What's new

China's software industry revenue is 5+ times of India

Chinese software industry is just shuffling local money; India is doing a wealth transfer from rich countries to India.

Also, India is leveraging its business connections in the West into political capital. Chinese need to understand how the "democracy" game is played (In the West) or they will be hopelessly outplayed by their rivals.

How come having "the market of the whole world" yields just 1/5 the revenue of the Chinese market alone? It just doesn't add up. It's not like India has just started. They've been trying to do this for at least 15 years. And the revenue has already peaked and started to go down.

Chinese software industry is just shuffling local money; India is doing a wealth transfer from rich countries to India.

That's exactly what China is trying to achieve, transfer from export-oriented economy to domestic consumption economy. The ever-growing forex reserve is a big headache for China.

@LeveragedBuyout what's your opinion on this ?

That's exactly what China is trying to achieve, transfer from export-oriented economy to domestic consumption economy. The ever-growing forex reserve is a big headache for China.

@LeveragedBuyout what's your opinion on this ?

This specific issue isn't that related to the reform and rebalance initiative, since it will actually aggravate the current account issues (imports will be replaced by local substitutes, so the forex reserves will actually grow faster).

Generally speaking, though, it's both inevitable, and positive. Just like @FairAndUnbiased 's obsession with semiconductors, there is some merit in having Chinese software firms develop locally (to develop skills, to capture tax revenue, and to further improve the current account). That said, like in everything else, China needs to keep in mind the concept of competitive advantage, and have the work done in the most cost-effective location if outsourcing the work doesn't violate national security directives. There is a reason why mercantilism failed in the West.

I know many Chinese users disagree with me on this, but China's desire for autarky has been hugely wasteful, and the essentially free money and advantages given to the SOEs have led them to become excessively inefficient. If software development can be done locally at good value, then all is good. If software development can be purchased elsewhere for good value, then all is good. If software development is done locally merely for nationalistic reasons, then Chinese MNCs will be stunted in their global competitiveness, as their counterparts abroad take advantage of the best solutions worldwide.

We haven't even touched on IP, but I'm certain you know my stance on the issue already from our previous discussions. Lack of IP protection has helped China enormously in the "catch up" phase, but it will hurt China tremendously as China attempts to lead, and the software field is especially vulnerable to IP theft.

This specific issue isn't that related to the reform and rebalance initiative, since it will actually aggravate the current account issues (imports will be replaced by local substitutes, so the forex reserves will actually grow faster).

Generally speaking, though, it's both inevitable, and positive. Just like @FairAndUnbiased 's obsession with semiconductors, there is some merit in having Chinese software firms develop locally (to develop skills, to capture tax revenue, and to further improve the current account). That said, like in everything else, China needs to keep in mind the concept of competitive advantage, and have the work done in the most cost-effective location if outsourcing the work doesn't violate national security directives. There is a reason why mercantilism failed in the West.

I know many Chinese users disagree with me on this, but China's desire for autarky has been hugely wasteful, and the essentially free money and advantages given to the SOEs have led them to become excessively inefficient. If software development can be done locally at good value, then all is good. If software development can be purchased elsewhere for good value, then all is good. If software development is done locally merely for nationalistic reasons, then Chinese MNCs will be stunted in their global competitiveness, as their counterparts abroad take advantage of the best solutions worldwide.

We haven't even touched on IP, but I'm certain you know my stance on the issue already from our previous discussions. Lack of IP protection has helped China enormously in the "catch up" phase, but it will hurt China tremendously as China attempts to lead, and the software field is especially vulnerable to IP theft.

The essence is job provision. It is not about nationalism. We want to make our own version of software or products coz we hope the jobs can be kept in China. Especially, software engineers are professional jobs, of which the salary is well above the avg salary. These are high-quality positions. Remember, we have a huge population. To provide enough high-quality jobs is a big headache.

For the cost, american software is much more expensive than local software, it is not good value for majority of Chinese companies. For those Chinese MNCs, I think they are using the best solutions worldwide.

We are global software powerhouse.

Global software powerhouse is the USA, not India. India is global software outsourcing destination. I don't think outsourcing destination is a pride.

The essence is job provision. It is not about nationalism. We want to make our own version of software or products coz we hope the jobs can be kept in China. Especially, software engineers are professional jobs, of which the salary is well above the avg salary. These are high-quality positions. Remember, we have a huge population. To provide enough high-quality jobs is a big headache.

For the cost, american software is much more expensive than local software, it is not good value for majority of Chinese companies. For those Chinese MNCs, I think they are using the best solutions worldwide.

Global software powerhouse is the USA, not India. India is global software outsourcing destination. I don't think outsourcing destination is a pride.

Sure, Chinese companies don't need to use American software if it is too expensive, but just as American companies outsourced manufacturing and software development to capture cost advantages, Chinese companies will increasingly feel the same pressure. Does America still develop software? Undoubtedly. Does it also outsource software development, and set up R&D centers abroad? Yes. I am merely stating that if China does not also take advantage of cheaper labor costs/well-educated populations abroad, then their companies will be at an increasing disadvantage. China is already no longer the low-cost champion, and it has always been the expectation that China would move up the value chain.

The other issue is Chinese companies developing for China, while its global competitors develop for the world. This is another disadvantage of policies like the Great Firewall, which lead to isolated solutions for a peculiar market. Remember the lesson of Japan.

Sure, Chinese companies don't need to use American software if it is too expensive, but just as American companies outsourced manufacturing and software development to capture cost advantages, Chinese companies will increasingly feel the same pressure. Does America still develop software? Undoubtedly. Does it also outsource software development, and set up R&D centers abroad? Yes. I am merely stating that if China does not also take advantage of cheaper labor costs/well-educated populations abroad, then their companies will be at an increasing disadvantage. China is already no longer the low-cost champion, and it has always been the expectation that China would move up the value chain.

The other issue is Chinese companies developing for China, while its global competitors develop for the world. This is another disadvantage of policies like the Great Firewall, which lead to isolated solutions for a peculiar market. Remember the lesson of Japan.
remember the lesson of britain, germany, france etc. All open markets and no IT business all using google. At least japan has yahoo japan which is joint venture with softbank and many other famous software like PlayStation network and other software made by japanese IT giants.

Firewall protects you from American monopolies

The avg software engineer slaries in the US are still much higher than China, that is why you are outsourcing software jobs while we are keeping these jobs.

Chinese companies are developing for China coz the market is huge. When the market is nearly fully occupied, they will begin to fight in the world. It is already happening. Baidu, Tencent and Alibaba are trying to compete with US companies in global market. BTW, there are many mobile App which are among the most downloaded in the world. do you know Clean master? an mobile App, which has been top 4 in google play(note, Chinese netizens don't use google play but an Chinese google play, if they use googleplay, I think Chinese App will flood the top download list).

remember the lesson of britain, germany, france etc. All open markets and no IT business all using google. At least japan has yahoo japan which is joint venture with softbank and many other famous software like PlayStation network and other software made by japanese IT giants.

America is also an open market. The difference is that size matters. The US has it. India has it. China has it. Even Russia has it. Because the EU is a fantasy construct, the individual members of the EU do not have sufficient size to drive standards (and thus, the market). It is conceivable that if the EU really does become a superstate, it will be better positioned in the market, but the demographic picture argues against it in the long term.

America is also an open market. The difference is that size matters. The US has it. India has it. China has it. Even Russia has it. Because the EU is a fantasy construct, the individual members of the EU do not have sufficient size to drive standards (and thus, the market). It is conceivable that if the EU really does become a superstate, it will be better positioned in the market, but the demographic picture argues against it in the long term.

For Internet, the US has language and cultural advantage, it is hard to challenge at the moment.

交流能增进了解,能减少很多误会,原谅我的英语能力
Communication can enhance understanding, can reduce a lot of misunderstanding, forgive my English ability :D:D:D
so you should study more about english, a little hard to understand what did you say!

Same here. I use WPS, which has any cool features such as being directed to the last edited page when you first open the file.

This is a big plus for me as I keep editing stuff.

I also use Foxit Reader in place of Adobe. Why? Well, because it is lighter and more convenient to use.

As a principle, I will not use a Western one as long as there is Chinese (or Asian) alternative.
can WPS have chinese translation? what other chinese software are out there? Foxit I use and it's very good.

That's it.

Building a national internet and software is a must to ensure national security. China will protect its home turf until the playing field is completely even.

Even when that happens, whoever wants to play in China, will have to play according to China's rules.

look at south korea same situation, naver

Back
Top Bottom