What's new

Does the PA need more troops to fight terror?

GEO Pakistan
Army committed to root out terrorism with national support: Kayani
Updated at: 1616 PST, Friday, April 24, 2009

RAWALPINDI: The Chief of Army Staff (COAS), General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani chaired an operational meeting at the General Headquarters here on Friday.

While addressing the participants, Kayani stated that he was aware of the doubts being voiced about the intent as well as the capability of the Army to defeat the militancy in the country. He made it clear that Pakistan Army never has and never will hesitate to sacrifice, whatever it may take, to ensure safety and wellbeing of people of Pakistan and country’s territorial integrity.

The COAS stated that operational pause, meant to give the reconciliatory forces a chance, must not be taken for a concession to the militants. He declared that Army’s rank and file has resolve to fight to eliminate the militants, who endanger the lives of peaceful citizens of the country and challenge the writ of the State. He reassured the people of Pakistan that with their support, Army is determined to root out the menace of terrorism from the society. It will not allow the militants to dictate terms to the government or impose their way of life on the civil society of Pakistan.

He condemned pronouncements by outside powers raising doubts on the future of Pakistan. A country of 170 M resilient people under a democratic dispensation, strongly supported by the Army, is capable of handling any crisis that it may confront. He stated that the victory against the terror and militancy would be achieved at all cost.:azn::cheers:

GEO World
Gates urges Pakistan to act against militants
Updated at: 2225 PST, Thursday, April 23, 2009

CAMP LEJEUNE: U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates urged the leaders of Pakistan to act against the spread of Taliban militancy, saying failure to confront the threat could affect U.S.-Pakistani relations.
In a visit on Thursday to a military installation where Marines are preparing for deployment to Afghanistan, Gates said some Pakistani leaders recognize the "existential threat" facing the country's democratic government from the Taliban.

"But it is important that they not only recognize it but take appropriate actions to deal with it," he told reporters at an outdoor briefing, as small-arms fire from a nearby training range crackled in the distance.

The Taliban's growing influence in northern Pakistan and the loss of ground of the Pakistani government has raised concerns about the stability of the nuclear-armed nation.

"The stability and longevity of democratic government in Pakistan is central to the efforts of the coalition in Afghanistan and it is also central to our future partnership with the government in Islamabad," Gates added.

"We want to support them. We want to help them in any way we can. But it is important that they recognize the real threats to their country."

GEO Pakistan
Army committed to root out terrorism with national support: Kayani
Updated at: 1616 PST, Friday, April 24, 2009

RAWALPINDI: The Chief of Army Staff (COAS), General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani chaired an operational meeting at the General Headquarters here on Friday.

While addressing the participants, Kayani stated that he was aware of the doubts being voiced about the intent as well as the capability of the Army to defeat the militancy in the country. He made it clear that Pakistan Army never has and never will hesitate to sacrifice, whatever it may take, to ensure safety and wellbeing of people of Pakistan and country’s territorial integrity.

The COAS stated that operational pause, meant to give the reconciliatory forces a chance, must not be taken for a concession to the militants. He declared that Army’s rank and file has resolve to fight to eliminate the militants, who endanger the lives of peaceful citizens of the country and challenge the writ of the State. He reassured the people of Pakistan that with their support, Army is determined to root out the menace of terrorism from the society. It will not allow the militants to dictate terms to the government or impose their way of life on the civil society of Pakistan.

He condemned pronouncements by outside powers raising doubts on the future of Pakistan. A country of 170 M resilient people under a democratic dispensation, strongly supported by the Army, is capable of handling any crisis that it may confront. He stated that the victory against the terror and militancy would be achieved at all cost.:azn::cheers:

hun araam aye...:coffee:

hun araam aye...:coffee:

enigma947; dear sir,

GEO World
Gates urges Pakistan to act against militants
Updated at: 2225 PST, Thursday, April 23, 2009

let me , say that just a statment cant resolve all the extermizm , pakistan needs more thn that, not more statments , a composite plan to root out extermizm from pakistan.:azn:
a stratigical decicion , to include & increase numbers of CI-OPS special troops, with specialy equiped & specialy trainned back ground of those troopsis very much needed here!:agree:

some how , dear FATMAN already , agreed with me basicly! but he sugessted in the longer term.
i guss, PAKARMY will remain under preasure , till west & US cant see or feel that ,PAKARMY is doing someting special to counter talibans, i think , its about time that ,PAKARMY should establish a new command & a new force to counter, the taliban threat.:agree:
a new command with a new force , will surlly adress the concern & will cure the sickness called EXTERMIZM in our tribal areas , with growing fear in the west , i am affraid that , ALLIED will going to take things in thier own hands , & PAKARMY & GOP will be in hot waters once agian ,as we are looking them on the issue of DRONES?:lol::tsk:
So it would be better to strat , working on a NEW ELITE REACTION FORCE , before things starts worsing for all of us?& if not we had to this!:azn::tsk:

GEO Pakistan
FM briefs foreign envoys counter-terrorism efforts
Updated at: 2059 PST, Friday, April 24, 2009

ISLAMABAD: Foreign Minister Makhdoom Shah Mahmood Qureshi on Friday separately received Special Representative of France and Britain for Afghanistan and Pakistan and briefed them on the government's counter-terrorism efforts.

The overall regional situation also came under discussion with Pierre Lellouche of France and Sir Sherard Cowper-Coles of Britain.

OR THIS?[/B]

GEO Pakistan
Nuclear assets in safe hands: PM
Updated at: 2049 PST, Friday, April 24, 2009

SIALKOT: Prime Minister Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani has said that nuclear assets of the country are in safe hands and there is no threat to them.

Addressing a public meeting, at Chak Kubay in district Sialkot, he said, “Pakistan is a strong country with politically mature leadership and invincible defence and nobody can cast an evil eye on it.”

BUT THEY ARE NOT IMMPRESSED!

GEO World
U.S. worried about Taliban move on Islamabad: Mullen
Updated at: 1803 PST, Friday, April 24, 2009

WASHINGTON: The chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Mike Mullen says he is “extremely concerned'' about indications the Taliban is moving ever closer to Islamabad.

Discussing the situation in an interview with US TV, Mullen said he believes “we're certainly moving closer to the tipping point'' where Pakistan could be overtaken by extremists.

Mullen said from Afghanistan he thinks that “events continue to move in the wrong direction'' in both Pakistan and Afghanistan. And he said he hopes the arrival soon of an additional 17,000 American combat troops will stabilize things.

Mullen said, “We're going as fast as we can go right now and we want to get it right.'' But he also said the Afghan people “have to take over security for their nation. That's the only way we're going to be successful."

plz, use officers language on the thread , thats what people hope from our mens in uniform.
thanks for posting.

Last edited:
This may be of interest to you Batty,

Learn from Swat and unite against Taliban, says Sherry

* Former information minister stresses need to form special anti-terror force

Staff Report

ISLAMABAD: Sherry Rehman, former information minister, said on Friday that time had come for all stakeholders to learn lessons from Swat and stop forward march of Taliban.

“There is little point now in criticising ANP for allowing it to happen. The need of the hour is to move forward with an urgency and clarity of purpose that will reverse the gains that the militants have made so far. For that, all parties should now eschew ambiguity on their policy on terrorism, cooperate with the government, focus on a united position, and seek to secure the area while trying to cause the least amount of collateral damage. The plan should envisage a post-Taliban administrative mechanism which is able to hold on to executive power to enforce peace,” she told a private TV channel, according to a press statement.

Rehman said a plan for formation of a special national counter-terrorism force was needed to keep peace patrols in troubled areas until capacity of local law enforcers was restored.

“An elite counterinsurgency force, equipped and trained to patrol and consolidate peace in our conflict zones, must be considered for such growing contingencies so that displaced people return to their homes and children go to schools in safety,” she said.

She pointed out that TNSM had exposed its intentions in violations of the fundamental freedoms guaranteed in the constitution as well as its contempt for Pakistan’s justice system and courts. “Any proponents for this kind of arrangement now should step back and chart another course,” she said.

On American statements, Rehman said if Pakistan was an ally, it must be treated as such, not as a target. “We need assistance, not coercive diplomacy,” he said.

Rehman said the PM and the president had initiated action to counter militancy. “The army is on the move and committed to flushing out militias from Buner and surrounding areas. Use of force must remain a monopoly of the state, and all groups must abide by state laws if they want to live in Pakistan. The people of Pakistan elected a progressive government. They are entitled to its protection and they will endorse all such actions that retain the flag of mainstream Pakistan, enshrining Quaid-e-Azam's values and Benazir Bhutto's manifesto,” she said.

Source: Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Looks like you have at least one supporter in politics :lol:

Back to the original question, I'm for now opposed to the raising forth of more elite units.

I believe your country have these units now. fatman17 has indicated that a new F.C. directed counter-terror unit has been raised with very good results early on.

My belief, though, is that regular army forces are entirely adequate to the mission requirements if they are trained to the prevailing operational conditions.

My nat'l guard brigade is going to Iraq. These are well-trained troops, many of whom deployed with this same brigade to Afghanistan two years earlier. They've, in the interim, continued their usual training and all their soldiers are SQT (skill qualification test) qualified for their MOS (military occupational specialties).

Still, this unit will see six weeks of section and platoon training in California, two months of company exercises in Georgia, and one month of battalion and higher collective training in Kuwait before deploying in-country.

This instruction is comprised of trained and qualified soldiers and done simply to stay trained and qualified. Do they need more than this to perform their jobs? I wonder?

Less focus on elitism and a greater focus on elevating individual soldier skills and small-unit leadership and planning is really the key. It's a platoon leader and company commander's war. Battalion on up is rarely directly in the fight.

A few thoughts.

Ok if some one perhaps having a Pakistani military back ground can answer why can't be the special forces being deployed in areas like SWAT with an objective to search for high value targets such as the Mullah FM and take him out and the whole operation remains covert so that no undue noises from any circle within Pakistan comes out.

Ok if some one perhaps having a Pakistani military back ground can answer why can't be the special forces being deployed in areas like SWAT with an objective to search for high value targets such as the Mullah FM and take him out and the whole operation remains covert so that no undue noises from any circle within Pakistan comes out.

IceCold; sir,

i guss, blan2 sir would be exact person to answer your question, but of my short experince with PAKARMY, I would try to answer your QUESTION

why can't be the special forces being deployed in areas like SWAT with an objective to search for high value targets such as the Mullah FM and take him out ?

i was in pakarmy,& in my week view point , i guss special forces cant be used against a hidden target,& with out having correct info about thier correct locations, its will be useless to deploy special forces with out any specific objective in hand.
i guss, intelligence should be made more accurate to find & locate people like Mullah FM & BAIT-ULLAH-MEHSUD, & then they couldbe surrounded with normal infantry units, i guss only !thn it will be very perfect mission for our special forces, till that situation! it wouldbe unsuitable to send special forces in the dark, with nowhere to go?:azn:

Last edited:

Be careful
What ever the outcome of such an op the US will either get the credit or blame..
You may want them to take the blame if it goes down the drain, but I doubt you want them taking the credit.
:D

Be careful
What ever the outcome of such an op the US will either get the credit or blame..
You may want them to take the blame if it goes down the drain, but I doubt you want them taking the credit.
:D

Can you be a bit more specific? I was talking about the PA special unit such as the SSG.

IceCold; sir,

i guss, blan2 sir would be exact person to answer your question, but of my short experince with PAKARMY, I would try to answer your QUESTION

why can't be the special forces being deployed in areas like SWAT with an objective to search for high value targets such as the Mullah FM and take him out ?

i was in pakarmy,& in my week view point , i guss special forces cant be used against a hidden target,& with out having correct info about thier correct locations, its will be useless to deploy special forces with out any specific objective in hand.
i guss, intelligence should be made more accurate to find & locate people like Mullah FM & BAIT-ULLAH-MEHSUD, & then they couldbe surrounded with normal infantry units, i guss only !thn it will be very perfect mission for our special forces, till that situation! it wouldbe unsuitable to send special forces in the dark, with nowhere to go?:azn:

Thanks Batmannow:tup:. I never realized you belong to the PA. On a personal note are you still in the armed forces or have retired. Moreover if anyone deserves to be called sir its you.:toast_sign:

Regards

IceCold

Thanks Batmannow:tup:. I never realized you belong to the PA. On a personal note are you still in the armed forces or have retired. Moreover if anyone deserves to be called sir its you.:toast_sign:

Regards

IceCold

IceCold, dear sir,
i have been terminated from the PAKARMY on the grounds of naughtyness, & dangerously self-centerdness!& some what crazyness!;):D
i never wanted to open it, because i thought that if PAKARMY kicked me out , thn i am just a fool from KAKOOL? & I am not the right person to represent PAKARMY on this , fourm .
but, still i love my PAKARMY more thn my life!:tup::pakistan::smitten:
no, its pakarmy's teachings that , one should respect others to be respected!
you deserved it!:agree:

Last edited:
IceCold, dear sir,
i have been terminated from the PAKARMY on the grounds of naughtyness, & dangerourly self-centerdness!& some what crazyness!;):D
but, still i love my PAKARMY more thn my life!:tup::pakistan::smitten:
no, its pakarmy's teachings that , one should respect others to be respected!
you deserved it!:agree:

Sir,

We need new leadership in that army if you were terminated for being a bad A$$ while they sit around drinking chai as the Taliban plan against Islamabad.

Back
Top Bottom