What's new

China shows off new kit at Hong Kong garrison open days

Saifullah Sani

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
1526482_-_main.jpg

The Hong Kong garrison of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) displayed several new pieces of military equipment at camp open days on 29 June and 1 July. New equipment is often fielded first by Hong Kong's garrison before being introduced more widely into PLA service.

While not a new configuration, a Z-9WA helicopter armed with two 23 mm cannons mounted on pylons was deployed in Hong Kong for the first time. Previous Z-9 variants seen in the territory include the utility Z-9B, command-and-control Z-9ZH, and a Z-9WA fitted with rockets and anti-tank missiles.

Also newly displayed were small arms: the Type 11 pistol; Type 06 (QSW06) silenced pistol; and Type 10 (QBU10) anti-materiel rifle. The first two are both 5.8 mm calibre, with the former possessing an eight-round cartridge and the latter 20 rounds. The employment of 5.8 mm ammunition provides uniformity with Type 95-1 assault rifles now in widespread use with Hong Kong-based soldiers.

p1526483.jpg

The Type 10 (QBU10) 12.7 mm anti-materiel rifle was seen for the first time in the hands of the Hong Kong garrison. (Gordon Arthur)

The 13.3 kg QBU10 rifle is of 12.7 mm calibre, and the PLA cites a range of 1,000 m for human target, and 1,500 m for materiel targets. The 1.38 m-long rifle was shown fitted with an infrared sight.

The Hong Kong Garrison's first two Type 056 Jiangdao-class corvettes - Huizhou (596) and Qinzhou (597) - were displayed at Stonecutters Naval Base, a year after their commissioning. Despite their induction, the PLA has retained the older Houjian-class missile patrol boat in Hong Kong.

p1526484.jpg

The Type 056 corvette Huizhou (596) was commissioned into the PLA's Hong Kong garrison in July 2013. (Gordon Arthur)

Several new logistics vehicles were exhibited for the first time. Dong Feng EQ2102J-based trucks were shown in field kitchen, generator, and field shower configurations. Of interest was the EQ2050 chassis presented as a disease prevention vehicle. This Humvee lookalike had a roof-mounted smoke generator for spraying anti-bacterial or chemical agents to counter germs or insects.

p1526485.jpg

This Dong Feng EQ2050 vehicle is earmarked for disease prevention, although it would also have an obvious decontamination use. (Gordon Arthur)

The PLA also conducted counter-terrorism drills on two open days that coincided with a number of pro-democracy protests, including a massive street march on 1 July. PLA soldiers on patrol at military camps were seen carrying riot shields and pepper spray for the first time.

China shows off new kit at Hong Kong garrison open days - IHS Jane's 360

anti material riffle ... what is that for????

Is it possible to mount 4 ATGM on one pylon and one 23mm gun on the other side?

Also newly displayed were small arms: the Type 11 pistol; Type 06 (QSW06) silenced pistol; and Type 10 (QBU10) anti-materiel rifle. The first two are both 5.8 mm calibre, with the former possessing an eight-round cartridge and the latter 20 rounds. The employment of 5.8 mm ammunition provides uniformity with Type 95-1 assault rifles now in widespread use with Hong Kong-based soldiers.

Oh man, I'd love to own some of these guns. :smitten:

Too bad Hong Kong has such strict gun ownership laws!

The anti-materiel rifle[1] (AMR)

Characteristics

This weapon is a bolt-action .50 caliber rifle that is designed for use against military equipment (or "materiel" in military language). The AMR is similar in design principle to that of a sniper rifle, delivering a high power shot at long distances with great accuracy, although chambered in a larger caliber for hardened targets. As such, the AMR has extremely high damage and lowweapons spread and comes pre-equipped with a scope. The magnification level of the scope is 3.13x for this weapon. Offsetting this is its slow rate of fire, resulting in a low damage-per-second and that the weapon itself weighs 20 pounds, making it one of the heaviest shoulder fired weapons in the game.

Additionally, its .50 MG ammunition is very uncommon, very expensive, and is heavy if carried in bulk on hardcore mode; a full magazine weighs two pounds without the Pack Rat perk, which reduces it to one pound.

When fired from the hip (without aiming), the resulting recoil from the weapon's large caliber will result in the user being pushed backwards (evident in third-person view). Aiming down the scope will prevent this.

Durability

The anti-materiel rifle can fire a total of about 470 shots, the equivalent of 59 reloads, from full condition before breaking.

Anti-materiel rifle - The Fallout wiki - Fallout: New Vegas and more

The origins of the anti-materiel rifle go back to the First World War, during which the first anti-tank rifles appeared. While modern tanks and most other armored vehicles are too well protected to be affected by anti-materiel rifles, the guns are still effective for attacking unarmored or lightly armored vehicles. They can also be used against stationed enemy aircraft, missile launchers, radar equipment, small watercraft, communications equipment, crew served weapons and similar targets. Their value is in being able to precisely target and disable enemy assets from long range for a relatively low cost.

Vidhwansak (Sanskrit:"The Destroyer") is an Indian multi-caliber anti-materiel rifle (AMR) or large-caliber sniper rifle manufactured by Ordnance Factory Tiruchirappalli. It can be used in the anti-materiel role for destroying enemy bunkers, lightly armoured vehicles, radar systems, communication equipment, parked aircraft, fuel storage facilities, etc. It is also effective in long range sniping, counter sniping and ordnance disposal roles.

upload_2014-7-10_13-40-0.jpeg

The anti-materiel rifle[1] (AMR)

Characteristics

This weapon is a bolt-action .50 caliber rifle that is designed for use against military equipment (or "materiel" in military language). The AMR is similar in design principle to that of a sniper rifle, delivering a high power shot at long distances with great accuracy, although chambered in a larger caliber for hardened targets. As such, the AMR has extremely high damage and lowweapons spread and comes pre-equipped with a scope. The magnification level of the scope is 3.13x for this weapon. Offsetting this is its slow rate of fire, resulting in a low damage-per-second and that the weapon itself weighs 20 pounds, making it one of the heaviest shoulder fired weapons in the game.

Additionally, its .50 MG ammunition is very uncommon, very expensive, and is heavy if carried in bulk on hardcore mode; a full magazine weighs two pounds without the Pack Rat perk, which reduces it to one pound.

When fired from the hip (without aiming), the resulting recoil from the weapon's large caliber will result in the user being pushed backwards (evident in third-person view). Aiming down the scope will prevent this.

Durability

The anti-materiel rifle can fire a total of about 470 shots, the equivalent of 59 reloads, from full condition before breaking.

Anti-materiel rifle - The Fallout wiki - Fallout: New Vegas and more

its mean a .50 cal sniper is also called anti materiel rifle? am i right

Wondering if the Hong Kong Garrison has Type LG-5 sniper grenade launcher with 40 rounds of 40mm programable ammunitions:

164724o55sl34l3xjusr6j.jpg

164730tf7zx7gy2jxn0gko.jpg

164737huzzuuntn88nm29u.jpg

164744e5nunny14u5b9dwd.jpg

164751h8x2x9c792xxair2.jpg

Or LG-5 is for export only?

if you're ever in the usa, i'll take you to the gun range i go to. :)
you know I never really got the gun thing. Why do it? With no enemies you are really just shooting something in the air.

But then again I like drifting, and with no where to go I'm really just driving in circles.

What's the appeal there.

you know I never really got the gun thing. Why do it? With no enemies you are really just shooting something in the air.

But then again I like drifting, and with no where to go I'm really just driving in circles.

What's the appeal there.

Its tradition and remember that even before U.S. was born it was a wild world where empires were fighting over the New World and Native Americans were hostile to them. And it has its use in hunting. As well as protection from a govt. if it attempts to do anything stupid against the populace.

What's the appeal there.
There is a skill required to do anything, and shooting is no different in that respect than any activity that demands physicality and personal sacrifice in order to gain said skill.

Just in case you do not know, all the major track and field events in the Olympics were inspired by skills in warfare, as in physical conditioning and skills by the infantry soldiers. What military and combat necessity do you think inspired the hurdles ? How about the javelin or the discus ? Archery is obvious enough, right ? Do you see the appeal of firearms now ?

Back
Top Bottom