What's new

Does the PA need more troops to fight terror?

hounrable,Kharian_Beast; sir
i guss, no !
sir, USA having best of its army units & best of equipments with best of their capabilities in afghanistan, still boosting its troops, numbers why?

yes , i surly support the idea to expand the capabilities IFV's, better small arms and a level of training of FC, but its not enough because the location of the area of FATA & AFGHANISTAN are not just a simple battle field, so therefore after a lot of consideration , US is putting more troops.

i guss , its about time that we, should follow the same but with a permnent force under the command of PAKARMY, & for ever!:pakistan::tup::azn:

Thanks batmannow for the insight as I appreciate hearing your views. I would support more troops but at the same time the US is fighting a totally different kind of war where they would need a lot more boots on the ground. The US has less than 50,000 troops deployed there to hold an entire country, and the recent talks of reinforcements is around 12,000 - 17,000 at maximum so nothing huge. In my books, better trained and better equipped troops means a lot more then sheer numbers. Yes they are being backed by around 50,000 NA and a further 50,000 NATO and ISAF but FC can be backed by PAF and PA at any given time.

Turkey hopes to boost Afghan, Pakistan security ties
31 Mar 2009 14:17:38 GMT
Source: Reuters

ANKARA, March 31 (Reuters) - NATO member Turkey hopes to boost cooperation between Afghanistan and Pakistan in the fight against al Qaeda and Taliban militants when the presidents of the two countries meet in Ankara on Wednesday, officials said.

Afghanistan has accused Pakistan of not doing enough to stop militants crossing the border to carry out deadly attacks, but ties between Kabul and Islamabad have started to improve after Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari came to power last year.

Military and intelligence chiefs of Pakistan and Afghanistan will also attend the talks hosted by Turkish President Abdullah Gul with Afghan President Hamid Karzai and Zardari, Turkish officials said.

The talks were expected to focus on border security and intelligence sharing.

"The only way to improve the security situation in these countries is to get the military to cooperate and understand each other, and we believe we can help here," a Turkish diplomat, who declined to be named, told Reuters.

"Improving just civilian ties are not enough."

Officials from around the world were in The Hague on Tuesday for a U.N.-backed conference on Afghanistan in which the United States was appealing for international support to defeat militants in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Predominantly Muslim Turkey has long-standing ties with Afghanistan and Pakistan, and has hosted two high-level meetings between the two neighbours in the past.

The chief of Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence would be among those attending Wednesday's talks, a Turkish government source said.

"In the summit, ideas will be exchanged on regional security, Afghanistan-Pakistan relations and reflections of these relations in the region, and common projects aiming to contribute to stability, security and welfare of the region," the Turkish president's office said in a statement.

NATO says increased cooperation between Kabul and Islamabad has resulted in a drop of cross-border insurgent infiltration.

More than 70,000 U.S. and NATO troops are in Afghanistan battling a growing insurgency by the Taliban movement, which is also spreading its influence in Pakistan through the porous mountain border between the two countries.

U.S. President Barack Obama on Friday announced a new strategy which will combine extra troops, funds for Afghanistan and Pakistan, and a renewed focus on targeting al Qaeda militants on the Afghan/Pakistan border.

Obama was due to visit Turkey April 6-7 for bilateral talks. (Reporting by Paul de Bendern and Zerin Elci; Editing by Ibon Villelabeitia and Charles Dick)

Solidarity of brothers...

Nice concept. Also makes a lot of sense.

BUT

Trouble is one person in these pictures reminds me of a used car salesman.

I didn't know of this meeting involving Turkey, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. Fascinating that it follows so closely on the heels of Abdullah Gul's visit to Iraq last week where he held talks with both Talabani and Barzani while uttering for the first time the words,

"Kurdish Regional Administration".

From this icy depth if one remembers the history of cross-border raids by Turkey and the use of sanctuary within Kurdistan/Iraq by the PKK we've this comment-

"The only way to improve the security situation in these countries is to get the military to cooperate and understand each other, and we believe we can help here."

If so, it's because America managed to keep both Turkey and Iraq on a short leash and we've a new day along the Kurd-Turkish border for it. Not finished but a real chance.

I guess the Turks feels they've some lessons to pass on. Good. Let's hope their advice helps.

God knows that the Joint Coordination Centers along the Afghan-Pakistan border could use more "coordinating" by Afghan and Pakistani forces. Maybe we'll soon see the benefits of these discussions.

I'm glad to see Turkey involved here.:agree:

come on guys, stay on the topic plz:smokin:
all of you are the best here , & peoples on the fourm expect good from you guys!:tsk::hitwall:;)

I didn't know of this meeting involving Turkey, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. Fascinating that it follows so closely on the heels of Abdullah Gul's visit to Iraq last week where he held talks with both Talabani and Barzani while uttering for the first time the words,

"Kurdish Regional Administration".

From this icy depth if one remembers the history of cross-border raids by Turkey and the use of sanctuary within Kurdistan/Iraq by the PKK we've this comment-

"The only way to improve the security situation in these countries is to get the military to cooperate and understand each other, and we believe we can help here."

If so, it's because America managed to keep both Turkey and Iraq on a short leash and we've a new day along the Kurd-Turkish border for it. Not finished but a real chance.

I guess the Turks feels they've some lessons to pass on. Good. Let's hope their advice helps.

God knows that the Joint Coordination Centers along the Afghan-Pakistan border could use more "coordinating" by Afghan and Pakistani forces. Maybe we'll soon see the benefits of these discussions.

I'm glad to see Turkey involved here.:agree:

hi, S-2; sir!
how you see things i mean, more addition of specialy trainned troops in pakarmy for the situation in FATA & the tribal areas of pakistan!:azn::smokin:

Like this guy ?
What him, reject bureaucrat, he has not even reached the level of a used car salesman.

You have Mr 10%, we get ‘where is the camera’, or ‘Kevin747’, and your cross the western border neighbour gets the car seller.

But besides all that such close interaction between Turkey, Afghanistan and Pakistan makes sense.

The talks were expected to focus on border security and intelligence sharing.

With the experience Turkey has had with Iraq and the US with the PKK such discussions could assist in a sound military understanding especially between Pakistan and Afghanistan.
This is a big problem for both countries and needs an effective military solution.

Well to me there seems no DILUTION FACTOR in Pakistan army as musch as Taliban are concerned. You talk about increasing troops what troops anyway you are talking about !!
My opinion be that we must get the local people involved instead of creating huge economic gates to be invested by USA funding will be a very sluggish manner. The local esteem & law there is quiet enough to win against taliban thgr is no need for creating any separate elite army unit for these lunatics we just need to win local support in favour of Pakistan that be a good balaced economical & fast process in overcoming taliban
More Troops Alone Won't Help Afghanistan

Pakistan no need to increase the Numbers but quality of troops need to improve.when world news show taliban arrest 120 pak security personals our image will become like BS .worlds com men man don't know abut FC or police but its looking like pak army men arrested by taliban.we need to improve and upgrade our guys and systems need some electronics and latest equipments and hardware we have already 1 million guys its enough number to face any challenge

Pakistan no need to increase the Numbers but quality of troops need to improve.when world news show taliban arrest 120 pak security personals our image will become like BS .worlds com men man don't know abut FC or police but its looking like pak army men arrested by taliban.we need to improve and upgrade our guys and systems need some electronics and latest equipments and hardware we have already 1 million guys its enough number to face any challenge

imran khan;sir
thanks for kind views but, its not the quality that put taliban in command, its FC mens & thier relationships & thier fammilies in these areas, many of FC mans were more capable combatants but when thier fammilies were put on the edge they are lost easily.:tsk::agree:

this is the very reason , why we need a new force, with larger composition of peoples from different parts of the pakistan, so that insurgnts cant use thier relationships or thier fammilies, as a reason to black mail & can put in the surrunender to FC mens without any fight!:tsk:

US haing best of quality of mens & of weapons, still bosting its boots on the ground, WHY?:azn:

dear sir, USA & PAKISTAN are fighting same terror, & same kind of ambushes!
so , why not follow US steps?:azn:;):pakistan:

we have already 1 million guys its enough number to face any challenge
i only can say that ,where from you got these figures sir.:lol:

Last edited:
imran khan;sir
thanks for kind views but, its not the quality that put taliban in command, its FC mens & thier relationships & thier fammilies in these areas, many of FC mans were more capable combatants but when thier fammilies were put on the edge they are lost easily.:tsk::agree:

this is the very reason , why we need a new force, with larger composition of peoples from different parts of the pakistan, so that insurgnts cant use thier relationships or thier fammilies, as a reason to black mail & can put in the surrunender to FC mens without any fight!:tsk:

US haing best of quality of mens & of weapons, still bosting its boots on the ground, WHY?:azn:

dear sir, USA & PAKISTAN are fighting same terror, & same kind of ambushes!
so , why not follow US steps?:azn:;):Pakistan:
making a new five years sir thats not a good idea if FC can't done that job Pakistan regaler army is there no one black mail them .we need better intelligence and latest hardware only.

there is great edge on USA we are locals we know who to tackle them better then US and ISI IB can do 1000 times better job here then CIA.

making a new five years sir thats not a good idea if FC can't done that job Pakistan regaler army is there no one black mail them .we need better intelligence and latest hardware only.

there is great edge on USA we are locals we know who to tackle them better then US and ISI IB can do 1000 times better job here then CIA.

imran khan;sir
i really cant understand what are you trying to put here?

Pakistan regaler army is there no one black mail them .we need better intelligence and latest hardware only.
pakarmy cant be put in the action, for a long time there!
yes we need a regular force , better trainned & with good in numbers.
intell we are already have it, we need to learn more of it.

latest hardware only
yes we need it , but once again we need peoples to use them or not???:D

Greetings Gentelmen;
in my opinion, pakistan doesnt need a larger army to fight against global or regional terrorist factions.
having larger armies, buying new weapons can be a solution, but only for a short time period.
if pakistan doesnt control the madrassahs (i hope i type correct) , war against terror in pakistan wont end.
pakistan should reform its education system and form a new one. a new school type can be an important step on solving this problem.
a school giving the science and religion lessons together can be a good alternative to madrassahs. by this way we can control the manpower the terrorist factions get.
of course all this depend on economy, and such a solution may not be something acceptable by regular folks.
i guess we need to keep discussing from this point. in this situation we cant solve anything with rifles and cannons :)
best regards

Back
Top Bottom