What's new

Do India's Space Program and Mars Mission Make Sense?

If it weren't for von Braun, there would have been no JPL in USA.

If it were not for Russian small range rockets, Chinese would not have been able to start their space program that early.

Humans build their efforts on the work of each other.

Powers trade political influence for 'gifts' of technology. US gave F-16 for deep influence in Pakistan's policy for quite sometime.

What Pakistan got from the USA is dwarfed by what India got from the USSR.

What Pakistan got from the USA is dwarfed by what India got from the USSR.
Well, compared to their sizes and subsequent purchases that India made from USSR, I will say it is quite decent.
Remember, it was American Tanks and weapons which had enabled Pakistan to almost snatch Kashmir out of Indian control in '65. Had Kashmiris helped Pakistan back then, this day India's part of Kashmir would have been under Pakistan's control.

So according to the first vid, Falcon 9 will begin taking non-Russian cosmonauts to the ISS later this year.

I believe, some of the more recent Falcon 9 launches have employed re-usable fairings as well which is pretty cool.

Reusable fairings is a good idea.

I presume they come down via parachute.

An ozone layer will have to be created in order to sustain human life on a large scale. Musk has even talked about setting off thermonuclear weapons at the North and South pole of Mars in order to do so. Honestly, I think he just likes to troll sometimes. Lol.

Yes, I hope he's joking.

Either way, we're talking about causing massive planetary destruction to our closest neighbour without fully knowing the implications.

True, it's not an exact science.

Though I wonder again if we crash an asteroid ( brought in from the Asteroid Belt ) onto one of the two ice-capped poles. Will it release enough oxygen and create ( ?? ) enough ozone??

This is what NASA had to say about the idea:
"We are also committed to promoting exploration of the solar system in a way that protects explored environments as they exist in their natural state"

That's a compromise, isn't it?? Create environments for humans versus leave them as they are.

"First, you're going to have to live in transparent domes, but eventually, you can transform Mars into an Earth-like planet. You can warm it up," he said.

Why transparent domes?? Why not underground complexes built with Mars concrete created via ISRU ( In-situ Resource Utilization ) or concrete transported from Earth??

I believe there still are meteor shower on Mars which don't burn up in the rarefied atmosphere of Mars like they do on Earth.

Besides this, there is higher radiation on Mars.

Last edited:
Well, compared to their sizes and subsequent purchases that India made from USSR, I will say it is quite decent.
Remember, it was American Tanks and weapons which had enabled Pakistan to almost snatch Kashmir out of Indian control in '65. Had Kashmiris helped Pakistan back then, this day India's part of Kashmir would have been under Pakistan's control.

Everything that Pakistan got from the USA always had ropes attached to it. You guys really underestimate what the USSR did for India.

Nevertheless, it is my hope and dream that India allocates more and more money for their space program. The less they spend on their people, the better.

Nevertheless, it is my hope and dream that India allocates more and more money for their space program. The less they spend on their people, the better.
I will say that Indian space research program has some real fine engineers who can make great achievements on shoe string budget. Oh, btw, Indian space research (via Antrix Corp.) is actually generating more profit for India than European Space Agency (via Arrianespace), which is actually in loss. I had a discussion on this sometimes back with another forum member.

Lastly, lets see... Pakistan doesn't have any space program of its own and also is not spending enough on its citizens.

I will say that Indian space research program has some real fine engineers who can make great achievements on shoe string budget. Oh, btw, Indian space research (via Antrix Corp.) is actually generating more profit for India than European Space Agency (via Arrianespace), which is actually in loss. I had a discussion on this sometimes back with another forum member.

Lastly, lets see... Pakistan doesn't have any space program of its own and also is not spending enough on its citizens.

Comparing the European space program to India's is a joke.

If you call that a shoe string budge then all I can say is: LOL!!

Everyone who went through an engineering university is a fine engineer. What does that have to do with India or Indians? If India had produced any fine engineers you wouldn't have a list of failed defense projects. You can't design a damn smart phone on your own and you're here comparing yourself with the Europeans? Come on man give it a break.

The USSR literally propelled India into the 21st century with all of the tech transfer it handed out to India, it held India's finger and walked it into the modern times.

Pakistan does have a space program but I wouldn't want any cash wasted on it beyond what is absolutely required.

Agreed, the Pakistani government didn't spend much money on its citizen. And yet still an average Pakistani has a life way better than that of an average Indian.

India's space program is kudos. On a shoe string budget they have taken their program to unprecendented levels. Most of their scientists are all products of their own institutions. That in itself is a matter of huge pride. The number of women in the echelons are leaving an unprecedented mark on the program.

Well done and keep up the good work.

If it fulfills indian needs and generates money on top of it, I will say the one who underestimates it is jealous joker.

Come back when you have something to launch satellite cheaper. Just laughing cannot make satellites fly you know? Otherwise jokers would have been space launchers. Idiots can only laugh while achievers achieve success.

Everyone who went through an engineering university is a fine engineer. What does that have to do with India or Indians? If India had produced any fine engineers you wouldn't have a list of failed defense projects. You can't design a damn smart phone on your own and you're here comparing yourself with the Europeans? Come on man give it a break.
I disagree. Not everyone who carries a piece of paper called degree is a 'fine engineer'. Heck every country has their own share of failed defence projects, including the top most powers. And no, not all defence projects of India has failed. Actually quite a few of them have delivered more than decently. Indian missiles, rockets, war-ships come to mind. So do Indian nuclear submarine and associated technologies. On smart phone, name one country which can produce a smart phone COMPLETELY on its own. And I mean all the VLSI chips, displays and associated design tools, all the software involved and everything. No one can and no one will even attempt it, because it is not profitable.
And yes, Indian commercial space arm is more profitable than European one. Figures don't lie. Its okay, admit it that you are jealous and sour.

Pakistan does have a space program but I wouldn't want any cash wasted on it beyond what is absolutely required.
There is none. Pakistan started its space program earlier than India but it has still to master even sounding rockets. BTW, space program can generate cash, if done properly. There is a reason why all these private companies are mushrooming in space technology. India has been generating cash using space. And saving lives of its citizens at the same time. Cann't say the same about Pakistan.

Agreed, the Pakistani government didn't spend much money on its citizen. And yet still an average Pakistani has a life way better than that of an average Indian.
Prove it. Avarage Pakistani lives shorter, is more likely to die as a infant, is less educated, has lesser job opportunities, has worse medical treatment options, pays more for worse quality of vehicles, has worse public transport options, has more trouble travelling abroad than an Indian. May he has more toilets but thats about it.

PS : I am not even an Indian or born in India. Our @WebMaster is a jealous individual who sneakily edits people's profile.

Last edited:
Do India's Space Program and Mars Mission Make Sense?

Yes. Those who don't think so are just butthurt and jealous.

The USSR literally propelled India into the 21st century with all of the tech transfer it handed out to India, it held India's finger and walked it into the modern times.

Wrong.

Back
Top Bottom