What's new

CV-17 Shandong - Type 002 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

Care to explain why ?? ... and what else was then removed or replaced ?

Is china have APAR radar? the small radar pole look like to install narmal 3D radar.

Last edited:
Ähhhm ???? He questioned that the AESA was installed and I asked for an explanation why he thinks so.

Yes but the thing is he looked just unable to explain that clearly due to his poor English.

Is china have APAR radar? the small radar pole look like to install narmal 3D radar.

There are many Chinese companies making TR modules, AESA radars and their product ranges cover the entire spectrum. You can search online for more information.

APAR is a brand, it is not a type of radar, for type it is an AESA. traditionally, USN use PESA while PLAN use AESA. both system does the same thing, but PESA has a single transmitter else AESA has many, while this make AESA more flexible, the true is there is little use for those flexiblity as ship will be operating them in their long range mode which is effectively the same. but in manufacturing, AESA is more scalable since you are just adding elements vs PESA require you to build a bigger transmitter everytime you scale it up. this is why USN has been using the same size array while PLAN has bigger and bigger size array for their bigger ship, it easier for China to make different model. and for each version of China carrier and destroyer, we see different radar being deployed, whereas all US user of aegis are effectively limited to the same configuration until the introduction of the AN/SPY3 AESA used in the ford class carrier/DDG1000.

APAR is a brand, it is not a type of radar, for type it is an AESA. traditionally, USN use PESA while PLAN use AESA. both system does the same thing, but PESA has a single transmitter else AESA has many, while this make AESA more flexible, the true is there is little use for those flexiblity as ship will be operating them in their long range mode which is effectively the same. but in manufacturing, AESA is more scalable since you are just adding elements vs PESA require you to build a bigger transmitter everytime you scale it up. this is why USN has been using the same size array while PLAN has bigger and bigger size array for their bigger ship, it easier for China to make different model. and for each version of China carrier and destroyer, we see different radar being deployed, whereas all US user of aegis are effectively limited to the same configuration until the introduction of the AN/SPY3 AESA used in the ford class carrier/DDG1000.

Yes, i understand, APAR is from Thales, that why i puzzled early said install APAR.
i still puzzled (on crane photo) actually we talk on 001A main AESA radar or secondary radar on top of ship bridge ?

Yes, i understand, APAR is from Thales, that why i puzzled early said install APAR.
i still puzzled (on crane photo) actually we talk on 001A main AESA radar or secondary radar on top of ship bridge ?
Well, I am the one that used the term APAR first to refer to CV-17 AESA radar.

Active electronically scanned array - Wikipedia
An active electronically scanned array (AESA), is a type of phased array antenna, that is a computer-controlled array antenna in which the beam of radio waves can be electronically steered to point in different directions without moving the antenna. In the AESA, each antenna element is connected to a small solid-state transmit/receive module (TRM) under the control of a computer, which performs the functions of a transmitter and/or receiver for the antenna. This contrasts with a passive electronically scanned array (PESA), in which all the antenna elements are connected to a single transmitter and/or receiver through phase shifters under the control of the computer. AESAs main use is in radar, and these are known as active phased array radar (APAR).
As you can read from there, the term APAR is used when AESA is used as a radar.
Anyway, I thought it would be obvious what I am referring to.
Obviously not. Probably should use AESA radar/APAR, but at the time, I am lazy to type.

111528vlvhytpzll2tz5hl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom