What's new

Do India's Space Program and Mars Mission Make Sense?

Indians do agree we are poor and still long way to go , but that doesn't mean we cut spending on the other programs.Look it as investment for future rather than expenditure in current form.

Anyway if the poverty removal is so immediate for my Pakistani friend, maybe they start dismantling their nuclear infrastructure and use it for poverty removal

Now, only 22 per cent Indians below poverty line: Planning Commission
ET BureauJul 24, 2013, 04.00AM IST
View attachment 91331

NEW DELHI: The number of India's poor fell to less than a quarter of its population in 2011-12, according to a Planning Commission estimate, giving the government a reason to cheer amid the recent raft of disappointing macro economic data.

The commission said on Tuesday the number of those below the poverty line declined to 21.9% of the population in 2011-12, from 29.8% in 2009-10 and 37.2% in 2004-05.

View attachment 91331
The estimate, based on a survey of household consumer expenditure, showed rural poverty declined to 25.7% from 41.8% in 2004-05, while in urban areas it fell to 13.7% from 25.7%.

The sharp drop was attributed to the high real growth in recent years, which raised the consumption capacity.

The data showed that nearly 2 crore people were pulled out of poverty every year from 2004-05 onwards, which resulted in a sharp drop in those below the Tendulkar poverty line to 27 crore in 2011-12 from 40.7 crore in 2004-05.

The national level poverty ratio is based on Suresh Tendulkar methodology, which uses the mixed reference period after National Sample Survey Office (NSSO) tabulated expenditure of about 1.2 lakh households across the country.

The national poverty line has been fixed at Rs 816 per capita per month for rural areas and Rs 1,000 for urban areas.

"Thus, for a family of five, the all-India poverty line in terms of consumption expenditure would amount to about 4,080 per month in rural areas and 5,000 per month in urban areas," the Planning Commission said.

The government has set up a committee under C Rangarajan to review the Tendulkar methodology that has been criticised in the past for fixing poverty lines that were too low at 22.42 per person in rural areas and 28.65 in urban areas.

View attachment 91332

g-charticle(poverty).jpg

"Since the data from the NSS (National Sample Survey) 68th round (2011-12) of household consumer expenditure survey is now available, and the Rangarajan committee recommendation will only be available a year later, the Planning Commission has updated the poverty estimates for the year 2011-12 as per the methodology recommended by Tendulkar committee," the Planning Commission said in a release.

The release showed there would still be a decline in the poverty rates from 2004-05 levels even if a method other than the Tendulkar methodology was used to determine the poverty line.

Data from the survey in 2009-10 has not been used for comparison as the year was a drought year. In 2004-05, 37.2% of the country's population was below the poverty line with ratios for rural and urban areas at 41.8% and 25.7%.

The rate of decline was 0.74% per annum during the 11-year period from 1993-94 to 2004-05.

Uttar Pradesh had the highest number of poor people at 598.19 lakh, which is 29.4% of the state's total population followed by Bihar at 358.15 lakh (33.7%), Madhya Pradesh at 234.06 lakh (31.6%), Maharashtra at 197.92 lakh (17.3%) and West Bengal at 184.98 lakh (19.9%).

Prime minister Manmohan Singh had last week highlighted the UPA government's record in poverty reduction, contrasting with the lower fall in the NDA regime and earlier.

"The percentage of population below the poverty line declined at 0.75 percentage points per year before our government came to office in 2004-05. It has fallen more than 2 percentage points per year between 2004-05 and 2011-12," Singh said at an industry association function last week.

Now, only 22 per cent Indians below poverty line: Planning Commission - Economic Times

the latest World Bank data shows that India's poverty rate of 27.5%, based on India's current poverty line of $1.03 per person per day, is more than 10 percentage points higher than Pakistan's 17.2%. Assam (urban), Punjab and Himachal Pradesh are the only three Indian states with similar or lower poverty rates than Pakistan's.

7175c6b4b8d532d95f0c485e496af08e.png

Haq's Musings: World Bank on Poverty Across India in 2011

It is clear case of jealousy ........

India made Mangalyaan
India launched Mangalyaan
India made it reach it to Mangal

I dont know why Pakistani start worry about India's poor when their a$$ start burning

burn in hell ....I am enjoying it ......keep talking about India's poverty...I know where it is coming from....

India launch Mangalyaan......bad bad
Pakistan protects Osama.......good good

It's quite probable that the situation is now worse given the high level of inequality and neglect of agriculture and low value add agri per capita on which over 60% of Indians depend.

View attachment 91897

Haq's Musings: Pakistan Leads South Asia in Agriculture Value Addition

Now, only 22 per cent Indians below poverty line: Planning Commission
ET BureauJul 24, 2013, 04.00AM IST
1e8c77a7fb43f81d59c267e1bbcdebba-gif.91331

NEW DELHI: The number of India's poor fell to less than a quarter of its population in 2011-12, according to a Planning Commission estimate, giving the government a reason to cheer amid the recent raft of disappointing macro economic data.

The commission said on Tuesday the number of those below the poverty line declined to 21.9% of the population in 2011-12, from 29.8% in 2009-10 and 37.2% in 2004-05.

1e8c77a7fb43f81d59c267e1bbcdebba-gif.91331

The estimate, based on a survey of household consumer expenditure, showed rural poverty declined to 25.7% from 41.8% in 2004-05, while in urban areas it fell to 13.7% from 25.7%.

The sharp drop was attributed to the high real growth in recent years, which raised the consumption capacity.

