What's new

China will soon have the warship with laser weaponry

All I know is that the last time China failed to research the "unproven" firearms technology the country suffered a century of humiliation.

Researching does not mean deploying. I'm pretty sure laser weapons is under development, but I doubt it will be combat-ready this year.

Speaking of deploying untested technology, just check out the Ross rifle

Solar panels will provide a laughable amount of power in relationship to their size.

edit I just went to check figures: The power density of the sun's radiation on the surface of the earth is approximately 1.4 kW/m2 (surprisingly high, but i guess under optimum conditions.)

Most photovoltaic (PV) panels convert only about 20% of the captured solar energy to electricity.

100kw laser therefore would require solar panel at least the size of a 20m by 20m square (granted though that you can store energy beforehand and that the weapon won't be on all the time.)

Combine it with a thermoelectric material to absorb the excess heat produced and a large capacitor and it could theoretically power at least targetting, computers, lighting and life support.

Some posters are saying that the picture in question is used to hold air defence missiles.

that would be the single biggest CIWS gun holder i have ever seen

Probably for CIWS

Here is the US one for comparison

Img245580267.jpg

What's with the yellow to white gradient background?

Back
Top Bottom