What's new

EXCLUSIVE FIRST VIDEO & IMAGES: Here She Is! D63 Kolkata Destroyer With Indian Navy

thestringshredder

Reaction score
Country
India
EXCLUSIVE FIRST VIDEO & IMAGES: Here She Is! D63 Kolkata Destroyer With Indian Navy

IMG_7749.JPG

DSC_0154.JPG

DSC_0134.JPG

DSC_0163.JPG

DSC_0071.JPG

DSC_0083.JPG

IMG_7753.JPG

IMG_7772.JPG

IMG_7724.JPG

IMG_7744.JPG

Link - Livefist: EXCLUSIVE FIRST IMAGES: Here She Is! D63 Kolkata Destroyer With Indian Navy

looks like a bad a$$ ship for rouge ship in IOR.8-)8-)

Someone is clearly inspired by the Daring class. Although that is much cleaner in comparison.

Someone is clearly inspired by the Daring class. Although that is much cleaner in comparison.

Would like you to put that into perspective.

P-15B should bring more improvement to that. But sure, this is sufficient for now.

Last edited:
SHIP_DDG_Type-45_HMS_Daring_Returning_Trials_lg.jpg

Similar looking lines(as is the standard formula these days). But much more sticking out here and there.

Although nothing close to the La Fayette..
lafayette10.jpg

Yeah, got you. Edited my post anyway...BTW there's nothing much that similar between Kolk and Daring in
rough terms either though, whether in terms of armament numbers, aircraft, speed, and radars (static arrays ; rotating array)..
in case you were referring to the mast, the high-mounted radars & stuff aren't unique to Daring either.

SHIP_DDG_Type-45_HMS_Daring_Returning_Trials_lg.jpg

Similar looking lines(as is the standard formula these days). But much more sticking out here and there.

Although nothing close to the La Fayette..
lafayette10.jpg

Actually I had a disagreement with @Penguin over this long back, the design lineage (as Penguin had stated) is more or less derived from the Delhi class ships (I disputed that back then, although with more complete pictures sprouting up since then I had to defer to the accuracy of his statement), needless to say, that the design changes in terms of meeting lower signature requirements might lend the vessel some semblance to the 45s but that's more coincidental than anything else.

On a side note, I really hope that the folks at the NDB will incorporate flush decks and integrated masts on the 15Bs and 17As, more importantly perhaps an universal VLS for AShM/LACMs and SAMs, If not the latter (universal VLS) then at least attempt to fit in more munitions either way.

Actually I had a disagreement with @Penguin over this long back, the design lineage (as Penguin had stated) is more or less derived from the Delhi class ships (I disputed that back then, although with more complete pictures sprouting up since then I had to defer to the accuracy of his statement), needless to say, that the design changes in terms of meeting lower signature requirements might lend the vessel some semblance to the 45s but that's more coincidental than anything else.

For a common issue (in this case reducing RCS) there will be a common solution, there is a term for this but it is eluding me at this very moment. It is the same reason that all the flying wing UCAV designs (MIG SKAT, X-47, NEURON, AURUA etc) are so similar that leads mean, less informed individuals, to speculate that certain designs are copies of one another.

On a side note, I really hope that the folks at the NDB will incorporate flush decks and integrated masts on the 15Bs and 17As, more importantly perhaps an universal VLS for AShM/LACMs and SAMs, If not the latter (universal VLS) then at least attempt to fit in more munitions either way.

Most of the discussions here WRT "Stealth" aspects of Warships are simply a "red-herring". So please do not fall prey to that also. If "Stealth Warship" meant that a Warship can just disappear from Radar Screens; that will just not happen. Even a significant reduction in Radar Signature is very hard to achieve with conventional hull and top-side shapes. More effort goes into ECCMS now.

Consequently it is the reduction of other "signatures" most notably IR and Acoustic signatures which are more critical; and that is where the most amount of work is being attempted.

Most of the discussions here WRT "Stealth" aspects of Warships are simply a "red-herring". So please do not fall prey to that also. If "Stealth Warship" meant that a Warship can just disappear from Radar Screens; that will just not happen. Even a significant reduction in Radar Signature is very hard to achieve with conventional hull and top-side shapes. More effort goes into ECCMS now.

Consequently it is the reduction of other "signatures" most notably IR and Acoustic signatures which are more critical; and that is where the most amount of work is being attempted.

True, apparently the tumblehome hull design lends itself quite well to signature reduction though as opposed to conventional designs and can actually provide some bonafide advantages, or so the Americans believe. With most conventional hull designs any structurally induced signature reduction is likely to be nominal wrt say a fighter aircraft's FCR detecting said ship from relatively long ranges.

@Capt.Popeye Although, I can spot only 32 VLS (16 aft of the primary munitions cells and 16 on the aft end of the ship itself above the hangar) cells over and above the primary 16 cells for AShMs/LACMs. That means that the ship can carry 32 Barak-8 missiles in a ready to launch configuration at best, and that is assuming that the 32 cells are not shared by both the Barak-8s and the Barak-1s, any ides as to what the relevant figures are likely to be? Am I missing something, because I can't spot any separate cells for the Barak-1?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom