What's new

Delhi and Lahore-Twin Cities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indians sould compare their sub-saharan africa-like Delhi to Bangladesh not Lahore.

Delhi never saw what Lahore saw this past winter.

Lahore, Pakistan - February 2011:

snow_001.jpg

snow_002.jpg

snow_005.jpg

snow_006.jpg

0836128001299007790.jpg

saadpk1948704.jpg

Lahore-Snow-Murree-or-Lahore-15.jpg

Lahore-Snow12.jpg

WHOA! It snowed in Lahore?! I never knew that could happen. I knew it could snow in Islamabad, but Lahore?

LAHORE: Dirty water in 70pc of CDG schools

LAHORE, Jan 8: Children in more than 70 per cent of the schools under the control of the City District Government have to drink contaminated water supplied through dirty tanks.

Consequently, a number of schoolchildren are suffering from various waterborne diseases such as diarrhoea. A few such cases have been recently reported in the Shalamar Town CDG schools.

Acting on the complaints, the CDG and the Punjab Environment Protection Department had conducted a survey of the 350 CDG schools located in the Shalamar Town. Out of 25 samples, water contamination was confirmed in 22 schools.

The survey also revealed that the water tanks of the selected schools had layers of dirt, contaminating every drop of water. The CDG, however, did not survey the pipelines supplying water to these schools to check whether the contamination was only caused by the dirty water tanks or had other reasons like pipe leakage or supply of water by the government tubewells.

As many as 1,600 schools in the provincial metropolis are being controlled by the CDG. According to an EPD official, "if a water survey is conducted properly in the other government schools, contamination may be reported in over 90 per cent of those."

When contacted, District Officer (environment) Tariq Zaman said the CDG had given the task of cleaning the water tanks of 350 Shalamar Town schools to the EDOs (works & service) and the TMOs.

He said the CDG was also planning to survey the schools under its control in future, as there were reports of contaminated water supply in most of those. "Handing over the CDG schools to the NGOs will certainly help improve the standard of education and supply of clean water to children," he hoped.

There are also reports of supply of contaminated water to the residents of Gulshan-i-Ravi, Shalamar, Baghbanpura, Mahmood Booti, Farooq Park, Afshan Park, Gul Bahar Colony, Harbanspura, the Walled City, Green Town, Township and Ravi Road. However, Wasa officials claimed that they had prepared numerous schemes this year to ensure supply of clean water to the residents of these areas.

"Wasa responds to every complaint about water," they claimed, but added that they were forced to ignore the areas where the water problems were not acute because of limited funds.

They said several new housing schemes developed in various parts of the city had their own water-supply systems, but Wasa was held responsible whenever a problem arose in these colonies.It is learnt that Wasa provides 80 gallon water to each consumer daily. A huge quantity of water is being wasted by watering plants, lawns and streets.

According to a study of the Water Resource Strategy, more than 25,000 people in Lahore are suffering from various diseases due to the consumption of contaminated water.

LAHORE: Dirty water in 70pc of CDG schools -DAWN - Local; 09 January, 2004

Delhi’s Dirty Reality?

Delhis-Dirty-Reality-400x349.jpg

Lalit Bhanot, the Secretary-General of the Indian Olympic Committee, set off a firestorm of controversy last week when he sought to explain away the appalling hygienic conditions at the Commonwealth Games Village. In a careless and inappropriate remark, Bhanot suggested that Indians and foreigners have different standards of cleanliness, causing public dismay and hand wringing. However, if the truth be told, it may not have been far off the mark.

Visit any major Indian metropolis and you will find garbage around every major street corner, stray dogs sniffing through the piles in search of scraps of food and pedestrians and motorists seemingly oblivious to these appalling sights. Meanwhile urban residents, regardless of social class, think nothing of tossing to the ground food wrappers, leftovers and fruit rinds in any number of public places from markets to parks. Few such areas have garbage cans handy and this only encourages this careless behavior.

Worse still, most major urban centers lack basic public bathrooms and it is hardly uncommon to see men urinating along major roads. The sanitary conditions that prevail in and around major slums in India’s cities would make the conditions of Dickensian England look positively salubrious. Even wealthy neighborhoods aren't exempt. The stench and the that I encounter five mornings a week as I drop my daughter off at an expensive private school make me shudder. The school, I might add, is located in a diplomatic enclave.

In the wake of the Secretary-General’s controversial remark, the local municipal authorities in conjunction with New Delhi’s government have moved swiftly to clean up the CWG Village. In all likelihood the village will be livable in time for the onset of the games. However, one is forced to wonder about what will happen when the Games come to a close. Will all of the outcry about the miserable quality of civic facilities in urban areas be swiftly forgotten? Does the quality of urban life make no difference to the millions, many of whom are increasingly middle class, in India’s major metropolitan centers? Will they undertake some form of collective action to address what are not mere eyesores but genuine signs of urban blight? Or will they simply shrug off the accumulated mounds of dirt, garbage and pools of stagnant water as simply the normal state of affairs in every urban setting?

Delhi’s Dirty Reality? | Indian Decade

always Pakistani peoples have inferiority complex, can't you guys think about what you people going to face in future with your own government. how much % of GDP spending on education and health. how many bomb blast happened in one month. is your government stable, is your politicians concentrating on development, why you people wanna show some thing that you people really don't have.

@ Grounder,

Pakistan was formed for the Muslims of the Indus Valley. Pakistanis being natives of the Indus valley share a common and close-knit history.

Paksitanis descend from the world's oldest cvilization.

The Indus Valley civilization disappeared and the citizens (most probably) migrated to other areas. People haven't inhabited the Indus valley continually. And, frankly Islam as a religion arrived on the scene a few thousand years after the Indus Valley civilization.

Please, people, no religion here. Except when I ask something related to it. Cuz I'm polite about it. Really.

it is insulting and extremely demeaning for a Pakistani when some hindustany tries to compare some place like Delhi to an ancient and historical city like Lahore --which is a pride for Pakistan

FYI

The first instance of the region being capitalised was in the Ancient Era, during the time of the Mahabharata War, when the five Pandava brothers built an immense and highly sophisticated fortress called Indraprastha and ruled the country from there.

History of Delhi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I told one my colleague gora about Lahore, He asked where it is.
He is thinking that it is red light area because of name La-hore.

So Omar is saying Lahore is better than Delhi just coz it snowed there in winter? :crazy:

By that logic, Antarctica is the best place in the world then??? :rolleyes1:

Some people use logic, others on PDF abuses logic, mutilates it and then destroy it completely:suicide:

always Pakistani peoples have inferiority complex, can't you guys think about what you people going to face in future with your own government. how much % of GDP spending on education and health. how many bomb blast happened in one month. is your government stable, is your politicians concentrating on development, why you people wanna show some thing that you people really don't have.

Again same question. Oooh bhai, our GDP is enough to save our people from somali pirates, even we can save the indians....

Now stay happy with your GDP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom