What's new

Economic Development in Azerbaijan

Yes he is the richest man not only in the Arab world but in the ME as a whole and numbered as the 31 world richest man by Forbes.

His company is focused on:

• Finance Services & Investments
  • Real Estate
  • Hotels
  • Aviation
  • Petrochemicals
  • Media and Publishing
  • Entertainment
  • Private Equity & International Investments
  • Health Care
  • Education
  • Consumer and Retail
  • Agriculture
  • Social Media and Technology
KHC is the largest foreign investor in the US and one of the largest investors in the Middle East region on aside note.

for more info go here.

Investments | Kingdom Holding Company

Global Investment Map of the kingdom holding company.

rRw2Hr.png

Kingdom Holding Company

He is also the owner of the world upcoming tallest tower that is currently under construction.

That's him in his $500 million a380 plane.

prince-plane2.jpg

Prince-Alwaleed-bin-Talal-20.jpg

bin-tala-boeing-747.png

his fly attendance

427784_443437549041725_1681635000_n1.jpg
nice plane :D

@rmi5

This article below might catch your interest.

Why Azerbaijani-Saudi Relations are Improving

by SUZANNE ROTHMAN on 5/26/2014

Since gaining its independence from the Soviet Union in 1990, Azerbaijan focused its foreign policy efforts on balancing relations between the major powers in the region and building strong ties to Europe. Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia fine-tuned its foreign policy to bolster its long-standing alliance with the United States and to cement its influence in the Middle East. As a result, relations between Baku and Riyadh remained in somewhat a dormant state. Until recently that is.

The past six months have seen an increase in the level of cooperation between Azerbaijan and Saudi Arabia. In light of their mutual lack of interest, the question beckons to be- asked: why try now?

The answer may be correlated to Iran’s efforts of rapprochement with the West.

Saudi Arabia was one of the first countries to recognize Azerbaijan’s independence, and was one of the nations to aid Azerbaijan in the wake of the war with Armenia. Thus, the two enjoyed amicable relations, but were never particularly close. Since Riyadh’s declaration that Azerbaijan is its “main partner in the region,” in 2012 the tide began to change. Azerbaijan is playing and will continue to play an important role in the international arena in the future. It is a bridge between the East and the West, Saudi Arabia’s deputy foreign minister, Prince Khaled Bin Saud Bin Khaled told Trend in June 2012.

In December 2013 the head of SAGIA (Saudi Arabian General Investment Authority), Abdullatif al-Othman, visited Baku and concluded an agreement to invest in Azerbaijan’s petrochemical and refining sectors with the Azeri government. The two governments signed a total of twelve economic agreements and put ten more in the works. In addition to bolstering their economic collaboration, Riyadh and Baku resolved to upgrade their relationship in the spheres of culture and education.

Economic cooperation between two OIC members who share an Islamic heritage is not all too surprising and can be viewed as financial pragmatism. However, in addition to the sudden increase in trade and investment, the Saudis and Azerbaijanis began to cooperate on security issues. In April 2014 the General Director of Border Guard of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia visited Azerbaijan to discuss border security agreements.

Additionally, in late 2013 the two governments reached an extradition agreement as part of a security protocol, which also called for a joint fight against crime and terrorism.

Azerbaijan and the KSA’s recent upgrade of bilateral relations can be seen as a Saudi effort to diminish Iran’s influence in the region and the Muslim world at large.

The Saudis and Iranians have long been regional rivals, with both vying for hegemony. Until now, the Saudi government enjoyed the full support of the United States against the Islamic Republic, but with the election of Rouhani and resumption of talks between Iran and the West the political situation changed. More than ever now, the Saudis view Iran as a threat and are concerned that the US’s support is waning.

Disaffected by the U.S.’s recent overtures to the Islamic Republic, Riyadh’s likely response to seek new alliances to strengthen its security and augment its clout in the region. Azerbaijan is a particularly attractive ally because it is already a sometimes rival of Iran. Certainly, Azerbaijan’s quarrels with Tehran are not at all like the bitter enmity between the Ayatollahs and the al-Saud family. Still, the existence of distrust between Azerbaijan and its neighbor to the south provide an opening for a Saudi alliance. Baku also stands to gain, as Saudi money will flow into its growing economy and strengthen it. Politically, having a wealthy and powerful ally like the KSA will help Azerbaijan attain a more balanced foreign policy vis-à-vis Iran and Russia and not rely on Turkey as its sole true ally.

There are, however, drawbacks. Azerbaijan has demonstrated that its reluctance to defy Iran by supporting its adversaries. When the media reported that Azerbaijan might allow Israel to launch an attack against Iran’s nuclear facilities from its bases, for instance, the Azerbaijani government swiftly denied the claims and proclaimed it would never allow its territory to be used by a foreign country to attack the Islamic Republic.

Furthermore, the Saudi government uses soft power by exporting its religious ideology to other countries, including Azerbaijan. In fact, some 200 Azerbaijanis are known to be fighting in Syria, many alongside Sunni forces that are buttressed by the Saudis. The staunchly secular Aliyev government has been constantly resisting such influences, which they perceive as a threat. And the government has banned its nationals from fighting in Syria.

In sum, the latest developments in Azerbaijani-Saudi relations, while not dramatic, should be understood in the context of the geopolitical situation. With Iran currying favor with the West while still maintaining its nuclear program, Riyadh’s overtures towards Baku are likely part of its strategy to strengthen its clout in the region and contain Iran’s influence.

Originally posted on: Why Azerbaijani-Saudi relations are improving - Trend.Az

Azerbaijan, Middle East, International Relations — Registan.net

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that there is a big potential when it comes to Arab and Azerbaijani cooperation.
The later is a huge nearby market that is only going to grow for each year at a relatively high rate while Azerbaijan is also largely a success story and has a strategic position while at the same time both parties have improvements to make which might as well be done in cooperation rather than from a distance.

From what I can understand and know about then Azerbaijan is a stable state that started from scratch back in 1990 and now have achieved a lot of positives. I think it is only natural that Azerbaijan, aside from having close ties to Turkey, neighboring Russia (can't look past them for obvious reasons) and the West will look towards the nearby Arab world too or at least in a more increasing manner.

Also regardless of the Arab-Iranian rivalry then I believe that closer ties with Azerbaijan is a win-win situation for both parties as there is little to lose but quite a lot to gain. I don't see this as a short-term cooperation.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the article ;)
I believe that there are many common concerns and also economic potentials for boosting the cooperation. Azerbaijan has a fast growing economy that its GDP is predicted to be doubled in less than a decade. Oil and gas resources and also a strong army(compared to neighbors except for Russia), and political stability are insuring a stable investment for every investor country, which it can be interesting for Arab investors. In addition, we share the same friends, and the same enemies. About the drawbacks mentioned in the article, Azerbaijan government would definitely not favor or support Iran although Azerbaijani politicians are not used to publicly show enmity against any country, except for Armenia. About religious influence by Saudis, Azerbaijanis have the most secular muslim society as multiple statistics and polling have shown it, and even the shia mullahs have not been able to have an iota of religious influence rather to their 2 decades of trying to influence Azerbaijan from religious point of view. In addition, I think that different arab investors have different opinions, and I doubt a person like prince Alwaleed cares much about exporting religious beliefs to other countries. In sum, I think that having the same friends/enemies, and tons of economic potentials for boosting ties will make KSA and Azerbaijan much closer to each other in near future.

@rmi5

This article below might catch your interest.

Why Azerbaijani-Saudi Relations are Improving

by SUZANNE ROTHMAN on 5/26/2014

Since gaining its independence from the Soviet Union in 1990, Azerbaijan focused its foreign policy efforts on balancing relations between the major powers in the region and building strong ties to Europe. Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia fine-tuned its foreign policy to bolster its long-standing alliance with the United States and to cement its influence in the Middle East. As a result, relations between Baku and Riyadh remained in somewhat a dormant state. Until recently that is.

The past six months have seen an increase in the level of cooperation between Azerbaijan and Saudi Arabia. In light of their mutual lack of interest, the question beckons to be- asked: why try now?

The answer may be correlated to Iran’s efforts of rapprochement with the West.

Saudi Arabia was one of the first countries to recognize Azerbaijan’s independence, and was one of the nations to aid Azerbaijan in the wake of the war with Armenia. Thus, the two enjoyed amicable relations, but were never particularly close. Since Riyadh’s declaration that Azerbaijan is its “main partner in the region,” in 2012 the tide began to change. Azerbaijan is playing and will continue to play an important role in the international arena in the future. It is a bridge between the East and the West, Saudi Arabia’s deputy foreign minister, Prince Khaled Bin Saud Bin Khaled told Trend in June 2012.

In December 2013 the head of SAGIA (Saudi Arabian General Investment Authority), Abdullatif al-Othman, visited Baku and concluded an agreement to invest in Azerbaijan’s petrochemical and refining sectors with the Azeri government. The two governments signed a total of twelve economic agreements and put ten more in the works. In addition to bolstering their economic collaboration, Riyadh and Baku resolved to upgrade their relationship in the spheres of culture and education.

Economic cooperation between two OIC members who share an Islamic heritage is not all too surprising and can be viewed as financial pragmatism. However, in addition to the sudden increase in trade and investment, the Saudis and Azerbaijanis began to cooperate on security issues. In April 2014 the General Director of Border Guard of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia visited Azerbaijan to discuss border security agreements.

Additionally, in late 2013 the two governments reached an extradition agreement as part of a security protocol, which also called for a joint fight against crime and terrorism.

Azerbaijan and the KSA’s recent upgrade of bilateral relations can be seen as a Saudi effort to diminish Iran’s influence in the region and the Muslim world at large.

The Saudis and Iranians have long been regional rivals, with both vying for hegemony. Until now, the Saudi government enjoyed the full support of the United States against the Islamic Republic, but with the election of Rouhani and resumption of talks between Iran and the West the political situation changed. More than ever now, the Saudis view Iran as a threat and are concerned that the US’s support is waning.

Disaffected by the U.S.’s recent overtures to the Islamic Republic, Riyadh’s likely response to seek new alliances to strengthen its security and augment its clout in the region. Azerbaijan is a particularly attractive ally because it is already a sometimes rival of Iran. Certainly, Azerbaijan’s quarrels with Tehran are not at all like the bitter enmity between the Ayatollahs and the al-Saud family. Still, the existence of distrust between Azerbaijan and its neighbor to the south provide an opening for a Saudi alliance. Baku also stands to gain, as Saudi money will flow into its growing economy and strengthen it. Politically, having a wealthy and powerful ally like the KSA will help Azerbaijan attain a more balanced foreign policy vis-à-vis Iran and Russia and not rely on Turkey as its sole true ally.

There are, however, drawbacks. Azerbaijan has demonstrated that its reluctance to defy Iran by supporting its adversaries. When the media reported that Azerbaijan might allow Israel to launch an attack against Iran’s nuclear facilities from its bases, for instance, the Azerbaijani government swiftly denied the claims and proclaimed it would never allow its territory to be used by a foreign country to attack the Islamic Republic.

Furthermore, the Saudi government uses soft power by exporting its religious ideology to other countries, including Azerbaijan. In fact, some 200 Azerbaijanis are known to be fighting in Syria, many alongside Sunni forces that are buttressed by the Saudis. The staunchly secular Aliyev government has been constantly resisting such influences, which they perceive as a threat. And the government has banned its nationals from fighting in Syria.

In sum, the latest developments in Azerbaijani-Saudi relations, while not dramatic, should be understood in the context of the geopolitical situation. With Iran currying favor with the West while still maintaining its nuclear program, Riyadh’s overtures towards Baku are likely part of its strategy to strengthen its clout in the region and contain Iran’s influence.

Originally posted on: Why Azerbaijani-Saudi relations are improving - Trend.Az

Azerbaijan, Middle East, International Relations — Registan.net

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that there is a big potential when it comes to Arab and Azerbaijani cooperation.
The later is a huge nearby market that is only going to grow for each year at a relatively high rate while Azerbaijan is also largely a success story and has a strategic position while at the same time both parties have improvements to make which might as well be done in cooperation rather than from a distance.

From what I can understand and know about then Azerbaijan is a stable state that started from scratch back in 1990 and now have achieved a lot of positives. I think it is only natural that Azerbaijan, aside from having close ties to Turkey, neighboring Russia (can't look past them for obvious reasons) and the West will look towards the nearby Arab world too or at least in a more increasing manner.

Also regardless of the Arab-Iranian rivalry then I believe that closer ties with Azerbaijan is a win-win situation for both parties as there is little to lose but quite a lot to gain. I don't see this as a short-term cooperation.

