What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

The reason EAF is not allowed higher tech is multi pronged.

1. Proximity to Israel

2. Size of the country and population

Jordan is very small compared to Egypt and all the other countries you mentioned are very far from Israel.

Egypt is the most credible threat to Israel if well equipped.

This is a pretty interesting paragraph. If we were to assume this article is accurate (although there isn't any other source that I am aware of that gives similar information), then there's 3 particularly interesting points here. 1, the number of aircraft is nowhere near the 40+ that so many predicted which really sheds light on how easily things can be exaggerated by some. Gotta be much more pragmatic and understanding that the US doesn't offer such large numbers on an initial deal for an aircraft like this. 2 it says "purchasing" which means Egypt will be paying for these now and they're not part of the aid package. Since when has Egypt ever paid for any purchase from the US? And 3, the last line "came in a move to follow Cairo cancelling the Su-35 order from Russia" suggests that the Su-deal is cancelled. Words and sentence structure are very important, especially when the author & publication claims this was a "prepared 389-word report."

Good for him! I knew this man was a great choice for air force lieutenant commander.

Shame on the United States for insulting a great nation and ally like Egypt with an offer that would cause a former F-4 Phantom pilot and now head of the EAF to make such a distinction. This also means that the current MiG-29M/M2s in the EAF are excellent machines and have tremendous A-G weapons which we know of and very decent off-boresight short range missile in the R-37/34, but not the greatest in BVR missiles, unfortunately. But it is a good testament to the EAF MiGs and we can tell how they like them a lot the way they're flying them regularly and even taking them to Greece and Saudi Arabia on exercises.

"Overpriced"? That certainly means Egypt is paying for them. If that's the case, what nerve to offer a crapped down version for top dollar!? And weaker than the piece of crap Israeli F-16!? That's even worst. And downgraded EW? Are they not aware that Egypt already possesses SPECTRA on the Rafale as well as sensor fusion and one of the most advanced EW suite out of any fighter out there?

And control over flight, deployment and basing! Basing!? Why the frig would they care which base the EAF would want to use for them? That is about as absurd as it gets.

"Expects them to agree to the SALE"? I truly hope that the EAF sends them a letter that reads only one line, in huge, bold letters as such.

KICK ROCKS, THEN GO POUND SAND! :lol:

Absolutely. It's not surprising that the US made such a horrible offer and it also said "take it or leave it" which is even more of an insult, as if the EAF doesn't have any other choice if it denies their offer. It's so insulting it's ridiculous and a far cry from what we were anticipating the EAF would want; AIM-120C-7 or D (I think Pakistan has the D if I'm not mistaken), and equipping 100 F-16s with them as well as JDAMs & AIM-9X lool. Instead they offer a turkey turd. :sick:

Here's the ultimate question that really never gets discussed in detail - why is the US so apprehensive about Egypt obtaining advanced platforms & weapons? Despite other countries like the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar receiving top of the line platforms from their super advanced F-15s & F-16s to Apache Longbows to AIM-120 missiles and tankers and advanced AWACs etc. and none of them have any peace agreements with Israel like Egypt has honored for 40 years and these other countries don't even recognize the apartheid state. So why the heck is Egypt treated like such a pariah?
Honestly I will not believe one word only if someone reliable like Mahmoud Gamal etc... to confirm. We must always take TR with a pinch of salt. Sometimes he is reliable sometimes no. The only thing we can extract from this article is that the negotiation is very hard with USA and no ones has the will to compromise an option. Exactly like Gen. McKenzie described "which was a long, hard slog. They felt it was too long, it took too long."

Honestly I will not believe one word only if someone reliable like Mahmoud Gamal etc... to confirm. We must always take TR with a pinch of salt. Sometimes he is reliable sometimes no. The only thing we can extract from this article is that the negotiation is very hard with USA and no ones has the will to compromise an option. Exactly like Gen. McKenzie described "which was a long, hard slog. They felt it was too long, it took too long."

Indeed, that's why I wrote "If we were to assume this article is accurate (although there isn't any other source that I am aware of that gives similar information),"

Although it does sound a lot like what the US would do, take out the advanced EW suite and replace it with an older, less effective one and of course the armament. The usage conditions don't surprise me either, just the base selection is very strange.

It doesn't surprise me either that they probably offered the older AIM-120B which the R-77 has better range, hence the comment from the EAF's lieutenant general about the MiG-29M/M2 being more effective.

I do agree with you, the only way TR was able to get any of this info is if they interviewed US personnel close to the subject and not anyone in the EAF. Not sure they would quote the EAF's response when it's so damning.

Indeed, that's why I wrote "If we were to assume this article is accurate (although there isn't any other source that I am aware of that gives similar information),"

Although it does sound a lot like what the US would do, take out the advanced EW suite and replace it with an older, less effective one and of course the armament. The usage conditions don't surprise me either, just the base selection is very strange.

It doesn't surprise me either that they probably offered the older AIM-120B which the R-77 has better range, hence the comment from the EAF's lieutenant general about the MiG-29M/M2 being more effective.

I do agree with you, the only way TR was able to get any of this info is if they interviewed US personnel close to the subject and not anyone in the EAF. Not sure they would quote the EAF's response when it's so damning.
The problem is that our Air Force is in big crisis rn. First according to you and other sources, we have problems with SU-35's radar but it isn't that good/reliable and the second the deal of F-15 which will be downgraded.
Just give us the fucking AIM-120 C missile version. Our cousins have fucking two BVR missiles which are the Derby and AIM-120.
Do you think our EAF has ever trained with AIM-120 missile during exercies with UAE KSA (USA) Greece etc..

I hope the EAF will choose the best options.

Last edited:
The problem is that our Air Force is in big crisis rn. First according to you and other sources, we have problems with SU-35's radar but it isn't that good/reliable and the second the deal of F-15 which will be downgraded.

It's not great news all around, really. And just to reiterate, I'm not dissing the Su-35 overall because of the radar, but it's one of the most integral parts of a good fighter in this day and age. If the radar isn't an AESA and the enemy has an AESA with powerful jamming capabilities, it's a huge disadvantage. It's also difficult to understand how they claim it to be a hybrid PESA/AESA radar. I'm still looking into that although no one else claims such a thing, from the Rafale to the Typhoon to all the US-made radars. So need to look into that a bit more although there was something that suggested the EAF asked KnAAPO to replace the IRBIS-E to the same AESA radar going in the Su-57. Need to look into that a little more unless @The SC has the info on that.

Just give us the fucking AIM-120 C missile version. Our cousins have fucking two BVR missiles which are the Derby and AIM-120.

Hahahahahaha, yep, you are correct.

Do you think our EAF has ever trained with AIM-120 missile during exercies with UAE KSA (USA) Greece etc..

I don't think so. That's why the US has such strict usage conditions which I'm sure they invoke on the UAE & Saudi etc., and if they break those conditions and get caught, it'll be a lot of headaches that aren't worth it. So I'm sure they don't do it. Besides, whenever those 3 get together, they use those ACMI wingtip pods I posted about earlier, and not live missiles except maybe when they made recon sorties in Yemen with Saudi Arabia. In that case, they probably only carried their own missiles each.

I don't think so. That's why the US has such strict usage conditions which I'm sure they invoke on the UAE & Saudi etc., and if they break those conditions and get caught, it'll be a lot of headaches that aren't worth it. So I'm sure they don't do it. Besides, whenever those 3 get together, they use those ACMI wingtip pods I posted about earlier, and not live missiles except maybe when they made recon sorties in Yemen with Saudi Arabia. In that case, they probably only carried their own missiles each.
I didn't write correctly hahaha. I meant as with missiles pods (ACMI) training sorties etc... Ya3ni ofc I think there is pod made for the AIM-120 only. So if there is this kind of pods then our pilots can trained with those pods with our allied friends.

I didn't write correctly hahaha. I meant as with missiles pods (ACMI) training sorties etc... Ya3ni ofc I think there is pod made for the AIM-120 only. So if there is this kind of pods then our pilots can trained with those pods with our allied friends.

That's a great question. I'm willing to bet that the ACMI pod only simulates the missiles your aircraft can fire on an enemy aircraft. As for defending against missiles that your aircraft doesn't fire, not sure, but probably. Either way, any missile fired on your aircraft automatically triggers the MAWS Missile Approach Warning System and you get that beep beep beep inside the cockpit.

It's not great news all around, really. And just to reiterate, I'm not dissing the Su-35 overall because of the radar, but it's one of the most integral parts of a good fighter in this day and age. If the radar isn't an AESA and the enemy has an AESA with powerful jamming capabilities, it's a huge disadvantage. It's also difficult to understand how they claim it to be a hybrid PESA/AESA radar. I'm still looking into that although no one else claims such a thing, from the Rafale to the Typhoon to all the US-made radars. So need to look into that a bit more although there was something that suggested the EAF asked KnAAPO to replace the IRBIS-E to the same AESA radar going in the Su-57. Need to look into that a little more unless @The SC has the info on that.
The hybrid PESA/AESA radar is in the sense that they have added those AESA radars on the wings _if you remember them_ and combined them with the PESA on the SU-35S..which has also some AI components added from the SU-57..

Su-35’s Triple Radars Provide Maximum Situational Awareness Against Stealth

https://militarywatchmagazine.com/article/su35-triple-radars-detect-stealth

An interesting read about the SU-57..

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/as-...ounces-that-will-test-upgraded-felon-in-2022/

Last edited:
So need to look into that a bit more although there was something that suggested the EAF asked KnAAPO to replace the IRBIS-E to the same AESA radar going in the Su-57. Need to look into that a little more unless @The SC has the info on that.
Nov 25th, 2020

" The industry source told defenseworld.net that the upgraded Su-35 could be benchmarked against the United States’ F-15EX as a heavy fighter jet capable of carrying much heavier ordnance load than the Su-57 in less-defended battle-spaces. “For this, a more powerful engine and active phased array radar is a must,” he said.

Russia has invested a lot in the radar and the new engine (also called Article 30 engine) of the Su-57 and may want to exploit them in other aircraft as well to achieve economies of scale. Currently, an upgrade to Su-35 will fit this bill, he said.

The Su-57’s N036 Byelka radar system with five AESA arrays, 3 X-band and 2 L-band is an interesting concept. The antennae are mounted in the nose and sides of the fuselage besides the wings to give the aircraft a 360 degrees coverage. The N036 will be the first AESA radar mounted on a Russian fighter. The Su-35 could use a modified version of the same radar to achieve superior detecting and tracking ability as compared to the current IRBIS-E radar."

https://www.defenseworld.net/2020/1...n-af-completed-upgraded-version-on-anvil.html

N036 Byelka

The radar is a part of Sh121 multifunctional integrated radio electronic system (MIRES) onboard the Su-57. The N036 radar system is developed by Tikhomirov NIIP Institute and consists of a main nose-mounted X-band AESA radar with 1,514 T/R modules, designated the N036-1-01, and two smaller X-band AESA radars with 404 T/R modules mounted on the sides of the forward fuselage designated N036B-1-01. The suite also has two N036L-1-01 L-band arrays on the wing's leading edge extensions that are not only used for friend-or-foe identification but also for electronic warfare purposes. Computer processing of the X- and L-band signals enable the systems information to be significantly enhanced. It has the ability to track 60 targets and shoot 16 targets in the air simultaneously, or engage up to four targets on land at the same time. The L402 "Himalayas" electronic countermeasures (ECM) suite made by the KNIRTI institute uses both its own arrays and that of the N036 radar.

N036 Byelka
1654283751302.png

N036B
1654284075820.png

N036L
1654284127171.png

1654284998010.png

Last edited:

:lol: The 24 Eurofighters are back in the news again! This might be the reason for not pursuing the UAE's Mirage 2Ks. I said this 3 years ago when these 24 Typhoons were part of the Italian mega deal with the Bergamini FREMMs, that with the Rafales, the only way it would make sense to add another euro-canard to the team would be to replace the ancient Mirage 2Ks with these new, state of the art killer birds. Then those 2 new squadrons and their excellent weapons can take over the Mirage 2Ks special air force duties.

A video presented by Al-Sahat Al-Military channel talks about the Egyptian army, where it deals with the Egyptian-Saudi joint training, Faisal 12, and the expected confrontation between the MiG-29 fighters of the Egyptian Air Force and the F-15SA fighters of the Royal Saudi Air Force, and who is the victor in this air clash

:lol: The 24 Eurofighters are back in the news again! This might be the reason for not pursuing the UAE's Mirage 2Ks. I said this 3 years ago when these 24 Typhoons were part of the Italian mega deal with the Bergamini FREMMs, that with the Rafales, the only way it would make sense to add another euro-canard to the team would be to replace the ancient Mirage 2Ks with these new, state of the art killer birds. Then those 2 new squadrons and their excellent weapons can take over the Mirage 2Ks special air force duties.
But this time around with Germany

A bold tactic.. Egypt puts the makers of terrorism in trouble and shock. You may not imagine what it did..

Back
Top Bottom