The data showed that nearly 2 crore people were pulled out of poverty every year from 2004-05 onwards, which resulted in a sharp drop in those below the Tendulkar poverty line to 27 crore in 2011-12 from 40.7 crore in 2004-05.

The national level poverty ratio is based on Suresh Tendulkar methodology, which uses the mixed reference period after National Sample Survey Office (NSSO) tabulated expenditure of about 1.2 lakh households across the country.

The national poverty line has been fixed at Rs 816 per capita per month for rural areas and Rs 1,000 for urban areas.

"Thus, for a family of five, the all-India poverty line in terms of consumption expenditure would amount to about 4,080 per month in rural areas and 5,000 per month in urban areas," the Planning Commission said.

The government has set up a committee under C Rangarajan to review the Tendulkar methodology that has been criticised in the past for fixing poverty lines that were too low at 22.42 per person in rural areas and 28.65 in urban areas.

2ecfc95689fbe71d6aadda104afb60a6-_-jpg.91332

ad910916a37dc66a7990f7bcf95142a3.jpg

"Since the data from the NSS (National Sample Survey) 68th round (2011-12) of household consumer expenditure survey is now available, and the Rangarajan committee recommendation will only be available a year later, the Planning Commission has updated the poverty estimates for the year 2011-12 as per the methodology recommended by Tendulkar committee," the Planning Commission said in a release.

The release showed there would still be a decline in the poverty rates from 2004-05 levels even if a method other than the Tendulkar methodology was used to determine the poverty line.

Data from the survey in 2009-10 has not been used for comparison as the year was a drought year. In 2004-05, 37.2% of the country's population was below the poverty line with ratios for rural and urban areas at 41.8% and 25.7%.

The rate of decline was 0.74% per annum during the 11-year period from 1993-94 to 2004-05.

Uttar Pradesh had the highest number of poor people at 598.19 lakh, which is 29.4% of the state's total population followed by Bihar at 358.15 lakh (33.7%), Madhya Pradesh at 234.06 lakh (31.6%), Maharashtra at 197.92 lakh (17.3%) and West Bengal at 184.98 lakh (19.9%).

Prime minister Manmohan Singh had last week highlighted the UPA government's record in poverty reduction, contrasting with the lower fall in the NDA regime and earlier.

"The percentage of population below the poverty line declined at 0.75 percentage points per year before our government came to office in 2004-05. It has fallen more than 2 percentage points per year between 2004-05 and 2011-12," Singh said at an industry association function last week.

Now, only 22 per cent Indians below poverty line: Planning Commission - Economic Times

Btw, I won't click on your blog links to increase its hits, so stop posting those links continuously. :lol:

I shouldn't go to school because my father is poor, and instead, i should work as a daily wage labor with my father. (and ensure, my next generations stay poor too.)

This is @RiazHaq logic.

The fact is, my father was indeed poor, he worked hard enough to send me to a reputed English medium school in the town, did my engineering on a loan, and now doing my Grad studies in one of world's top 100 university on financial aid and scholarship. Your retarded logic only keeps one's society behind. One needs to dream, to draw inspiration to work harder for the next generation. This Mars mission is just one step for that. I can foresee, now a poor farmer in India can dream about giving proper education to his daughter, and make her a scientist. Just a start of a social revolution.

It's quite probable that the situation is now worse given the high level of inequality and neglect of agriculture and low value add agri per capita on which over 60% of Indians depend.

View attachment 91897

Haq's Musings: Pakistan Leads South Asia in Agriculture Value Addition

No need to brag bro. You are a failure, agree it and move on.
Its India's wish, whatever they will do with their money. Some of their states are poor but not all.
So the rich states can fund for Mars or anything. Poor states will concentrate to eradicate poverty.
Where Pakistan only funds for weapons. Lacks in every Human Development Index.

I shouldn't go to school because my father is poor, and instead, i should work as a daily wage labor with my father. (and ensure, my next generations stay poor too.)

This is @RiazHaq logic.

The fact is, my father was indeed poor, he worked hard enough to send me to a reputed English medium school in the town, did my engineering on a loan, and now doing my Grad studies in one of world's top 100 university on financial aid and scholarship. Your retarded logic only keeps one's society behind. One needs to dream, to draw inspiration to work harder for the next generation. This Mars mission is just one step for that. I can foresee, now a poor farmer in India can dream about giving proper education to his daughter, and make her a scientist. Just a start of a social revolution.
actually its not his problem but ours that we still continuing to please him ,,,,,i already told he is sh**e less
a least 10 messages of my deleted by mod related to this.....and that from the day we achieve the historic moment

but he still posting invalid arguments so there is no point ...
kothaye ache na.......... শাক দিয়ে মাছ ঢাকা

actually its not his problem but ours that we still continuing to please him ,,,,,i already told he is sh**e less
a least 10 messages of my deleted by mod related to this.....and that from the day we achieve the historic moment

Aaii shala, bangali naki? :D

I told u na.... plz use ur emergency biscuit to cool this kid!!!

hey riaz nothing to be proud off, the world doen't care about agriculture. talk about industry or services sectors

California is one of the largest farming states in the United States and the world.

Do you know why California cares so much about agriculture in spite of all its high-tech, aerospace, defense and entertainment industries?

Those who don't care about agriculture go hungry as hundreds of millions of Indians do.

Haq's Musings: Strong Food & Beverage Demand Draws Investments in Pak Agribusiness

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom