, what good be them by 2040???

Exactly.

For Bangladesh,our Air defence should be based on SAMs and smaller number of fighters,as we can't maintain large number of fighters.

I don't know whether FC-1/Jf-17 is on the list or not,but if its upgraded with Western techs and is supported by good SAM system like S-300 or HQ-9,then it is quite good Air defence for BD.Govt. also planning to buy SAMs.With FC-1s acting as interceptors.Suits our Defensive strategy.

But if we are offered J-10s as offered to Burmese,then we should go for them. :D

Exactly.

But if we are offered J-10s as offered to Burmese,then we should go for them. :D

First of all i would like to clarify that I am trying to market FC-1/JF-17 here,you might have got that impression from my earlier post, which is not the case.

Now coming to the topic, i don't think Burmese were ever offered J-10, Remember the first customer for J-10 in line is Pakistan. The whole world knows the kind of relationship SINO-PAK is enjoying, no one else falls in that radius, so how come Burmese were offered before us??? This was only released from a Russian source that Burma was offered both J10 and FC-1 but they chose Migs over them. Now even a common man can understand that it was Russian effort to prove that Migs are better then both J10 and FC-1, in order not lose any potential customers to them. I would like any Burmese Official Source suggesting J10 being offered to them, forget even the competition.

Coming to your point, I agree that J10 is more potent then JF-17 but there is a big difference in cost. An FC-1 with complete chinese goodies would cost around 18-20 million a piece where as with western goodies it would cost up to 25 million (but remember that would put it in the big guns league) still a lot cheaper then J-10. Personally I would have loved J10 and FC-1 combination In BAF, there are several reasons for that, but since BAF is more inclined towards super hornets so I think that spot is gone now.

There are two views for every scenario my friend, an Idealistic view and a realistic view. Depends which one, a person is inclined to. I personally take the realistic option. J10 can surely be there with super hornets but that would be waste of resources in my view. Remember even if only four Squards are to be bought, that would at least cost you 4-4.5 billion dollars, to heavy load for BAF considering they would be buying super hornets too. The same job can be done with less then half the price by thunders. Considering Bangladesh's Economy and then specially military expenditure, wont allow you to go that far. So its better to make smart decisions then to sit and only hope for the best.

Same is the case with Pakistan, why do you think we are buying hundreds of them when we are also getting J10 and latest F-16s??? Because that is more realistic and achievable, without giving us more pains and compromises. Other wise from, an Idealistic perspective, every one in Pakistan would have loved to see RAPTOR in our arsenal, but thanks God we don't think that way.

adios

Bangladesh Looks to Order Fighters, MPAs in 2010
11-Feb-2010 15:27 EST

Flight International reports that Bangladeshi planning minister A.K. Khandker has informed Parliament that the government intends to buy “a squadron” of fighters and 2 maritime patrol aircraft, as part of its 2010 procurement plans. This would be a significant commitment for Bangladesh, whose 2008-2009 defense budget came in at around $1 billion.

Types of aircraft sought were not specified, but dedicated maritime patrol aircraft of any kind would add a new level of capability to the force. The air force’s active fighter roster currently includes Russian MiG-29s (16), and Chinese aircraft: F-7 variants of the MiG-21 (40, but declining), and A-5 attack aircraft (18).

Bangladesh’s most significant neighbor is India, which encompasses the country’s entire border. Relations had become strained over the number of Naxalite Marxist and Islamist groups using Bangladesh as a waypoint and/or base, but a recent diplomatic thaw and set of agreements have improved the relationship.

Bangladesh Looks to Order Fighters, MPAs in 2010

Yes also there are too many talking going on in US congress house, like BD is the strongest ally, BD can be a bridge between muslim world and US lab lab laa.... They must have heard something in the background.
:angel:
Thanks for sharing this important insideous information in the US Congress. BD may be seen in the USA as a model Muslim country that is progressive minded and can achieve economic prosperity.

USA may think that a modernized BD will be in a position to play the role of a model Muslim State that can be emulated in the future by other hardline Muslim countries, who may give up fanatism and would go after economic prosperity.

If this is the US thinking, then BD should gear up all its efforts to match the expectations of the western world. We certainly want an economically strong Bangladesh.

That will simply kill the purpose of new procurement. You don't want to replace junk with junk. F7s and Mig 21s are third generation fighters, be it their latest variants, their era is long over and cannot compete on any basis with modern fighter. BAF is in bad shape they need modern contemporary fighters to fulfill their needs and maintain a respectable fleet. Money is a big issue in third world countries where there is even less defense spending, in order to acquire that, BAF needs to maintain an optimal mix of Hi-Lo fighters,same as PAF, both to get them numbers and quality. At least 100 modern day fighters would be required to give them some what credible deterrent. F18s, if the news is true, would do the job by filling in Hi quarters , although would cost much more then Chinese or Russian platforms, but they are spotless in any any regard, and hence worth it. At least two squadrons of them, and they should be augmented by a low cost yet dependable modern fighter at least 4 squadrons to fill in the low quarters. This is where JF- 17 comes to mind, which fit in perfectly, specially now that it has come a long way from its initials. BAF can also follow PAFs path and integrate some western stuff into them to make them near capable fighters of their western contemporaries at a quarter of their price tags. I know even some Pakistani ill informed and naive souls criticize it for no good reasons, But I believe this is Gods blessing on poor nations like us to equip themselves with modern tech, which can do the job well, without selling their souls to the west.

Now I am sure this will cost good amount of money,but sovereignty is priceless, and if BAF can carve out a plan for the next 8 to 10 years, this can be well achieved, not pushing them to hard for the money.

Just my thoughts, spare me if i crossed my limits.

adios

My man, I just put what I am sensing.

What you have mentioned above is correct, but I am sensing that F-7BG will be the new fighters.

I many be wrong and hence ready to bet on it.

Corrrect me if I am wrong, Didn't the BAF recieved some 16 F-7BG's and 4 FT-7BG's (2 Seat Trainer Versions) in 2006 as well?

For the records from the same forum

http://www.defence.pk/forums/bangla...ladesh-air-forces-f-7bg-poor-mans-f-16-a.html

GB

My man, I just put what I am sensing.

What you have mentioned above is correct, but I am sensing that F-7BG will be the new fighters.

I many be wrong and hence ready to bet on it.

I got your point in your previous post, but i believe, if that happens,that would not be a wise rather call is silly decision on the part of GOB and my above posts were the reason for that.

Corrrect me if I am wrong, Didn't the BAF recieved some 16 F-7BG's and 4 FT-7BG's (2 Seat Trainer Versions) in 2006 as well?

For the records from the same forum

http://www.defence.pk/forums/bangla...ladesh-air-forces-f-7bg-poor-mans-f-16-a.html

GB

I don't know about that, but that is possible, even PAF got F-7 PGs in 2002. The reason for that is there were not to many options for us at that time, now things have changed, J-10 and Jf-17 have emerged as new players in the market( that's good news for 3rd world) and as per Bangla sources Super hornets are the first choice and are on offer, so why to settle for something far less:what: I simply cant believe it, they would make such a grave mistake.

adios

I don't know about that, but that is possible, even PAF got F-7 PGs in 2002. The reason for that is there were not to many options for us at that time, now things have changed, J-10 and Jf-17 have emerged as new players in the market( that's good news for 3rd world) and as per Bangla sources Super hornets are the first choice and are on offer, so why to settle for something far less:what: I simply cant believe it, they would make such a grave mistake.

adios

Paisa.

Money.

Required for purchase and maintainance as for as F-18 goes.

BD had a corruption problem with MiG-29 maintainance due to which those beautiful and capable birds were down for quite some time.

Besides BD getting F-18 and India going for F-18 Super Hornett won't make sense.

Yes BAF F-18 will give equal punch to Myanmar MiG-29K/SMT.

GB

Besides BD getting F-18 and India going for F-18 Super Hornett won't make sense.

Yes BAF F-18 will give equal punch to Myanmar MiG-29K/SMT.

GB

The decision to buy fighter squadron is a direct response to Burmese Migs.

So F-18 sounds logical,(considering BAF is going for them).

The decision to buy fighter squadron is a direct response to Burmese Migs.

So F-18 sounds logical,(considering BAF is going for them).

Myanmarese MiG's or not. BAF as a force requires new fighters.

I mean look at the current fleet.

F-6 can't fly at night.

A/Q-5 even its not fully operational in PAF.

F-7 even the BG is no match to IAF's Bison.

MiG-29. 16 means nothing.

I have always advocated that BD should keep the Singaporese economic module in mind.

If BD even achieves 1/10th of that the BD defences will give equal punch to all its potential enemies.

GB

Well, yes....there is even the slightest chances that the fighters may turn out to be F-7..... But honestly, recent activities makes me think differently.... I supposedly consider the fighters to be F-18 because of the pilot training.....MIG procurement of burmese......etc.

I mean whats the motive behind sending young pilots for F-18 training....it could not be just a "experience of a lifetime" stuff for them....that too in US.... time consuming.... expenses behind the training for whoever is paying......so these things just dont add to say that its for fun.....theres off course a reason behind it....and thats what we have to wait for and see.........thus in my view, F-18 is on line i believe......:police:

Cheers!!!

Myanmarese MiG's or not. BAF as a force requires new fighters.

I mean look at the current fleet.

F-6 can't fly at night.

A/Q-5 even its not fully operational in PAF.

F-7 even the BG is no match to IAF's Bison.

MiG-29. 16 means nothing.
Thanks for being practical. The dire straightness of today's BAF unfortunately lies on the creation of BD itself. As long as BD stays tied up by Indian shakle, its Military force would never be a great one. In order to make its defence/BAF impregneble, the first and foremost thing is to get rid of AWAMY-Commie dalals from its soil IMO.

I have always advocated that BD should keep the Singaporese economic module in mind.

If BD even achieves 1/10th of that the BD defences will give equal punch to all its potential enemies.

GB
Sorry for being a party spoiler since it is your country that would never allow us have such potential.

I am a bit confused here. Are we talking about F/A-18 C/D's from USN/USMC reserves or new F/A-18 E/F's for bangladesh? If its the latter, then I honestly feel that BAF should consider other cost effective options such as the su-27/30 family.

I am a bit confused here. Are we talking about F/A-18 C/D's from USN/USMC reserves or new F/A-18 E/F's for bangladesh? If its the latter, then I honestly feel that BAF should consider other cost effective options such as the su-27/30 family.

Its the former one frm the USN....not latter one......:)

Cheers!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom