What's new

China’s New High-Security Compound In Pakistan May Indicate Naval Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystal-Clear

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
involved in port development, has unusually high security.

0x0.jpg
0x0.jpg

The confirmed Chinese high-security compound is at[+]
H I SUTTON (IMAGERY FROM SENTINEL HUB)

Located at the western end of Pakistan’s coast, Gwadar is expected to be a major port in China’s Belt and Road Initiative. This will allow Chinese goods to shortcut through Pakistan, instead of sailing all the way around South Asia. China was first reported to be planning a naval base there as well in January 2018. While the plan has never been officially confirmed, it would be a natural path.

The high-security compound has been identified as being used by the China Communications Construction Company (CCCC Ltd). This is a majority state-owned company which is heavily involved in many Chinese civil engineering projects. While some degree of security is normal in the region, the level of security seen here is extensive.

It has anti-vehicle berms, security fences and a high wall. Sentry posts and elevated guard towers cover the perimeter between the fence and the inner wall. This suggests armed guards with rifles.

960x0.jpg
960x0.jpg

The compound has several layers of defense,[+]
H I SUTTON

China has reason to focus on security at this base. The region, near the border with Iran and Afghanistan, is facing along-standing insurgency. The Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA) seeks an independent state for the Baloch people. They carried out an attack on the Chinese Consulate in Karachi on November 23 2018, and on a hotel in Gwadar on May 11 2019. The latter attack targeted the Zaver Pearl-Continental 5-star Hotel which is the centerpiece of Chinese investment in the town.

The high security compound is not alone. There are also two smaller sites built in the last year with rows of blue-roofed buildings. It has been suggested that these might be barracks for a Chinese Marine Corps garrison. China was reported to be deploying marines there back in March 2017. But the sites lack the level of security that would be expected. Whatever their exact purpose, their location and timing suggests that they are connected to the port expansion. The sites can be seen in these tweets by Twitter user @Civil_Int:

Until now the commercial port at Gwadar appears to have been under-used. But Gwadar’s luck as a port is already changing, and not because of the Chinese base. A deal was recently made to allow Afghanistan-bound trade to use the port. The first large merchant ship, the MV Manet, landed 17,600 tons of wheat there last week. But the economic benefit of the Chinese port and potential naval base could be much larger.

Whether the Chinese naval base materializes remains to be seen. But these new sites, including the heavily defended compound, may indicate that the next phase of port construction is imminent.

Get the best of Forbes to your inbox with the latest insights from experts across the globe.
Follow me on Twitter. Check out my website or some of my other work here.

H I Sutton

Defense analyst using OSINT (Open Source Intelligence) to get to the stories first. Author of several books on Submarines, Special Forces and Narco subs. I mostly write about submarines and the world's more secretive navies.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hisutt...te-naval-plans/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

China should handover assets to Pakistan which it will deploy in that base so that Pakistan can effectively integrate it with its Assets and becomes more effective Punch. But in case of China-US Conflict, they needed to be handed over back to PLAN.

How about China declare it as a consulate? Ameican mission in Islamabad houses soo many troops which I think makes any military presence of China if significant, Dwarf in comparison. Yet, I haven't seen much highlighting of it in the international and foreign media. US troops deployed in the embassy in exccess of required numbers for Embassy protection can possibly be serving as reserve troops in case Pakistan's gov is at some sort of risk and requests their assistance or for the purpose of securing Pakistan's strategic arsenal at some point due to some reason.

The fact is, the world is irked that Pakistan and China enjoys great and close relationship despite them trying to sabotage and distant China.

They see us rollin; They hatin

China should handover assets to Pakistan which it will deploy in that base so that Pakistan can effectively integrate it with its Assets and becomes more effective Punch. But in case of China-US Conflict, they needed to be handed over back to PLAN.
Pakistan don't have the leadership and courage. Our chootiyas always say "Jung kisi cheez ka hal nahi" and loose all the advantage. So its better they don't hand anything to our side

How about China declare it as a consulate? Ameican mission in Islamabad houses soo many troops which I think makes any military presence of China if significant, Dwarf in comparison. Yet, I haven't seen much highlighting of it in the international and foreign media. US troops deployed in the embassy in exccess of required numbers for Embassy protection can possibly be serving as reserve troops in case Pakistan's gov is at some sort of risk and requests their assistance or for the purpose of securing Pakistan's strategic arsenal at some point due to some reason.

The fact is, the world is irked that Pakistan and China enjoys great and close relationship despite them trying to sabotage and distant China.

They see us rollin; They hatin
who the F gave them the permission?????

Do you want to become collateral damage in China-US Conflict ? your leaders ain't that stupid

It is good to have them here. It will help our Naval assets..especially new subs which comes from China..

Do you want to become collateral damage in China-US Conflict ? your leaders ain't that stupid
There wont be any war its cold war between china and us they want India and china conflict so they can invole whole world like they did with soviet. it aint happen bud, China can lose yes its a possibility but it wont be china only who will get hurt.

Makes no sense. There's nothing American troops can do within Pakistan that ours cannot.
They're here to protect their staff long enough for extraction or fight through a hostile population to extraction. They think we might be Libyafied at any time.

Makes no sense. There's nothing American troops can do within Pakistan that ours cannot.
They're here to protect their staff long enough for extraction or fight through a hostile population to extraction. They think we might be Libyafied at any time.
It doesn't but it is something they believed in the first decade of this century. Perhaps they might have changed their thinking but I still think their opinion/perception hasn't changed much.

It doesn't but it is something they believed in the first decade of this century. Perhaps they might have changed their thinking but I still think their opinion/perception hasn't changed much.
They could very well have a task force for attempting to capture our strategic assets. The part I have the problem with is the government requesting it.

you mean when the begger asks you for elms , you hand him over your ferrari!

where doe that happen?

in podinay kei riassat maybe.......................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom