What's new

Ex-Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Calls For An End To The Iran🇮🇷-Saudi Arabia🇸🇦 Rivalry

What ever the Hell he wants! Who do you think you Pakistanis are for Iran to have to answer to you???
This is a discussion forum - if you don't want to respond to questions asked with civility during the course of a debate, then you shouldn't be on a discussion forum.
It's probably related to Afghanistan, mainly the Taliban and the US military withdrawal.
Why is the Iranian military engaging with India over a potential US military withdrawal in Afghanistan?

India isn't a neighboring State in Afghanistan - the country the Iranians should be engaging with on Afghanistan is Pakistan.

This is a discussion forum - if you don't want to respond to questions asked with civility during the course of a debate, then you shouldn't be on a discussion forum.

Why is the Iranian military engaging with India over a potential US military withdrawal in Afghanistan?

India isn't a neighboring State in Afghanistan - the country the Iranians should be engaging with on Afghanistan is Pakistan.
I doubt if it is Afghanistan...Indians are nervous about OIL and oil prices shooting up..they have shot themselves in the foot by obeying Trump and cutting Iran oil imports to Zero. Now they want Preferential oil contracts from Iran ..not going to happen...You get to know your real friends at the hard times and India is not one of them neither is south Korea...Pakistan is a friend and as you said Afghanistan issue relate more to Pakistan and Iran when the US finally gets out.

Because India plays a role in the peace process of Afghanistan. Just because they're not a neighbor of Afghanistan, it doesn't mean that they do not play a role there and they should be ignored.

The whole idea that if a country is not a direct neighbor of another country then that country's interests should be ignored is dangerous and can lead to disasters. They try to apply the same logic to Iran's interests in Syria. Iran is not a direct neighbor of Syria, but we have interests there. And we have proven to be an influential player in the Syrian conflict. Had they recognized Iran's role in Syria, the Syrian civil war wouldn't have spiraled out of control. The same logic applies to India. If we want a lasting peace in Afghanistan, all regional players must be recognized in the peace process. If not, there will be no peace.

Because India plays a role in the peace process of Afghanistan. Just because they're not a neighbor of Afghanistan, it doesn't mean that they do not play a role there and they should be ignored.

The whole idea that if a country is not a direct neighbor of another country then that country's interests should be ignored is dangerous and can lead to disasters. They try to apply the same logic to Iran's interests in Syria. Iran is not a direct neighbor of Syria, but we have interests there. And we have proven to be an influential player in the Syrian conflict. Had they recognized Iran's role in Syria, the Syrian civil war wouldn't have spiraled out of control. The same logic applies to India. If we want a lasting peace in Afghanistan, all regional players must be recognized in the peace process. If not, there will be no peace.
India has no role in the Afghan peace process, unless you're arguing that the Kabul regime and/or the NDS is essentially a proxy of India.

India is not really impacted by whatever occurs in Afghanistan, since it is isolated from it geographically by Pakistan. Unlike the US/NATO, India has no major military deployments that give it any kind of major stake in Afghanistan - you might as well argue that Somalia has a 'stake in Afghanistan'.

The ONLY stake India has in Afghanistan is to damage Pakistan via terrorism in Balochistan and FATA and play spoiler to the peace process so that conflict continues in Afghanistan and Pakistan's Western border continues to be unstable, and if Iran does not recognize that or chooses to engage with India on Afghanistan (outside of having tea and cookies while issuing banal non-committal statements on cooperation) then Iran is not a friend of Pakistan.

India has no role in the Afghan peace process, unless you're arguing that the Kabul regime and/or the NDS is essentially a proxy of India.

India is not really impacted by whatever occurs in Afghanistan, since it is isolated from it geographically by Pakistan. Unlike the US/NATO, India has no major military deployments that give it any kind of major stake in Afghanistan - you might as well argue that Somalia has a 'stake in Afghanistan'.

The ONLY stake India has in Afghanistan is to damage Pakistan via terrorism in Balochistan and FATA and play spoiler to the peace process so that conflict continues in Afghanistan and Pakistan's Western border continues to be unstable, and if Iran does not recognize that or chooses to engage with India on Afghanistan (outside of having tea and cookies while issuing banal non-committal statements on cooperation) then Iran is not a friend of Pakistan.
Politics is not about friendship. It is about interests and coexistence. Pakistan has always had good relations with Arab countries, particularly Saudi Arabia. Does that make Pakistan an enemy of Iran?

Again, you're using a logic that is troublesome. Just because India and Pakistan are enemies, that doesn't make Iran an enemy of Pakistan if we maintain good relations with both countries.

India clearly has interests in the Afghan peace process as you admittedly say that they see Pakistan's influence in Afghanistan as a challenge to them. Iran has recently hosted the Taliban, a group that is much closer to Pakistan than India. The United States will probably withdraw its military forces from Afghanistan in May. We host 4 million Afghans in Iran. We do not want another round of millions of Afghan refugees in Iran again.

Politics is not about friendship. It is about interests and coexistence. Pakistan has always had good relations with Arab countries, particularly Saudi Arabia. Does that make Pakistan an enemy of Iran?

Again, you're using a logic that is troublesome. Just because India and Pakistan are enemies, that doesn't make Iran an enemy of Pakistan if we maintain good relations with both countries.

India clearly has interests in the Afghan peace process as you admittedly say that they see Pakistan's influence in Afghanistan as a challenge to them. Iran has recently hosted the Taliban, a group that is much closer to Pakistan than India. The United States will probably withdraw its military forces from Afghanistan in May. We host 4 million Afghans in Iran. We do not want another round of millions of Afghan refugees in Iran again.
You didn't read my post properly - I didn't say any or all Iranian engagement with India was something of concern to Pakistan, I said that Iranian engagement with India over Afghanistan is an issue, for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

And on Afghanistan, as you appear to agree with me, Indian 'interests' in Afghanistan primarily revolve around Pakistan, as in keeping the Afghan-Pakistan border unstable and supporting terrorist groups in Balochistan (which should also be of concern to Iran given that these groups collaborate with other groups operating in Sistan) and former FATA.

So again, unless the Iranian engagement with India on Afghanistan is to tell India to stop supporting terrorist groups out of Afghanistan and to stop undermining the peace process, it is engagement that does not make sense outside of coordinating with India against Pakistan.

You didn't read my post properly - I didn't say any or all Iranian engagement with India was something of concern to Pakistan, I said that Iranian engagement with India over Afghanistan is an issue, for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

And on Afghanistan, as you appear to agree with me, Indian 'interests' in Afghanistan primarily revolve around Pakistan, as in keeping the Afghan-Pakistan border unstable and supporting terrorist groups in Balochistan (which should also be of concern to Iran given that these groups collaborate with other groups operating in Sistan) and former FATA.

So again, unless the Iranian engagement with India on Afghanistan is to tell India to stop supporting terrorist groups out of Afghanistan and to stop undermining the peace process, it is engagement that does not make sense outside of coordinating with India against Pakistan.
Pakistanis continues to play a huge role in the Saudi army. That's also something of concern to Iran. But these are realities that cannot be changed.

Yes, I agree with you that Indian interests in Afghanistan primarily revolve around Pakistan and China. I think they're equally worried about China. Afghanistan can link Pakistan and China and that will be a nightmare for India.

We do not know what they are talking about, but that's my speculation which has been discussed in the media. I personally think that Iran will probably agree that the Taliban should be part of the Afghan peace process. The best option for Iran is that the Afghan government consists of pro-US and anti-US elements in the future.

Afghanistan can link Pakistan and China and that will be a nightmare for India.
That doesn't make sense - Pakistan shares a direct border with China and has had the Karakoram highway linking the two countries (with another highway being proposed further south I believe).

Pakistan does not need Afghanistan to connect with China, but to have a shorter connection to the Central Asian Republics.

And with respect to Pakistan's military engagement with the Saudis - Pakistan refused to be drawn into Yemen for precisely the reason that it did not want to get involved in the Saudi/UAE-Iranian conflict and take sides. Any engagement that Pakistan has had with the Saudis, Emiratis and Iranians over Yemen has been to encourage all sides to talk and find a negotiated solution.

As such, I would expect any Iranian engagement with India over Afghanistan to be limited to ending support for terrorist groups in Afghanistan (that have implications for Iran's Sistan insurgency as well) and using whatever influence they have over the Kabul regime and the NDS to support the peace process, along with discussions over transit trade. Any Iranian engagement with India over Afghanistan outside of those parameters does not make much sense and would be a concern to Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom