What's new

EXCLUSIVE FIRST VIDEO & IMAGES: Here She Is! D63 Kolkata Destroyer With Indian Navy

Actually I had a disagreement with @Penguin over this long back, the design lineage (as Penguin had stated) is more or less derived from the Delhi class ships (I disputed that back then, although with more complete pictures sprouting up since then I had to defer to the accuracy of his statement), needless to say, that the design changes in terms of meeting lower signature requirements might lend the vessel some semblance to the 45s but that's more coincidental than anything else.

On a side note, I really hope that the folks at the NDB will incorporate flush decks and integrated masts on the 15Bs and 17As, more importantly perhaps an universal VLS for AShM/LACMs and SAMs, If not the latter (universal VLS) then at least attempt to fit in more munitions either way.

The newest french concoction FREMM is a great example. A modular ship for all needs.

Most of the discussions here WRT "Stealth" aspects of Warships are simply a "red-herring". So please do not fall prey to that also. If "Stealth Warship" meant that a Warship can just disappear from Radar Screens; that will just not happen. Even a significant reduction in Radar Signature is very hard to achieve with conventional hull and top-side shapes. More effort goes into ECCMS now.

Consequently it is the reduction of other "signatures" most notably IR and Acoustic signatures which are more critical; and that is where the most amount of work is being attempted.

The misconception of disappearing has to be addressed time and again. Even hollywood was smart enough when portraying stealth ships (ala Tomorrow never dies 1997) that at talked of signature being weak for radar.
All the hull shaping and smooth exterior does is reduce the range at which the ship can be detected by traditional EM measures(SAR might still pick it up at greater ranges).
Then IR takes over, then acoustic.. and so on.

At this point the FREMM is the only frigate to have true IR reduction measures( with the Daring and Horizon classes in second). I dont see such efforts made as such in Kolkata but the Karmota shows that promise.

Last edited:
The newest french concoction FREMM is a great example. A modular ship for all needs.

Italian version is better. French have doctrine that their ship will always be in some sort of battle group, counting on sinergies from others. Italians made it more of an independent vessel. Has better electronic gear, AESA instead of PESA and an additional gun.

Which agency is responsible for the overall specifications planning & designing of these ships?

The misconception of disappearing has to be addressed time and again. Even hollywood was smart enough when portraying stealth ships (ala Tomorrow never dies 1997) that at talked of signature being weak for radar.
All the hull shaping and smooth exterior does is reduce the range at which the ship can be detected by traditional EM measures(SAR might still pick it up at greater ranges).

At this point the FREMM is the only frigate to have true IR reduction measures( with the Daring and Horizon classes in second). I dont see such efforts made as such in Kolkata but the Karmota shows that promise.

Probably, from what I know a lot was done on the Kamorta and Kolkata for acoustic reduction (concurrently), can't really say anything specific on IR signature reduction etc. since no details are available and its not exactly possible to glean any details through a cursory look at some pictures.

I will not be hasty enough to draw big conclusions yet. Acoustic Signatures (in the underwater areas) are critical. Which is exactly the "kind of Music" that lurking Subs look for. Hence all the work towards minimising Acoustic Signatures by Damping, Raft Mounting etc is being done.

WRT IR Signatures, the FREMM design concept is just one. Another one is that used in the Shivaliks; where the exhaust stacks are in shielded uptakes to reduce heat signatures. Other measures are used in way of the Machinery Spaces to reduce the heat signatures. These are the worst offending areas, generally.
In times past; there was still another measure used; to route the exhaust just above the water-line. This is still visible in the Tarantul Corvettes. I first saw this arrangement on the old Petyas which were tremendously hot because of GT propulsion fitted in very compact hulls. Apart from that, when the GTs 'kicked in' the noise levels were humongous, but relatively the vibration was less than that while running Diesels.

MDL only builds the ships, the design is carried out by the NDB (Naval Design Bureau) that works directly
under the Navy.

Only the concept and specifications were given by the naval design bureau . The design and building of the ship was primarily done by Mazagon Dock

Why India builds ships out of tin foil? Look at the shell plating caving in.
87446-dont-know-if-trolling-or-just-very-stup.jpg

Why India builds ships out of tin foil? Look at the shell plating caving in.

You're not a particularly bright chap are you? I'll leave this question for your own senior member to answer, @Oscar, help this chap out, I believe that he shall be more receptive to reason when it is delivered by his compatriot.

Only the concept and specifications were given by the naval design bureau . The design and building of the ship was primarily done by Mazagon Dock

MDL doesn't have any design agency for these warships bro, the design is completely handled under Navy supervision by NDB...after the design is done, the NDB goes out looking for suitable shipyards to build the design. Once into construction,
some changes could be made in collaboration with the shipyard authorities, but design is completely in NDB's hand for
this one.

MDL doesn't have any design agency for these warships bro, the design is completely handled under Navy supervision by NDB...after the design is done, the NDB goes out looking for suitable shipyards to build the design. Once into construction,
some changes could be made in collaboration with the shipyard authorities, but design is completely in NDB's hand for
this one.[/quote

Kolkata Class Guided Missile Destroyers - Naval Technology

Conceptualised by the Indian Navy, the detailed design phase for the class was completed by MDL

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom