What's new

Delhi and Lahore-Twin Cities

Status
Not open for further replies.
LAHORE: Some 2,802 incidents of violence against women were reported in Punjab alone during July-December 2010, reveals a bi-annual report released by the Aurat Foundation, a women’s rights organisation.

364 incidents of rape/gang rape, about 373 women were victimised, of whom 268 were unmarried, 77 married

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Delhi Govt. under fire over poor sanitary conditions

INDEX_GARBAGE_DUMPED_19122c.jpg

NEW DELHI, December 22, 2009
Staff Reporter
Caption:Garbage dumped near Sadipur Depot, in New Delhi. Photo: Shiv Kumar Pushpakar

The Delhi High Court on Monday expressed displeasure over the poor sanitary conditions in the Capital saying that “this is the state of cleanness when the Commonwealth Games is on the anvil”.

A Division Bench of the Court comprising Justices Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Ajit Bharihoke made these observations after going through a report on the sanitary conditions in the Capital submitted by the Central Pollution Control Board.

The Bench later summoned the Principal Secretary of the Delhi Government, the Municipal Corporation of Delhi Commissioner and the Medical Officer of the New Delhi Municipal Council to explain negligence on their part in keeping the city clean.

The Board has prepared the report on a direction by the High Court. The Court has asked it to make a survey of the sanitary conditions in the city every three month and file a report.

The report says that the sanitary conditions in the city have deteriorated further and about 50 per cent of the city’s population are condemned to live in unhygienic conditions.

It particularly refers to the poor maintenance of a landfill site near the airport maintained by the Delhi Cantonment Board saying that it has become a threat to the flights taking off from the Indira Gandhi International Airport as birds hover over it.

Garbage is still being burnt by the civic bodies’ sanitary staff which is an offence under the environment law, the reports states.

It further says that local bodies carry garbage to landfill sites in open trucks which falls on the road and cause environmental pollution.

About one-third of the city’s population defecate in the open and receptacles kept in the colonies for collection of garbage are kept open and not cleaned regularly, the report says.

The Court was hearing a 14-year-old petition drawing the attention of the Court to poor hygienic conditions in the city.

The Hindu : Cities / Delhi : Delhi Govt. under fire over poor sanitary conditions

Delhi High Court awards 5cr damages to Australian national

NEW DELHI: In a rare case of compensation awarded to an individual by an Indian court, Delhi high court on Monday granted nearly Rs 5 crore as damages to an Australian woman, who became paralyzed from waist below after slipping in a swimming pool of an ITDC hotel in the capital 33 years ago.

Susan Leigh Beer was 18 when she slipped on the algae-ridden dirty floor of the swimming pool in Akbar Hotel after she jumped into its shallow end. The incident resulted in her receiving a massive gash on the head, leaving her crippled for life. Responding to the court order from her home in Australia, Susan told TOI, "It's been a frustrating, difficult and long struggle for us all. Let us pray this will be the end of this nightmare."

Holding ITDC, which managed the hotel, guilty of negligence, Justice B D Ahmed said Beer was "entitled to a decree in the sum of 1,82,00,000 (rupees one crore and eighty two lakh) along with simple interest thereon at the rate of 6% per annum w.e.f 22,01,1982, till the date of the decree and future simple interest on the said amount at the rate of 10% per annum till its realization ," – a figure which comes to roughly Rs 5 crore.

Delhi High Court awards 5cr damages to Australian national - Economic Times

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Did you read this yourself? "33 years ago"
And she got a tremendous compensation. I think, looking at the larger picture, this is commendable. Not the dirty swimming pool, though. But, in the end, that is all that it was. You get dirty swimming pools in Lahore too.

Did you read this yourself? "33 years ago"
And she got a tremendous compensation. I think, looking at the larger picture, this is commendable. Not the dirty swimming pool, though. But, in the end, that is all that it was. You get dirty swimming pools in Lahore too.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The flight to Delhi was hilarious. The plane was about 95% indian...all of whom considered themselves the MOST important person in the world. That can be the only explaination for their behaviour. They REFUSED to sit down, follow requests re aircraft safety, they spoke to the air crew like , made constant loud DEMANDS for service and finally just as the plane was decending for the landing, they started phoning people (loudly, obviously) one guy actually got in to an argument with a crew member cos he REFUSED to end his call

Sad aircraft safety....their call is more important! It was ridiculous. We were sat infront of an elderly couple who never stopped making demands of the crew. After 30 mins the crew got so sick of their rude shouting and barking orders that they started to shout back! Oh, how we enjoyed it! So this was our introduction to india. :lol:

We got through the airport intact and made it to the shuttle bus. We paid the LP guide price of 50 rupees (89 to the pound) and got to the vicinity of connaught place ( centre of new delhi). Then the driver told us to get off, (wobbly head) 'oh, its only maybe 4 or 5 mins that way',...he said pointing down the road. So off we went. After 10 mins we came to new delhi central train station...he'd told us to go in EXACTLY the opposite way to where we should have been walking!

We eventually found a hotel and got them down 100r to an extortionate 650r a night.

Having checked the other cheap options in town tho, we're staying here. The others were utter pits!
In delhi, there are a number of historical, religious and colonial points of interest. That is...if you can get to them without being killed by the traffic. We decided to narrow our expectations to just those that seemed of interest to us. We went off today to the old delhi area, to the red fort and the friday mosque area.

Now, bear in mind we were here all day yesterday so weve become familiar with the delhi-wallah's 'way' of treating westerners

old delhi, a surprising attractive find!!!!. Its a familiar theme that weve seen around the world, just magnified by 1 million here! :) The men stare at me in a lecherous way (only to Gail, not Adam, they just tell adam that Gail is 'sexy'?!!! they have no shame)and try to accidentally 'touch' you. The beggars are relentless and persistant.

The touts are like nothing youve seen! Talk about determined. The WILL actually knock you over in their attempt to get your attention (and cash).There are thousands of touts on every street all competing with each other to get you into their shop. Obviously we're VERY good at the 'ignoring them and walking past manouver' but god, these people try your patience.

We got the new metro (its not utterly yet, but its well on the way) to the red fort. Thats when it really began. The squallor and utter is appauling. Ive seen before in S America, but delhi is MASSIVE and the streets are so narrow it just concentrates the dirt and stench in to overpowering horridness. Men will just piss in the streets. Some streets smell so bad you want to run out of them, you just cant breath the air. To try to give you an accurate picture of the experience...imagine if you will...

Its christmas shopping, in your huge local mall, and the entire world is crammed in there. Everyone has brought a trash bag full of food and rubbish and human waste and dead rats, and they have all dumped the contents all over the floor

old delhi, typical street! Turn the heating up to about 40 degrees and the humidity up to about 85% Now in to the mall comes, cows, goats, horses, trucks bikes rickshaws, chickens, until you simply cannot move anymore. Then people start to sleep on the floor and start cooking anywhere theres a gap. Every second person is desperately trying to flog you something, and you cant get away. Great eh!

The beggars are out in force in the touristy areas, and theyre skilled at their trade. It is a trade to some too. Not all, some people are genuinely needy, but ive seen too many with 'temporary' ailments that magically disappear when the shifts over! The street kids are the worst. I was hassled by a teenager, he kept giving me backhanded slaps on my arm, asking for money. I ignored him, then said no, but he kept backhanding me, harder and harder. So i backhanded him too!

Unfortunately I hit his arm, and that made him smack himself in the mouth. I didnt do it deliberately but the look of disbelief on his face, that someone would actually do the same back to him was a picture!

Anyway, he left me alone after that. We had been warned that the beggars in India are aggressive and I know i shouldnt react the same way, but it seemed to work so im going to keep doing it.

Adam caught a guy trying to pick his pocket. The guy may have got away with it too, had there been any loose money in there and not Adams hand!

I mean...what an idiot! He then offered to shake Adams hand, (after being caught) What are they on ?!!!

We walked for 3 hours through the streets of old delhi and barely saw a thing. Its hard to explain, but youre so preoccupied with avoiding the traffic, watching the theives eyeing you up, and avoiding the constant stream of touts that hassle you unmercilessly. That you just darent look about and stop to take in the place. Anyway, its so and stinky you dont want to stay there any longer than absolutely necessary.

We're going to humayuns tomb tomorrow. Its the only other thing I think i can cope with the hassle to see. All the other stuff, sounds alright...but not good enough to put ourselves through the hours of grief necessary to see it. We bought our train tickets to Agra today, going the day after tomorrow....NOW THERES A PLACE YOU WONT SEE MANY TOUTS:)

Read more: Welcome to Dirty...I mean Delhi :) - Delhi, India Travel Blog

18-year-old girl raped in south Delhi - Times Of India

Woman alleges rape in W Delhi - Times Of India

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/27/world/asia/27india.html

INDIA-articleLarge.jpg

Delhi University student raped in car

BBC News - Delhi call centre worker gang rape: Two arrested

Gang rape and murder | 17 year old girl | Southwest Delhi | New Year Party

77-year-old woman raped in Delhi - Rediff.com India News

Last year, a study by this women’s organization found that women of all classes deal with sexual harassment in Delhi. Harassment occurs during all hours of the day, in crowded and secluded spaces. Forty-five per cent of women had experienced being stalked. Only 0.8% of women said they reported harassment to the police. Some 58% said they did not even consider approaching the police as they believed a) the police wouldn’t do anything, b) the police would just fill in the paperwork, and c) the police would blame them.

Who

Well said! Whatever you mean by that. Do you mean: No dirty swimming pools in Lahore?! And if Susan Leigh Beer were to slip in a swimming pool in Lahore, she couldn't have been paralyzed? Please elaborate. I need more than five smileys.

Again same question. Oooh bhai, our GDP is enough to save our people from somali pirates, even we can save the indians....

Now stay happy with your GDP.

ohh i c, so PN controlling somali pirates all the time right, get life man. inferiority complex. dont know why these people wanna show they are Richie rich.

60-yr-old woman raped, murdered in north Delhi

TNN Jan 3, 2011, 08.48am IST

NEW DELHI: A drink with her husband's employer on the New Year eve proved costly for a 60-year-old woman in north Delhi when he allegedly murdered her after raping her, said the police on Sunday.The shocking incident took place in Majnu ka Tila on December 31 evening and Achey Lal (45), who was earlier acquitted in a rape case, was arrested for allegedly raping and murdering the woman, who worked as a maid.She was found lying on the floor in her house and was rushed to Aruna Asaf Ali Hospital where doctors declared her brought dead, Rupinder Kumar, Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police (North), said. "We solved the case within two hours of the incident," said Kumar.Investigators zeroed in Lal after they got a tip off that he was the last person seen at the place of incident. His mobile phone was also found lying near the body. Lal, who was trying to escape from the spot, was apprehended and during questioning, he "confessed" to the crime."Initially, he tried to mislead police by telling that she was a motherly figure. However, he later broke down and confessed of having killed the lady after raping her," Kumar said.According to Kumar, the accused told his interrogators that his wife had gone to her native place since a long time and his sexual desires were not being fulfilled. "The victim was the wife of his labourer and he usually visited the house of the deceased. On December 31, he reached her house and sent her husband for work. He and deceased were alone at the house."They both consumed alcohol and after this, Lal allegedly attacked her. She resisted. When the victim tried to resist, he shut her mouth with a cloth which led to her death," he said. Lal, who was residing in Gopalpur village in Timarpur, hails from Sultanpur district of UP and is working for last 15 years with various tent owners.He has 7 children and belongs to a poor family. He is a habitual drunkard. He was earlier arrested in a rape case in Civil Lines but had been acquitted.The shocking incident took place in Majnu ka Tila on December 31 evening and Achey Lal (45), who was earlier acquitted in a rape case, was arrested for allegedly raping and murdering the maid.

60-yr-old woman raped, murdered in north Delhi - Times Of India

75-year-old woman raped in Delhi

A 75-year-old woman was raped allegedly by a young flower vendor in north-west Delhi, police said today.

The incident took place in Keshavpuram on Friday evening and the accused Prahlad, 22, was arrested today.

The woman was found lying in a semi-conscious state in a park by a passerby who informed police.

The victim lives alone after her son died a few years ago.

She had injury marks on her when she was found by the passerby, who rushed her to a nearby government hospital where a medical examination confirmed that she was raped.

A case of rape was registered on the statement given by the victim. Prahlad, a local flower vendor, was arrested following investigations.

75-year-old woman raped in Delhi - India - DNA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom