What's new

Developments in Bahrain: Fighting Ensues

Absolutely incredible!!! Led by Saudi Arabia, Sunni majority countries of the GCC have invaded a Shi'ah majority country to prop up a Sunni government -- Can you think of a more stupid decision?? How will Iran respod? I hope with great calm because it is curious that this actio has come immediately after the visit of US defense minister, Gates -- once again from the frying pan into the fire

As far as the situation on the ground is concerned, Bahrain is probably the best example of how not to go about a revolution.

1) They started with a pro-Shia movement, not a pro-democracy movement
2) They have now started to attack expats of Bahrain, most of whom are naturalized Bahrainis. Bahrain being the only GCC country with a naturalization program.

The entire Indian/Pakistani origin population of the island has thrown its weight behind the King. They number in about 500,000 combined. Its the age old saying "Jaan bachay toh lakhon paye".

Forget Iran, Pakistanis need to support Bahrain civilians. Saudi are going back to the ways they used to operate before Islam. Islam teaches Muslims to stand up for each other and stand against oppression the time is now.

Saudis are now officially killings Muslims, they're even against the Egypt and Tunisia revolution. They sheltered the Tunisian dictator.

This was not originally a Shia vs Sunni story, the oppressors just happen to be Sunni. Now they're using it to gain Saudi support. I bet u would even find Sunnis in these protests.

Edit:

The Pakistani population has not thrown their weight behind Bahrain king, the ones involved are mercenaries, who used to work for Pakistan forces.

Last edited by a moderator:
A little bit off topic-

But when i think of situation in Bahrain- i can relate it to the rule of minority muslims on majority hindus- Minority Muslims were getting reinforcements from the neighbor country aka afghanistan- the era you all know-
Majority of us "now a days" Pakistanis are very proud of that achievement-

On Topic- Now the Bahraini Shia Majority Protesters are killing Pakistani expatriates- apparantly because most of the Bahraini National Guard consists of Pakistani ex army jawans- mostly Balochis-

what all of you have to say to Pakistan now- for supporting the oppressor Sunni King Hamad- On one hand there is House of Al-Saud on another hand our house- doing the same thing-

I will love to see some honest replies-

We can't do anything this but condemn and let the world know we don't stand for this otherwise future generations will hold this against Pakistan. This will become a source of shame for Pakistan. I know they love Pakistanis if you aren't working for the military in Bahrain.

Saudi vs Iran gambit goes on, India should side with Iran, Saudis are the devils own agents.

Is it ?? Will you leave aside your car in your home and go by cycle if the Saudis stop the oil - this being you live in India.

Think man. What happens in the God forsaken Middle East is none of our problem and we dont want any more problems than already existing in our country itself.

btw who has asked india to intervene ... or is it that you trying to get some attention !!?

Read the previous posts dude.

Saudi vs Iran gambit goes on, India should side with Iran, Saudis are the devils own agents.

As far as the situation on the ground is concerned, Bahrain is probably the best example of how not to go about a revolution.

1) They started with a pro-Shia movement, not a pro-democracy movement
2) They have now started to attack expats of Bahrain, most of whom are naturalized Bahrainis. Bahrain being the only GCC country with a naturalization program.

The entire Indian/Pakistani origin population of the island has thrown its weight behind the King. They number in about 500,000 combined. Its the age old saying "Jaan bachay toh lakhon paye".

they started with a pro shia movement because they are the majority sherlock. If Iran was being ruled by sunnis than we would do the same. They are attacking foreigners for the same reason Libyans are attacking the black mercenaries. Pakistanis and foreign arabs are being sheltered by the bahraini monarch out of desperation so that they can kill, murder and beat shias and you're actually defending these actions? wtf?

Saudi arabia has troops fearing possible Iran sponsor shia uprising in Bahrain . I just wonder if the saudi them self rise against the ruling family who is going to help them, until now they have gave sanctuary for many dictator . its now time to reform in Arab government structure if not the total change in government with some limited democracy .

Forget Iran, Pakistanis need to support Bahrain civilians. Saudi are going back to the ways they used to operate before Islam. Islam teaches Muslims to stand up for each other and stand against oppression the time is now.

Why should Pakistan support Bahrain civilians which are killing innocent Pakistanis there?- One person dead is the media news- i hv confirmed reports at least 9 Pakistanis have already been murdered by these protesters- :angry:

This was not originally a Shia vs Sunni story, the oppressors just happen to be Sunni. Now they're using it to gain Saudi support. I bet u would even find Sunnis in these protests.

That what it is from the start- shia vs sunni- Its not a revolution of democracy- its just the struggle for power- and Iran always supports Bahrain-

I bet u would even find Sunnis in these protests.
Had it been a revolution- we could have seen that- its not true- No one wants to relinquish their sense of superiority- and no one in this world is mad enough to protest for that-

The Pakistani population has not thrown their weight behind Bahrain king, the ones involved are mercenaries, who used to work for Pakistan forces.

These mercenaries have families there- and makes up majority of Pakistani expats there- so expect the expected- they are behind Bahrain King-

You are spreading alot of propaganda BS news- Whats your source of info?-

Even having seen at first hand the consequences of Muslim internecine violence, as a Christian I find it hard to understand. Are the differences between Sunni and Shia so great that one cannot suffer the other to live or share power?

they started with a pro shia movement because they are the majority sherlock. If Iran was being ruled by sunnis than we would do the same. They are attacking foreigners for the same reason Libyans are attacking the black mercenaries. Pakistanis and foreign arabs are being sheltered by the bahraini monarch out of desperation so that they can kill, murder and beat shias and you're actually defending these actions? wtf?

I am amazed you use word "mercenaries"- Technically they are not-
Pakistani ex army soldiers hired by Bahraini monarch had been given Bahraini nationality- they have sworn- taken oath- they are as much Bahraini as you feel you are canadian-

Even having seen at first hand the consequences of Muslim internecine violence, as a Christian I find it hard to understand. Are the differences between Sunni and Shia so great that one cannot suffer the other to live or share power?

The problem can be compared to the problem that caused second world war- same basic religion- different sects- conflicting interests-

the last time i checked a lot of people were labeling KSA as a wahabi state .... how come its now a Sunni majority state vs shia majority country as states by few respected members.... lol

India is better off choosing sides, esp. Saudis funnel money into Pakistan to prop it up, and Iran is energy rich and is by its sheer numbers and geography will be an unquestionable regional power.. and they might as well get nukes.... the game is up... Saudi vs Iran... Iran all day.

Dudes both the Iranians and Saudis are in bed with the US lying in the middle...!!!

I don't think its about who is in power or not. Apparently the Shia majority is quite poor in Bahrain and discrimination against them is rife. Abii posted this video couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thousands stage rally in Bahrain - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

Thousands of mostly Shia Bahrainis have protested against the granting of citizenship to Sunnis from other countries serving in the country's military.

Bahrain has seen weeks of protests by its Shia Muslim majority, which says it is discriminated against by the Sunni Muslim Al-Khalifa ruling family.

The naturalisation question has long been raised by the country's Shias, who say large numbers of foreigners are being given citizenship solely in order to boost the minority's numbers. Shia's currently account for about 70 per cent of Bahrain's 525,000 citizens.

During Wednesday's protests, thousands of demonstrators marched on the immigration office in the capital, Manama, shouting slogans and carrying signs that said "The naturalised must get out". The march began at the Ras Roman mosque.

Protesters also shouted slogans about Sunni-Shia unity, in order to emphasise that the protest was against the government's naturalisation policy, and not against Bahrain's native Sunni population.

Emboldened by youth-led uprisings in nearby Egypt and Tunisia against their autocratic governments, Bahrain has seen a youth movement hold massive public protests in the last few weeks, leading to the worst unrest in the country since the 1990s.

Though initial protests were met with a brutal crackdown by government security forces, subsequent demonstrations have largely been peaceful. Protesters occupying Manama's main Pearl Roundabout say they will not leave, however, until the Al-Khalifa family is ousted from power.

The country's largest Shia opposition group, Wefaq, has demanded that a new government be installed and that a new constitution be drawn up to set up a constitutional monarchy, where an elected parliament has more powers. It has not demanded that the ruling family stand down.

Call for reform in UAE

Meanwhile, in the nearby United Arab Emirates, intellectuals have petitioned their ruler for free and democratic elections on Wednesday.

"The group [of intellectuals] calls for comprehensive reform of the Federal National Council (FNC), or parliament, including demands for free elections by all citizens in the method of universal suffrage," a statement from the petitioners read.

The 40-member FNC had its first elections in 2006, when about 6,500 (less than one per cent of the 800,000 UAE citizens) elected half of its members. The other 20 were appointed.

Some 160 people signed the petition, many of them academics and former members of the FNC, which acts in an advisory capacity to the government and lacks a legislative or regulatory role.

"The group demands reform of legislation governing the work of parliament to include legislative and monitoring authorities and calls for necessary constitutional amendments to ensure this," the petitioners said in the document, sent to Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al-Nahayan, the UAE president, and his ruling council.

Recent reforms to the electoral system have tripled the number of electors who are eligible to vote for FNC members, raising the number to about two per cent of the total population of the seven emirates.

Saudi government warning

In yet another development in the Gulf on Wednesday, Prince Saud al-Faisal, the Saudi Arabian foreign minister, cautioning those threatening to protest against the Saudi government, saying that dialogue, and not protests, is the route to reform. He said the government would not tolerate any street protests against it.

Activists from the kingdom's Shia Muslim minority have called for a "Day of Rage" to be observed on Friday to demand that the current government be removed.

"Reform cannot be achieved through protests ... The best way to achieve demands is through national dialogue," al-Faisal said in Jeddah.

The interior ministry on Monday reiterated that demonstrations are banned in the kingdom on the grounds that they contradict Islamic laws and values and said in a statement that its security forces will act against anyone taking part in them.

The warning came after about 100 Shia protesters held a small demonstration in the eastern part of the kingdom.

On February 24, a group of influential intellectuals urged Abdullah, the country's 86-year old monarch, to adopt far-reaching political and social reforms

Back
Top Bottom