What's new

Church denies funeral to Priyanka Chopra’s grandmother

@danger007 your inputs please.have seen you whining on every second thread citing intolerance.

If she is Member of That church .. church got no right to deny .. Those burial grounds are restricted to died members.. otherwise graveyard may not enough..

I have heard of it for the first time as a Christian myself!

Christians do not believe in ressurection of 'body'. Please read following passage from Bible..
CORINTHIANS 15:42

42 "So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; 43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; 44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body."

Who told you that we keep our dead facing east? Christians do not have any particular liking to any direction. Since God is Omnipresent, all directions are equal.

Anyway, on the topic... even if someone has married a Hindu or a Muslim but visits Church regularly, Church has no right to deny burial.

Being buried is an important part of their faith. They believe to resurrect their body on the Day of Judgement the body has to be whole and buried with the feet to the East. Until that day they prefer to be with their ancestors by being buried in the same church grounds. There is no discarding of the body as worn clothes as Hindus believe.

Anyone can wear a Janeu, it wont be considered a Janeu by the orthodox Hindus. That is all. No one will stop you from wearing one. Yes you can cremate a Muslim or a Christian in a Shamshan Ghat. No one sits there observing whether you are following the rites or not. At the max there is an attendant and a chowkidar in the Shamshan ghat and no one else. The rites are a duty of the family members and no one else and no one is there to enforce these.

I have heard of it for the first time as a Christian myself!

Christians do not believe in ressurection of 'body'. Please read following passage from Bible..
CORINTHIANS 15:42

42 "So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; 43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; 44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body."

Who told you that we keep our dead facing east? Christians do not have any particular liking to any direction. Since God is Omnipresent, all directions are equal.

Actually they denied because of She is no longer member of Church.. A Christian Lawyer was settled in Delhi ... his father once member of a church in their home town.. after the lawyer father died.. they tried to bury in Hometown Graveyard which belongs to the Church.. but the Church denied due to they are no longer member of Church .. If everyone comes to bury their beloved ones like this.. there will be no space left for active members..

May be it is time you got reacquainted with your faith.

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/resurrection-of-the-body

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resurrection_of_the_dead

The feet facing east was a fact I found out only today. It was an important belief though may not be followed now.

Also God is not Omnipresent as per Christian beliefs because of the separation of creation and creator. Christians do not believe in the divinity of humankind or animal kind or of any other worldly objects. Which makes God external and separate from creation and hence not omnipresent.

1. I don't understand why ppl have their last wish to be buried in some church or something be done with their dead body? Does it serve any purpose after you 're dead?
I really don't care whether I will be cremated,buried or eaten by vultures. My soul will be out of the body and every bit of me has to finally become a part of the universe. Errrr my bones, nails and hairs might take some hundreds of years to decay if I'm buried rather than being cremated like the Hindus do.
@Skull and Bones what are your plans?

2. If church was adamant about not letting a woman, who had married a Hindu, to be not buried in their grave yard then they would not have gone back on their stance. Now since they have allowed Priyanka Chopra's grandmother they will have to allow everyone who marries outside their religion. Me thinks this was just a stunt to garner some limelight.

I don't mean to hurt anyone's sentiments.
I hope Priyanka's grandmother rests in peace.

I want to be cryo-frozen, so someday I might return back again, to torment the lesser mortals. :)

I'm surprised to see many new members or unknown members (to me) quoting me.. Im not active now a days and very few old members know me. In Church or Related threads lot new guys dragging me from past few months.. I don't how come they know about me ..

I want to be cryo-frozen, so someday I might return back again, to torment the lesser mortals. :)
Whoa!
I'm planning to donate atleast my eyes after death. The body too can be taken to medical college.
I don't mind really!

But I'm in no hurry to die. :ashamed:

A bit off-topic, but, the other day I was reading how bodies decompose just out of curiosity.

Timeline of What Happens:
24-72 hours after death Internal organs begin to decompose.
3-5 days after death Body starts bloating. Blood-containng foam begins leaking from mouth and nose. :sick:
8-10 days after death Massive decompostion of organs in abdomin accumulate massive gas; body turns from green to red becuase of blood decomposition.
Several weeks after death Nails and teeth begin to fall.
1 month after death Body starts to become fluid.

Source: http://www.enkivillage.com/how-long-does-it-take-for-a-body-to-decompose.html

So gross!! I guess Hindu cremation is a much "cleaner" way to get recycled, imo! :-)
Lol
I knew about it and didn't want to evoke an eww response from the audience of this thread ergo avoided posting about it.

Wow! Now you are gonna teach me my faith! :-)

Look again at the sources quoted by you again. I gave you proof in the scripture itself about the resurrection of soul (not flesh). You are quoting wikipedia and catholic.com.

Where does it tell that all Christians believe in resurrection of "flesh"? Some sects believe in it, many do not.

It is just like many of Hindus believe in Laxmi, Ganesha and other Gods and many Hindus are monoethist (adwaita), some are dualistic (dwaita). You can not say that one is lesser hindu than other.

As you can see, there can be multiple views in a single religion, each thinking that their way is right.

May be it is time you got reacquainted with your faith.

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/resurrection-of-the-body

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resurrection_of_the_dead

The feet facing east was a fact I found out only today. It was an important belief though may not be followed now.

Also God is not Omnipresent as per Christian beliefs because of the separation of creation and creator. Christians do not believe in the divinity of humankind or animal kind or of any other worldly objects. Which makes God external and separate from creation and hence not omnipresent.

she lived as christian ,was a regular visitor of churches ...This is not the first incident ,few months back a Hindu lady married to christian and converted to Christianity was denied funeral ,later she was cremated as per Hindu rituals ...Christians in this forum always lecture Hindus about tolerance when their church is showing intolerance even towards the dead

Akhauri had broken ties with the church after her marriage to a Hindu and she lived as a Hindu.

Wow! Now you are gonna teach me my faith! :-)

Look again at the sources quoted by you again. I gave you proof in the scripture itself about the resurrection of soul (not flesh). You are quoting wikipedia and catholic.com.

Where does it tell that all Christians believe in resurrection of "flesh"? Some sects believe in it, many do not.

It is just like many of Hindus believe in Laxmi, Ganesha and other Gods and many Hindus are monoethist (adwaita), some are dualistic (dwaita). You can not say that one is lesser hindu than other.

As you can see, there can be multiple views in a single religion, each thinking that their way is right.

LOL. Catholic.com is a Christian run site authoritative about everything Catholics believe in who incidentally make up the bulk of Christian population in the world. Catholic.com also gives many many quotations from scripture itself not just the single quote given by you.

What kind of whereabouttery are you indulging here? It is Catholic belief and not only Catholic but the dominant belief of all Christian denominations. Very few denominations which have copied a lot from Hinduism have been shifting their stance on this subject in the past couple of hundred years including Seventh Day Adventists and perhaps the Anglicans.

All Hindus believe in Laxmi and Ganesha and other Gods. There are no monotheists in Hinduism including those believing in Advaita. There are monists in Hinduism which is not same as monotheists. Hinduism does not exclude people for divergent beliefs unlike Churches. So please there is no comparison.

I don't care how many views are there in Christianity, but this is the prime belief among all major sects.

There is no quote whatsoever in either Catholic.com or Wikipedia which says that the actual body of the person will be resurrected. In scriptures as well as beliefs of Catholics, dead will be resurrected but the body would not be same. It would be a different body. The person would still be identifiable through his soul which was in continuity from his old physical self and his new form.

Had Christians believed that a person with same old flesh would be resurrected, they would have kept their dead as Egyptian Mummies!

I can quote exact verse from Bible:
CORINTHIANS 1:15:35

The Resurrection Body
35 But someone will ask, “How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come?” 36 How foolish! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies. When you sow, you do not plant the body that will be, but just a seed, perhaps of wheat or of something else. 38 But God gives it a body as he has determined, and to each kind of seed he gives its own body.

This is the core verse which is followed by most of the denominations of Christians. They believe in resurrection, but the body is not same. Its a new body given by God.

LOL. Catholic.com is a Christian run site authoritative about everything Catholics believe in who incidentally make up the bulk of Christian population in the world. Catholic.com also gives many many quotations from scripture itself not just the single quote given by you.

What kind of whereabouttery are you indulging here? It is Catholic belief and not only Catholic but the dominant belief of all Christian denominations. Very few denominations which have copied a lot from Hinduism have been shifting their stance on this subject in the past couple of hundred years including Seventh Day Adventists and perhaps the Anglicans.

All Hindus believe in Laxmi and Ganesha and other Gods. There are no monotheists in Hinduism including those believing in Advaita. There are monists in Hinduism which is not same as monotheists. Hinduism does not exclude people for divergent beliefs unlike Churches. So please there is no comparison.

I don't care how many views are there in Christianity, but this is the prime belief among all major sects.

There is no quote whatsoever in either Catholic.com or Wikipedia which says that the actual body of the person will be resurrected. In scriptures as well as beliefs of Catholics, dead will be resurrected but the body would not be same. It would be a different body. The person would still be identifiable through his soul which was in continuity from his old physical self and his new form.

Had Christians believed that a person with same old flesh would be resurrected, they would have kept their dead as Egyptian Mummies!

I can quote exact verse from Bible:
CORINTHIANS 1:15:35

The Resurrection Body
35 But someone will ask, “How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come?” 36 How foolish! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies. When you sow, you do not plant the body that will be, but just a seed, perhaps of wheat or of something else. 38 But God gives it a body as he has determined, and to each kind of seed he gives its own body.

This is the core verse which is followed by most of the denominations of Christians. They believe in resurrection, but the body is not same. Its a new body given by God.

if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised. If Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished" (1 Cor. 15:13–18).

Since Christ was raised with his body the core Christian belief is all Christians would be raised with their bodies. This body will only be different in the sense that it will never disease and be ever youthful and some other stuff like being able to time travel.

The Apostles’ Creed: "I believe in . . . the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the flesh. Amen" (Old Roman Symbol [A.D. 125]).

https://bible.org/seriespage/5-resurrection-body

"Raised to be Like Jesus
Death is not to be feared by the Christian. We shall live in a literal body just as real as the one we have now, for, says Paul: “We look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto His glorious body . . .” (Philippians 3:20, 21). The coming of our Lord in the air to take us to Heaven will necessitate a change in this purchased body of corruption. The body is as much the Lord’s purchased possession as is the soul. It is dear to Him. “The body is . . . for the Lord; and the Lord for the body” (1 Corinthians 6:13). The goal of the Gospel is to bring eternal life and immortality to all who will believe. Since the body of the saints will be “fashioned like unto His glorious body,” we may well wonder what our bodies will be like at the resurrection. John says: “We know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is” (1 John 3:2). When our Lord ascended into Heaven, He was thirty-three years of age, a young man in the strength and glory of His youth. Senility had not overtaken our Lord when He died upon the Cross for our sins. In David’s Psalm of the exalted Christ in the glory, we read: “Thou hast the dew of Thy youth” (Psalm 110:3). O wondrous thought! We shall be clothed upon with perennial youth. We shall be like Him, fashioned like unto His glorious body."

"From the Natural to the Spiritual
It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body (1 Corinthians 15:44).

It must be clearly understood that the phrase “a spiritual body” does not so much as infer that the resurrection body will be a body without substance. The word “natural” is from a word used by the Greeks when they spoke of the soul of man. We pointed out earlier in this volume how that man was made of three component parts: body, soul, and spirit. In the physical he possesses world-consciousness through his five senses. With his soul, which is the seat of his emotions, he possesses self-consciousness, thereby having knowledge that he is a personality. By his spirit, he is enabled to know God and to worship and serve Him after his human spirit has been quickened by the Holy Spirit. Our bodies while on earth are natural or soulish bodies and are engaged chiefly with the activities and the environment of earth. By nature it becomes easily adjusted to work and play. The spiritual life is not absent altogether from man, but it occupies a small part of his time and energy as compared with his soul life.

When the resurrection body is called “a spiritual body,” it is not meant that it will be composed of intangible substance. Robert S. Candlish has said: “The words natural and spiritual, as applied to the body, have respect not so much to the nature of the substance of which the body is composed, as to the uses or purposes which it is intended to serve.” On earth we are occupied to a greater degree with the natural body, while in Heaven in our resurrection bodies we will be occupied with all that pertains to God and godliness. The spiritual life of man will prevail."

There are literally hundreds of thousands of sites saying what I said about Christian beliefs.

Last edited:
Whatever you quoted here is not written in bible but inferences drawn by certain people. Here too its not said that ressurection will be of same earthly body. Ressurection will be there but it will not be the old body but a new body with same old soul. Since the new body will be devoid of all earthly desires and hunger, pain etc, it naturally means that this new body will be different in nature to our earthly body.

Had it been the case like you are claiming, a handicapped man would be ressurected as a handicapped!! That is simply not true!

if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised. If Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished" (1 Cor. 15:13–18).

Since Christ was raised with his body the core Christian belief is all Christians would be raised with their bodies. This body will only be different in the sense that it will never disease and be ever youthful and some other stuff like being able to time travel.

The Apostles’ Creed: "I believe in . . . the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the flesh. Amen" (Old Roman Symbol [A.D. 125]).

https://bible.org/seriespage/5-resurrection-body

"Raised to be Like Jesus
Death is not to be feared by the Christian. We shall live in a literal body just as real as the one we have now, for, says Paul: “We look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto His glorious body . . .” (Philippians 3:20, 21). The coming of our Lord in the air to take us to Heaven will necessitate a change in this purchased body of corruption. The body is as much the Lord’s purchased possession as is the soul. It is dear to Him. “The body is . . . for the Lord; and the Lord for the body” (1 Corinthians 6:13). The goal of the Gospel is to bring eternal life and immortality to all who will believe. Since the body of the saints will be “fashioned like unto His glorious body,” we may well wonder what our bodies will be like at the resurrection. John says: “We know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is” (1 John 3:2). When our Lord ascended into Heaven, He was thirty-three years of age, a young man in the strength and glory of His youth. Senility had not overtaken our Lord when He died upon the Cross for our sins. In David’s Psalm of the exalted Christ in the glory, we read: “Thou hast the dew of Thy youth” (Psalm 110:3). O wondrous thought! We shall be clothed upon with perennial youth. We shall be like Him, fashioned like unto His glorious body."

"From the Natural to the Spiritual
It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body (1 Corinthians 15:44).

It must be clearly understood that the phrase “a spiritual body” does not so much as infer that the resurrection body will be a body without substance. The word “natural” is from a word used by the Greeks when they spoke of the soul of man. We pointed out earlier in this volume how that man was made of three component parts: body, soul, and spirit. In the physical he possesses world-consciousness through his five senses. With his soul, which is the seat of his emotions, he possesses self-consciousness, thereby having knowledge that he is a personality. By his spirit, he is enabled to know God and to worship and serve Him after his human spirit has been quickened by the Holy Spirit. Our bodies while on earth are natural or soulish bodies and are engaged chiefly with the activities and the environment of earth. By nature it becomes easily adjusted to work and play. The spiritual life is not absent altogether from man, but it occupies a small part of his time and energy as compared with his soul life.

When the resurrection body is called “a spiritual body,” it is not meant that it will be composed of intangible substance. Robert S. Candlish has said: “The words natural and spiritual, as applied to the body, have respect not so much to the nature of the substance of which the body is composed, as to the uses or purposes which it is intended to serve.” On earth we are occupied to a greater degree with the natural body, while in Heaven in our resurrection bodies we will be occupied with all that pertains to God and godliness. The spiritual life of man will prevail."

There are literally hundreds of thousands of sites saying what I said about Christian beliefs.

Whatever you quoted here is not written in bible but inferences drawn by certain people. Here too its not said that ressurection will be of same earthly body. Ressurection will be there but it will not be the old body but a new body with same old soul. Since the new body will be devoid of all earthly desires and hunger, pain etc, it naturally means that this new body will be different in nature to our earthly body.

Had it been the case like you are claiming, a handicapped man would be ressurected as a handicapped!! That is simply not true!

These are not "certain" people. These are Catholic Church, Evangelical Church, and all other Churches as stated by the Wikipedia link I gave you which was full of citations from various theological colleges. These are Christian saints including St. Augustine and all the apostles as per Apostles Creed which is the ecumenical symbol of the faith.

All of them too base their understanding on the basis of scriptures. You won't find a single Church anywhere in the world which agrees with your belief.

This is what Bible.org has to say about itself: Since 1995 Bible.org has been the place for free Trusted Biblical Resources. We have leveraged the Internet to provide these resources to over 200 countries and territories. Every month millions of people rely on us for answers and their next step in faith. We will continue to develop these resources so that they can be used to help grow God’s kingdom.

Back
Top Bottom