Thanks for sharing the article ;)
I believe that there are many common concerns and also economic potentials for boosting the cooperation. Azerbaijan has a fast growing economy that its GDP is predicted to be doubled in less than a decade. Oil and gas resources and also a strong army(compared to neighbors except for Russia), and political stability are insuring a stable investment for every investor country, which it can be interesting for Arab investors. In addition, we share the same friends, and the same enemies. About the drawbacks mentioned in the article, Azerbaijan government would definitely not favor or support Iran although Azerbaijani politicians are not used to publicly show enmity against any country, except for Armenia. About religious influence by Saudis, Azerbaijanis have the most secular muslim society as multiple statistics and polling have shown it, and even the shia mullahs have not been able to have an iota of religious influence rather to their 2 decades of trying to influence Azerbaijan from religious point of view. In addition, I think that different arab investors have different opinions, and I doubt a person like prince Alwaleed cares much about exporting religious beliefs to other countries. In sum, I think that having the same friends/enemies, and tons of economic potentials for boosting ties will make KSA and Azerbaijan much closer to each other in near future.

You are very welcome.;)

I agree with you fully. Unfortunately nearby Arab countries such as Iraq and Syria (potentially success stories) are in trouble right now and the remaining Arab world is located too far away from Azerbaijan and have different priorities right now. This leaves the GCC which is located fairly close to Azerbaijan. At least the same region and sphere as I consider Caucasus as being closer to the ME than Europe obviously in terms of almost everything other than their secular approach and other influences from the Soviet Union. The GCC is also the economically strongest part of the ME together with Turkey and very stable as well overall. So there is no doubt potential here for both parties.

I honestly think that the article is wrong about the supposed negative religious influence and is overestimating it for the sake of it. A lot has changed in recent times and the wishes of the religious clergy are no longer accepted as before. The Saudi Arabian government (rulers) are against this kind of support. Most of the support that KSA is doing religiously is in terms of the establishment of mosques, support to national Muslim organization and centers etc. Moreover after what ISIS and other so-called "Islamic" groups have done and are doing in the region people are not receptive for it aside from that tiny minority of retards that exist in every society out there. I can tell you that the situation in the GCC Is that of tiredness of using Islam politically. People do not want this at all.

Arab private investors (there are a lot of them) do not care about that the slightest. The day the Arab world and Israel get their act together you will see Arab investors in Israel the next day and vice versa. I have no doubt about this at all. Look at Arab investments across the world - especially in the "evil" West. So rest assured that he does not care about this. In fact he is against the whole situation in the region. But of course as a member of a ruling family he is also against any instability as his family might lose power but I can also tell you that most locals have no interest in embarking upon a "Syrian project" just for the sake of change and believe it or not then the House of Saud are quite potent rulers compared to the ME/Muslim standard.

I assume that the same is the case with Aliyev in Azerbaijan.

Areva offers to build research reactor in Azerbaijan

Areva has presented Azerbaijan government officials with its proposals to construct a nuclear research reactor in the Central Asian country.

Ali Abbasov, Azerbaijan's communications and technology minister, met a delegation of experts from the French company on 3 September. The reactor could "transform Azerbaijan into a regional centre" for nuclear research, Abbasov said, according to a ministry statement.

French President Francois Hollande's visit to Azerbaijan in May has contributed to the "expansion of relations" between the two countries, the ministry said. During an Azerbaijan-French business forum held in Baku, the French president had emphasized opportunities in the field of nuclear energy and renewable energy, it said.

The ministry established a National Nuclear Research Center in May, according to a decree by Azerbaijan President Ilham Aliyev. The centre will use nuclear technologies for peaceful purposes, the ministry said. The head of the French delegation and Areva's director for nuclear energy in the countries of Central Asia, Abbas Jafari Jalali, stressed at the meeting on 3 September the importance of organizing training for staff at the centre.

Abbasov also said the country had already begun cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency and the European Centre for Nuclear Research.

The two sides agreed "to accelerate work to expand [their] cooperation", the ministry said.

Areva offers to build research reactor in Azerbaijan

Silk Way Airlines celebrate delivery of two Boeing 747-8 freighters

Fleet expansion strengthens Azerbaijan-based airline and Baku's position as trade hub.

Everett, Washington – Boeing and Silk Way Airlines have celebrated the delivery of the airline's two 747-8 freighters, which will bring new levels of efficiency to the Baku, Azerbaijan-based cargo carrier.

"We strive to be a successful and profitable cargo operator by investing in our fleet and our services, and by continuing to increase our regional and international footprint," said Zaur Akhundov, president, SW Holding, parent company of Silk Way Airlines. "The delivery of our new 747-8 freighters is a sound step forward in that direction."

Silk Way Airlines, one of the leading cargo carriers in the region, provides services to Europe, the United Kingdom, and Middle East, as well as the Far East including South Korea, China, and Hong Kong. In addition, the carrier also serves international destinations through a network of alliances, operating 747-400 and 767-300 freighter aircraft.

"We are very proud of our continued partnership with Silk Way Airlines and today we have double the reasons to celebrate," said Marty Bentrott, vice president of Sales, Middle East, Russia, and Central Asia, Boeing Commercial Airplanes.

The new 747-8 freighter is optimized to provide greater revenue cargo-carrying capability than the 747-400, offering 16% more cargo volume while keeping its iconic nose door. With more than 340,000 hours in service, the 747-8 freighters are achieving performance milestones with customers. To date, Boeing has delivered 49 747-8 freighters.

Q61GAzT.png

Silk Way Airlines celebrate delivery of two Boeing - AMD – Aerospace Manufacturing and Design

Turkish minister about Turkish section of Baku-Tbilisi-Kars

Lutfi Elvan: "If all goes according to the plan, all the work on our part will be fully completed in 3-5 months".
"There are no problems in the construction of the Turkish section of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars", the Minister of Transport, Communication and Navigation of Turkey Lutfi Elvan told APA.

He noted that most of the work on the Turkish section of the project is implemented. "Currently, the lighting and communication systems are set in the tunnels. If all goes according to the plan, all the work on our part will be fully completed in 3-5 months. We hope to accelerate the work on the Georgian section. Nothing concrete can be said about the implementation of test rides at the end of this year, but we did most of the work depending on us."

Answering the question whether there are financial difficulties in the implementation of the project, the minister said that there is no problem on the Turkish side. Despite the fact that the first test rides on the railway Baku-Tbilisi-Kars were scheduled for late 2013, but natural conditions in Georgia prevented the timely implementation of the plan. Countries participating in the project said that the test rides by rail will be launched in late 2014.

News.Az

AZAL holds special campaign on Baku-New York-Baku route

133132.jpg

AZAL holds special campaign on Baku-New York-Baku route.
Azerbaijan Airlines (AZAL) holds special campaign on Baku-New York-Baku route.

The price of ticket on Baku-New York-Baku makes €599, on New York-Baku-New York - €799.

The flight and sale dates are valid from September 15 to March 28.

News.Az

--------------------------------
The ticket price is really good!!!
The one way ticket usually costs about 900-1000$+ depending on the season. Except for Aeroflut, who their airplanes sucks.
@Azeri440 Do you know what types of airplanes AZAL have?

you can find info about planes on wikipedia
they will be using Airbus A340 for flights to US until Dreamliners arrive
as there was a delay , we were supposed to receive them in 2014 but now in 2015

jDyaqng.jpg

Baku will be one of the cities to host Euro-2020

Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan, was one of the cities awarded a quarterfinal match and three group games, along with Munich, Rome and St. Petersburg. Three group games, plus a second round match, were awarded to Dublin, Copenhagen, Bucharest, Amsterdam, Bilbao, Budapest, Brussels and Glasgow.

46c785023cb53cab1f0f0c4689cb3fa5.jpg

Baku will be one of the cities to host Euro-2020

Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan, was one of the cities awarded a quarterfinal match and three group games, along with Munich, Rome and St. Petersburg. Three group games, plus a second round match, were awarded to Dublin, Copenhagen, Bucharest, Amsterdam, Bilbao, Budapest, Brussels and Glasgow.

View attachment 68626
Wow, That's awesome :)
It has been a really tough competition. Cities like Stockholm are removed, and cities like Amsterdam will only host the group stage, that's an awesome achievement :tup:
We are proud on you guys :tup:

UEFA Euro 2020 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The 13 venues were selected and announced on 19 September 2014:[18]

Next Step, applying for world cup and olympics host nation :)

Wow, That's awesome :)
It has been a really tough competition. Cities like Stockholm are removed, and cities like Amsterdam will only host the group stage, that's an awesome achievement :tup:
We are proud on you guys :tup:

UEFA Euro 2020 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The 13 venues were selected and announced on 19 September 2014:[18]

Next Step, applying for world cup and olympics host nation :)

before the option for 13 cities to host was chosen
Azerbaijan was planning a bid with Turkey , before it was Georgia but because we would have to pay for pretty much everything to be built there Azerbaijan refused to bid with Georgia

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom