What's new

China will soon have the warship with laser weaponry

I like this laser gun.
026233517138ca818d5430ea.jpg

Yes,it is.The pictures are so far I can find from the intenet which are all the light and soft kill laser equipments.Concerning the heavy and hard kill ones,it might take sometime to get the pictures.

Don't bother looking for Chinese hard-kill laser weapons. The PLAN is keeping the whole thing under wrap right now. How many pictures of the J-20 did we see before the thing flew a month ago?

China is also working on nuclear powered CVN with the electromagnetic catapult systems. Hopefully this one is comparable to the Ford class supercarrier.

sounds like we'll be seeing nuclear destroyers (even saying that sounds cool) coming out of Jiangnan Shipyards soon.

Nuclear powered vessels are expensive. In all of the countries only US has embraced nuclear power for all her submarines, and even then nuclear power is limited to submarines, aircraft carrier and exception of large ships like USS long beach cruisers. Even the large amphibious assault ships are non-nuclear powered.

So unless they have a special class of large destroyers or even cruisers for aircraft carrier battle group defense, or there is cheaper way of making nuclear reactors I don't think nuclear power will be fitted on destroyers.

Nuclear powered vessels are expensive. In all of the countries only US has embraced nuclear power for all her submarines, and even then nuclear power is limited to submarines, aircraft carrier and exception of large ships like USS long beach cruisers. Even the large amphibious assault ships are non-nuclear powered.

So unless they have a special class of large destroyers or even cruisers for aircraft carrier battle group defense, or there is cheaper way of making nuclear reactors I don't think nuclear power will be fitted on destroyers.

Peishens said that the large destroyers won't be nuclear powered but will have major modifications done to the electrical systems.

According to them, China's indigenous nuclear powered CVN must be huge, no less than 100kt. Otherwise, there would not have enough electric source power for the electromagnetic catapults.

the maintainance savings would be immense, plus it would reduce china's dependence on the US controlled chokepoint at Singapore. the only problem is the technology, are we able to make a nuclear reactor on a destroyer? perhaps molten salt reactors will be the answer.

why not install solar panels onto a destroyer? it's already extremely non-stealthy from the air and solar power could be stored in capacitors or batteries. at least it should be able to power 1-2 critical systems.

Solar panels will provide a laughable amount of power in relationship to their size.

edit I just went to check figures: The power density of the sun's radiation on the surface of the earth is approximately 1.4 kW/m2 (surprisingly high, but i guess under optimum conditions.)

Most photovoltaic (PV) panels convert only about 20% of the captured solar energy to electricity.

100kw laser therefore would require solar panel at least the size of a 20m by 20m square (granted though that you can store energy beforehand and that the weapon won't be on all the time.)

Solar panels will provide a laughable amount of power in relationship to their size.

edit I just went to check figures: The power density of the sun's radiation on the surface of the earth is approximately 1.4 kW/m2 (surprisingly high, but i guess under optimum conditions.)

Most photovoltaic (PV) panels convert only about 20% of the captured solar energy to electricity.

100kw laser therefore would require solar panel at least the size of a 20m by 20m square (granted though that you can store energy beforehand and that the weapon won't be on all the time.)

Yeah don't let the hippies fool you. Nuclear power trumps solar in most situations.

Not yet doesn't mean never. Just because China lags behind the United States in most areas doen't mean that China lags behind the U.S. in every area.

Deploying unproven technology too early will create problems. And you don't want problems on an active service destroyer.

It is not safe for China to leap forward too fast

Deploying unproven technology too early will create problems. And you don't want problems on an active service destroyer.

It is not safe for China to leap forward too fast

All I know is that the last time China failed to research the "unproven" firearms technology the country suffered a century of humiliation.

Back
Top Bottom