What's new

Church denies funeral to Priyanka Chopra’s grandmother

Marxist

Reaction score
Country
India
Kochi: A Jacobite parish in Kerala on Sunday refused to bury the maternal grandmother of Priyanka Chopra, a leading actress of Bollywood.

Madhu Jyotsana Akhauri had died in Mumbai on June 3, aged 94. She was a freedom fighter, social activist and a former legislator.

Born Mary John in St John’s Attamangalam parish in Kumarakom, near Kottayam, the elderly woman had always expressed a desire to be buried at the same church. The actress, along with her mother, Madhu Ashok Chopra, brother Sidharth, and other members of the family came to Kottayam to attend her funeral.

However, the authorities at Kumarakom parish denied permission for the funeral, on the grounds that she had married a Hindu, reports The Times of India.

A church spokesperson told media persons that Akhauri had broken ties with the church after her marriage to a Hindu and she lived as a Hindu. “One is automatically disowned by the church under such circumstances. She could have re-joined the church while alive. But once a person is dead, we cannot accept the body for burial,” he added.

However, the funeral was finally conducted at St Thomas Jacobite Church at Ponkunnam, some 50 km east of Kumarakom, situated in the same district. It was not clear how the church allowed burial in a different parish.

Meanwhile, the actress wrote on Twitter, “Rest in peace Nani. #Kerala #FinallyBackHome”

The 33-year-old “Bajirao Mastani” star said her grandmother will always be in her heart. “Those we love don’t go away, they walk beside us everyday,” she added.

Akhouri had gone to Bihar as nurse and later married Dr Akhouri. Besides Priyanka’s mother Madhu Chopra, she is survived by two other daughters and a son.

http://mattersindia.com/2016/06/church-denies-funeral-to-priyanka-chopras-grand-mother/

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-remains-unfulfilled/articleshow/52620747.cms

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-remains-unfulfilled/articleshow/52620747.cms

dedicating this thread to christians in this forum who try teach Us tolerance ,secularism ...etc

Last edited:
I think the church was right in denying the burial grounds for this Hindu lady. Just because the country is secular we should not expect the Church to be secular. It is not a secular organisation. The burial ground of the church is for Christians and so it should remain.

Damnit, never knew Priyanka was such a communal person. FORCING Church to bury a woman who was born a Christian is nothing but persecution.

RIP Grandma. Hope you find peace in the afterlife.

I think the church was right in denying the burial grounds for this Hindu lady. Just because the country is secular we should not expect the Church to be secular. It is not a secular organisation. The burial ground of the church is for Christians and so it should remain.

she lived as christian ,was a regular visitor of churches ...This is not the first incident ,few months back a Hindu lady married to christian and converted to Christianity was denied funeral ,later she was cremated as per Hindu rituals ...Christians in this forum always lecture Hindus about tolerance when their church is showing intolerance even towards the dead

she lived as christian ,was a regular visitor of churches ...This is not the first incident ,few months back a Hindu lady married to christian and converted to Christianity was denied funeral ,later she was cremated as per Hindu rituals ...Christians in this forum always lecture Hindus about tolerance when their church is showing intolerance even towards the dead

Okay, in that case she should not have been denied her due. The church is being a vindictive bigot here.

1. I don't understand why ppl have their last wish to be buried in some church or something be done with their dead body? Does it serve any purpose after you 're dead?
I really don't care whether I will be cremated,buried or eaten by vultures. My soul will be out of the body and every bit of me has to finally become a part of the universe. Errrr my bones, nails and hairs might take some hundreds of years to decay if I'm buried rather than being cremated like the Hindus do.
@Skull and Bones what are your plans?

2. If church was adamant about not letting a woman, who had married a Hindu, to be not buried in their grave yard then they would not have gone back on their stance. Now since they have allowed Priyanka Chopra's grandmother they will have to allow everyone who marries outside their religion. Me thinks this was just a stunt to garner some limelight.

I don't mean to hurt anyone's sentiments.
I hope Priyanka's grandmother rests in peace.

Can a Hindu allow anyone to wear 'janeu' without going through proper rites? Can a Hindu allow any Muslim or Christian to be cremated in his Shamshan Ghat without following Hindu rites? Can a Muslim allow any Hindu to be buried in their graveyard?

There are certain religious rites which have to be properly followed by its followers. Since her mother had officially left Christianity and become proper Hindu, she should have logically been cremated. Had she maintained her Christian roots, nobody would have objected.

A failed attempt to demonize Christians...

Kochi: A Jacobite parish in Kerala on Sunday refused to bury the maternal grandmother of Priyanka Chopra, a leading actress of Bollywood.

Madhu Jyotsana Akhauri had died in Mumbai on June 3, aged 94. She was a freedom fighter, social activist and a former legislator.

Born Mary John in St John’s Attamangalam parish in Kumarakom, near Kottayam, the elderly woman had always expressed a desire to be buried at the same church. The actress, along with her mother, Madhu Ashok Chopra, brother Sidharth, and other members of the family came to Kottayam to attend her funeral.

However, the authorities at Kumarakom parish denied permission for the funeral, on the grounds that she had married a Hindu, reports The Times of India.

A church spokesperson told media persons that Akhauri had broken ties with the church after her marriage to a Hindu and she lived as a Hindu. “One is automatically disowned by the church under such circumstances. She could have re-joined the church while alive. But once a person is dead, we cannot accept the body for burial,” he added.

However, the funeral was finally conducted at St Thomas Jacobite Church at Ponkunnam, some 50 km east of Kumarakom, situated in the same district. It was not clear how the church allowed burial in a different parish.

Meanwhile, the actress wrote on Twitter, “Rest in peace Nani. #Kerala #FinallyBackHome”

The 33-year-old “Bajirao Mastani” star said her grandmother will always be in her heart. “Those we love don’t go away, they walk beside us everyday,” she added.

Akhouri had gone to Bihar as nurse and later married Dr Akhouri. Besides Priyanka’s mother Madhu Chopra, she is survived by two other daughters and a son.

http://mattersindia.com/2016/06/church-denies-funeral-to-priyanka-chopras-grand-mother/

dedicating this thread to christians in this forum who try teach Us tolerance ,secularism ...etc

1. I don't understand why ppl have their last wish to be buried in some church or something be done with their dead body? Does it serve any purpose after you 're dead?
I really don't care whether I will be cremated,buried or eaten by vultures. My soul will be out of the body and every bit of me has to finally become a part of the universe. Errrr my bones, nails and hairs might take some hundreds of years to decay if I'm buried rather than being cremated like the Hindus do.
@Skull and Bones what are your plans?

2. If church was adamant about not letting a woman, who had married a Hindu, to be not buried in their grave yard then they would not have gone back on their stance. Now since they have allowed Priyanka Chopra's grandmother they will have to allow everyone who marries outside their religion. Me thinks this was just a stunt to garner some limelight.

I don't mean to hurt anyone's sentiments.
I hope Priyanka's grandmother rests in peace.

Being buried is an important part of their faith. They believe to resurrect their body on the Day of Judgement the body has to be whole and buried with the feet to the East. Until that day they prefer to be with their ancestors by being buried in the same church grounds. There is no discarding of the body as worn clothes as Hindus believe.

Can a Hindu allow anyone to wear 'janeu' without going through proper rites? Can a Hindu allow any Muslim or Christian to be cremated in his Shamshan Ghat without following Hindu rites? Can a Muslim allow any Hindu to be buried in their graveyard?

Anyone can wear a Janeu, it wont be considered a Janeu by the orthodox Hindus. That is all. No one will stop you from wearing one. Yes you can cremate a Muslim or a Christian in a Shamshan Ghat. No one sits there observing whether you are following the rites or not. At the max there is an attendant and a chowkidar in the Shamshan ghat and no one else. The rites are a duty of the family members and no one else and no one is there to enforce these.

There are certain religious rites which have to be properly followed by its followers. Since her mother had officially left Christianity and become proper Hindu, she should have logically been cremated. Had she maintained her Christian roots, nobody would have objected.

A failed attempt to demonize Christians...

I can give numerous incidents of church denying permission to burials and marriage

http://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...ne-refusing-funeral-rites-church-critic-38650

http://www.ucanews.com/story-archiv...tion-for-refusing-church-burial&post_id=12299

http://www.ndtv.com/kerala-news/all...an-claims-church-stalling-his-wedding-1256192

Last edited:

A bit off-topic, but, the other day I was reading how bodies decompose just out of curiosity.

Timeline of What Happens:
24-72 hours after death Internal organs begin to decompose.
3-5 days after death Body starts bloating. Blood-containng foam begins leaking from mouth and nose. :sick:
8-10 days after death Massive decompostion of organs in abdomin accumulate massive gas; body turns from green to red becuase of blood decomposition.
Several weeks after death Nails and teeth begin to fall.
1 month after death Body starts to become fluid.

Source: http://www.enkivillage.com/how-long-does-it-take-for-a-body-to-decompose.html

So gross!! I guess Hindu cremation is a much "cleaner" way to get recycled, imo! :-)

My cousin is married to a hindu and she visits church and their daughtdaughterto ganesh wierd

Back
Top Bottom