18. High Pressure and Low Pressure Compressors: LG India
19. Anchor Capstan: Geetha Engineering, Mumbai
20. Hatches and Doors: Godrej, Mumbai
21. Impressed Current Cathodic Protection: Sargam Metals, Chennai
22. Laundry and Galley: Sushma Marine, Mumbai
23. RHIB and LCVP Davits: SHM Shipcare, Mumbai
24. Sanitation System : Vacman Sanitation Solutions, Mumbai
25. SRGM: Haridwar unit of BHEL

The dream of having an indigenous aircraft carrier would not have materialised had it not been for a little-known steel factory in Odisha. The first good news in India’s two-decade-long quest to construct an aircraft carrier came from the Steel Authority of India (SAIL) factory in Rourkela which delivered a special quality military-grade steel — DMR-249A — for building Vikrant.
In the late 1990s, the Indian Navy acquired a Russian formula on military-grade steel, but had no idea about the process and chemistry. The Naval Material Research Laboratory and Heavy Engineering Corporation first gave it a go, but failed.
The Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory and SAIL picked up the baton and, after a few years of trial and error, delivered top-quality steel to the shipyard, saving the country hundreds of crores.
The experience helped Indian steel factories manufacture such steel for indigenous construction of every warship and submarine. A second special type (DMR249z25) was created for Vikrant’s machine and engine rooms so that the chambers are protected from a torpedo hit. The DMR249 steels are one of the military items that India wants to export, thanks to Project IAC or Indigenous Aircraft Carrier, now known as Vikrant. This is not an isolated example.
Several other Vikrant technologies such as the explosion-proof automatic energy lamp and transparent RF shielding now find applications outside the military.

@Black Tornado @beijingwalker @VkdIndian @Bilal9 @Two banks of the River @Cheepek @bluesky @UKBengali @mmr @Wergeland @MH.Yang @Beast @Abdul Rehman Majeed

3 critical components are not India made. The LM 2500 Gas turbine, the arrestor hook system and the AESA radar.

And these 3 items are the most important one for the aircraft carrier.

3 critical components are not India made. The LM 2500 Gas turbine, the arrestor hook system and the AESA radar.

Don't be naive, the article claim of making component and not complete unit. Likely those components of the gas turbine are simple parts. No countries will TOT these critical asset to others.

There are a few parts that may have been imported and even the engine is from the General Electric Company. However, the point to note is that Indian engineers and technicians did all the difficult jobs in an Indian shipyard.

The aircraft carrier looks impressive. It is a technological feat.

I congratulate the Indians for building such a warship. China has also built a similar thing.

There are a few parts that may have been imported and even the engine is from the General Electric Company. However, the point to note is that Indian engineers and technicians did all the difficult jobs in an Indian shipyard.

The aircraft carrier looks impressive. It is a technological feat.

I congratulate the Indians for building such a warship. China has also built a similar thing.
China build everything by Chinese and 100% of the critical component are indigenous. How is that comparable to India one?

If US decide to stop service or support LM2500 gas turbine. Can india solve it themselves? Of cos not.

China build everything by Chinese and 100% of the critical component are indigenous. How is that comparable to India one?

If US decide to stop service or support LM2500 gas turbine. Can india solve it themselves? Of cos not.
Yes and all 100% reverse engineered. :lol: Chinese great at copying, everything from rolex and Louis Vuitton to engines. Not a single major technology has been invented by the Chinese yet, all reverse engineered or copied, you guys have like 12 nobel prize winners in a country of 1.5 billion, so stop boasting until you actually invent something instead of reverse engineering.

But credit is due where its due, Chinese are no. 1 when in virus technology. Secret proprietary chinese technology is their filthy flea market technology which they provide to no one. They have been able to create sars, covid, bird flu etc etc, no other country can match.. China no. 1 leader in virus tech :enjoy:

Why is AESA radar critical for aircraft carrier ?

As far as I understand the engine technology, Chinese ones are still very immature. This is why China itself uses many famous Russian engines in their fighter planes.

Why immature? Because China has very limited years of experience with its engines. When the Western culminated/ combined experience of multiple countries is more than 500 years, the Chinese experience is no more than two decades.

I am not sure about the civilian planes. But, only recently did I read that made-in-China engines for civilian use are also inefficient compared to Western engines. And this is why China has stopped manufacturing some of its civilian aircraft. Engines are inefficient and consume too much fuel.

For maintenance of the Indian aircraft carrier engine, please note that the engines were built by none other than GE, and GE has signed an agreement with its Indian counterpart.

No way the American govt can force GE to stop supplies to India. Please note that GE engines are the best and strongest in the world.

I am not sure about the civilian planes. But, only recently did I read that made-in-China engines for civilian use are also inefficient compared to Western engines. And this is why China has stopped manufacturing some of its civilian aircraft. Engines are inefficient and consume too much fuel.

As far as I understand the engine technology, Chinese ones are still very immature. This is why China itself uses many famous Russian engines in their fighter planes.

Why immature? Because China has very limited years of experience with its engines. When the Western culminated/ combined experience of multiple countries is more than 500 years, the Chinese experience is no more than two decades.

For maintenance of the Indian aircraft carrier engine, please note that the engines were built by none other than GE, and GE has signed an agreement with its Indian counterpart.

No way the American govt can force GE to stop supplies to India. Please note that GE engines are the best and strongest in the world.
Lol... Once again another outdated news based on 10 years ago data. May I know what Chinese military weapon now is using Russian engine?

I think you don't even know China export J-10CE to Pakistan AF with a Chinese egnine. Please don't make a fool of yourself.

Lol... Once again another outdated news based on 10 years ago data. May I know what Chinese military weapon now is using Russian engine?
Type 052D destroyers are equipped with a combined diesel or gas (CODOG) propulsion system integrating two MTU 20V 956TB92 diesel engines

Back
Top Bottom