What's new

China's software industry revenue is 5+ times of India

look at south korea same situation, naver
hi guys,
I m using china's version of mobile phone.
the "line" software has worked until recently when i couldnt open photo album:sad:
the version is 4.5

whats wrong & what to do?

Thanks in advance

That's exactly what China is trying to achieve, transfer from export-oriented economy to domestic consumption economy. The ever-growing forex reserve is a big headache for China.

That's fine, but it's also a matter of shifting your forex income from semi-skilled factory jobs to high-tech, 21st century jobs. It also means that Western companies spend money to train your people for the high-tech jobs. Also good.

If the West is stupid enough to let their own people clean toilets, while these 21st century jobs go elsewhere, why not take them? India is smart. Vietnam and Philippines are trying to get in the action, also smart. I wish Pakistan was as smart.

I also think China is smart to keep IT jobs within the country and not outsource them. Always better to train your own people and think of the long term, rather than short term (often illusory) profits.

ah!! China carters to its own population whereas India takes it money from the West. Moreover there are many Indian IT companies operating in China, Japan and Korea. Moreover, World Leader in IT service Accenture had invested in India too much that it looks more like an Indian company rather than a US.

Problem with India, they didn't penetrate their own need. Problem with China, due to language issues they find it difficult to carter western market and quality management is awful. Moreover, US and european IT firms will think twice to work with Chinese IT firm.

Astute observation

If the West is stupid enough to let their own people clean toilets, while these 21st century jobs go elsewhere, why not take them? India is smart. Vietnam and Philippines are trying to get in the action, also smart. I wish Pakistan was as smart.

China is not taking the IT jobs from the West, is this a good opportunity for Pakistans.

China brags its export economy!

What are their software exports in USD terms versus that of Indians?

Chinese software industry is just shuffling local money; India is doing a wealth transfer from rich countries to India.

Also, India is leveraging its business connections in the West into political capital. Chinese need to understand how the "democracy" game is played (In the West) or they will be hopelessly outplayed by their rivals.

You are right, but China is not interested in Software, but rather being the factory of the world, which it is.

India or no other nation comes close to it in the developing world. Airbus is opening up plant in China just so they can meet the future demand in the region. You can have the software industry running side by side, but the China is so far ahead in manufacturing every thing, that it doesn't matter to them. For India, IT Software is backbone, for China, it isn't.

Now, you have have to differentiate between IT hardware and software.
With Hardware design and manufacturing you need serious capital input, investment and above all, real, physical assets (like factories etc)
With Software, you can start a startup in your house. 10 PC/Desktops are enough to write a good enough code for the next famous iOS app. All you need is skillful programmers.

Let's compare the 19 Billion valuation of Whatsapp with say, Dassault of France (which i believe is similarly valued). You tell me, which is harder? writing the code for Whatsapp or living with decades old aerospace innovation, making products that cost 80 million USD+ a pop?

There is a reason why US is heading for another dot com bust.

Let's not forget, alibaba fetched a record high IPO, and it was started by a teacher.

China has established itself as a stable place for business, you want to get a random modem or router manufactured? No problem. How about automobile parts? Or the new Photo voltaics? As more and more Chinese come back with skills from the west, you'll see this only getting bigger. At my Uni 90% of postgraduate students in subjects like Electronics/Semiconductors/Optic/Software/VLSI design etc were Chinese, and a lot of them from mainland China.

Long story short, Software doesn't matter to China's economy as much as it does to India's.

You know, UK was once the centerpiece of industrial world, now majority of their work is shuffling money in a very coordinated manner. But then the results of their economic misery are in front of the world.

You tell me, what would you choose?

ah!! China carters to its own population whereas India takes it money from the West. Moreover there are many Indian IT companies operating in China, Japan and Korea. Moreover, World Leader in IT service Accenture had invested in India too much that it looks more like an Indian company rather than a US.

Problem with India, they didn't penetrate their own need. Problem with China, due to language issues they find it difficult to carter western market and quality management is awful. Moreover, US and european IT firms will think twice to work with Chinese IT firm.

The language problem will recede within this generation. Since a lot of the Chinese are now able to afford education abroad, they'll not only have better language skills, but rather better westernized social mobility. The competition for English schools in China is crazy, just insane. The largest number of foreign students in USA/Canada/UK are Chinese.

China brags its export economy!

What are their software exports in USD terms versus that of Indians?

Chinese software engineers are more expensive than Indian software. Those who speaks English is even much more expensive, similar as in Europe. So it is not a good option for western companies to outsource software jobs to China.

Same here. I use WPS, which has any cool features such as being directed to the last edited page when you first open the file.

This is a big plus for me as I keep editing stuff.

I also use Foxit Reader in place of Adobe. Why? Well, because it is lighter and more convenient to use.

As a principle, I will not use a Western one as long as there is Chinese (or Asian) alternative.

Foxit is an american company or chinese?o_O

You are right, but China is not interested in Software, but rather being the factory of the world, which it is.

China is not the West.

There are hundreds of millions of people in China who would be more than happy to earn the kind of money that software jobs pay. There are millions of people in the West who would happily take those jobs.

Contrary to the hype, 99% of software jobs require little skill or training. Any reasonably intelligent person can be trained up in a matter of months.

With Software, you can start a startup in your house. 10 PC/Desktops are enough to write a good enough code for the next famous iOS app. All you need is skillful programmers.

That's precisely the point!

Software is the great equalizer and enabler. Anyone with a good idea can compete with the big boys. You can't do that with most other industries.

The more people you have in your country who are comfortable with software, the greater the probability that the next great software giant will come from your country.

This is the kind of 21st century skill set which you want to spread among your people.

Foxit is an american company or chinese?

Chinese.

They have some presence in the US, I guess.

Google Chrome's built-in PDF plugin is from Foxit, e.g.

Last edited:
Foxit is an american company or chinese?o_O

of course Chinese.

China is not the West.

There are hundreds of millions of people in China who would be more than happy to earn the kind of money that software jobs pay. There are millions of people in the West who would happily take those jobs.

Contrary to the hype, 99% of software jobs require little skill or training. Any reasonably intelligent person can be trained up in a matter of months.

That's precisely the point!

Software is the great equalizer and enabler. Anyone with a good idea can compete with the big boys. You can't do that with most other industries.

The more people you have in your country who are comfortable with software, the greater the probability that the next great software giant will come from your country.

This is the kind of 21st century skill set which you want to spread among your people.

China inches above India in number of software developers; unveils new OS | Inchin Closer

According to statistics released by research firm International Data Corp (IDC), The US accounts for 19 percent of global software developers. In 2013 however, China just inched ahead of India with a 10 percent share of global software developers while India’s share is 9.8 percent.

China has more software engineers than India. The issue is, the number of software engineers in the US, CHina or India is just in the order of million. Compared to their huge population, it is small.

Last edited:
remember the lesson of britain, germany, france etc. All open markets and no IT business all using google. At least japan has yahoo japan which is joint venture with softbank and many other famous software like PlayStation network and other software made by japanese IT giants.

Firewall protects you from American monopolies
Obviously, firewall is not important to avoid monopoly and those American companies which lose the Chinese market has little connection with the firewall. You can see when Google decided to leave China in 2010, the Google's market share is about 30%, less than half of the market share of Baidu, a local search engine. Ebay and Amazon entered into China early and there is no local companies with enough power to compete with, but now Taobao and Jindong dominate the most online business other than those western pioneers. There are also some other examples, like Yahoo vs Sina, MSN vs QQ and etc. All these are not the result of the firewall but the result of the free competition because there is no firewall when the competitions between these companies occurred in China.

But I will admit that the firewall benefits some local social media companies like Youku, Renren, Weibo and etc, their competitors like Youtube, Facebook and Twitter have been banned in mainland China due to some political reasons.

But I will admit that the firewall benefits some local social media companies like Youku, Renren, Weibo and etc, their competitors like Youtube, Facebook and Twitter have been banned in mainland China due to some political reasons.

They weren't banned "due to some political reasons". They were banned because they had a strange notion that the law was just a suggestion.

IMHO, the Chinese method is more stable than the Indian in the long run.....huge domestic market ensures stability for the industry....
India's software industry is mainly catering to the need of the west and as new players like Vietnam, Philippines etc. emerge, the west will waste no time in choosing the cheapest alternative.........

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom