What's new

China has built 490 Taihang engines so far

To build the turbofan engine is an extremely painful experience.

Otherwise, France wouldn't give up to reverse engineer the CFM56 core, and Japan is still struggling to build a jet engine for the F-4.

France snecma is among the top 3 best turbofan engine makers in the world. Though not up to par with U.S and U.K as of yet.

when will taihang marry j-10b en-masse? If that didnt happen with the following batch...taihang has yet to prove its meddle.

when will taihang marry j-10b en-masse? If that didnt happen with the following batch...taihang has yet to prove its meddle.

J-10B are waiting for the WS-10B to materialise with 140KN thrust. Good new is recent rumour is it just passed all the test and going for production. J-11B, J-16, are twin engine and do not require the more powerful WS-10B.

If J-10B can't achieved super cruise, it can't satisfy PLAAF.

The 1st batch seems to have adopted the Al-31FN M3 (with 137 kN of thrust), while later batches may sooner or later incorporate the WS-10, the later variants of which produce around the same thrust as the Al-31FN-M3.

J-10B are waiting for the WS-10B to materialise with 140KN thrust. Good new is recent rumour is it just passed all the test and going for production. J-11B, J-16, are twin engine and do not require the more powerful WS-10B.

If J-10B can't achieved super cruise, it can't satisfy PLAAF.

There is no evidence that supercruise is a definite requirement for the Chinese. The WS-10B also doesn't have 140 kN of thrust.

I think you should better keep the updated news in check.

WS-10A has finished the testing on J-10B

There is no evidence that supercruise is a definite requirement for the Chinese. The WS-10B also doesn't have 140 kN of thrust.

Nah, it is close to 140kN.

1.jpg

The biggest and most frustrating part of building a jet engine is time. There is no shortcut. No other way to go around it. You have to build it, test it, let it run for years in order to gain flight data to know whether your engine is as good as when you test. This is why it takes at least 30 years for any country to develop an engine and maturing. We start developing our engine in the 80s.. so it is time our engine is slowly maturing. As I say, once we master the upper tier jet engine WS-15 which right now only US and Russia are capable of independently build, the the sky is the limit. We will join a very exclusive club of high-performance jet engine for 5th gen aircraft.

True. In fact many will say building an operational reliable mass produced engine is the most technologically challenging thing to do. It shows how advanced a country's overall industrial base is and its level of development/experience. Its no coincidence only the U.S, U.K,FRANCE , GERMANY and RUSSIA (almost the P5 powers bar China) have been able to build a world renowned/reliable operational engine. So china trying to break into this field/elite club is indeed commendable. Wishing all the best to China.

It will take alot of time,but at the end it will be worth it. Afterall, mastering the art of building a reliable engine is still the archilles hill of China, as it has to import alot of engines from we in europe and Russia to power its aircrafts and naval warships. So being able to mass produce its engines domestically/indigeniously will indeed be a huge boost to China. :):cheers:
Much Much Money,Long Long Development Time,Excellent and Complete Industrial capability. That is why engine is the Crown of Industry. I doubt Germany can make jet engine,never heard of it.
In my view:1.USA 2.UK 3.Russia 4.France 5.China,but I am sure after we solve the problem of 0 to 1,we can do much better of 1 to N. We will catch up quickly.

Last edited:
Much Much Money,Long Long Development Time,Excellent and Complete Industrial capability. That is why engine is the Crown of Industry. I doubt Germany can make jet engine,never heard of it.
In my view:1.USA 2.UK 3.Russia 4.France 5.China,but I am sure after we solve the problem of 0 to 1,we can do much better of 1 to N. We will catch up quickly.

Well i have no doubt tha China will catch up, since it has all it takes to build a reliable proven turbofan engine. But it will take quite alot of time. However every country has to start from somewhere.
For example British engines were also widely licensed in the US after WWII. As i said earlier, our most famous design, the Nene would also power the USSR's/soviet union jet aircraft after a technology exchange. The soviet later copied it and started exporting them without our consent, and when we demanded compensation for patent infridgement they gave us the middle finger, soviet bastards. Lol
Moreover, American designs would not come fully into their own until the 1960s, before that they were also relying on our designs. So i dont think we should make fun of China , japan or any other country who is struggling to build a reliabke turbofan engine, its not an easy task, its the technologically most challeneging tech/expertise to master and requires alot of time,money, capital, skilled engineers and experience.:)

As for Germany, are you kidding me bro? All western countries and soviets(bar maybe britain) all learned from the beginning engine tech from the Germans. The allies all studied german engine tech after the nazis surrendered. The He 178 was the world's first jet plane built by germany. So Following the end of the war German jet aircraft and jet engines were extensively studied by the victorious allies and contributed to work on early Soviet and US jet fighters. An examole of this can be seen from the legacy of the axial-flow engine as practically all jet engines on fixed-wing aircraft have had some inspiration from german design.

Moreover, the V2500 turbofan engine is jointly produced by the U.S.A., U.K.and Germany . It powers airbis planes, with over 5000 orders to date. German company MTU also makes grat engines like the PW1100G-JM Turbo Fan Engine whic powers Airbus A20s. In fact many german engines are license built in china and helps powrrs many chinese military equipements from naval warships to tanks etc. Germany is among the tier 1 engines makers worldwide.You shoud also check out The Messerschmitt Me 262 of Germany,it was the world's first operational jet-powered fighter aircraft, and was faster than any allied fighters, even faster than our gloser meteor(which happened to be britains first fighter jet, and the Allies' only operational jet aircraft during the Second World War.)

If there is any country i respect the most in Europe and even the world is the bundenstag, they are second to none in all fields and everything they set their sights on doing. Not even the U.S can match them in some fields. 'Deutschland uber alles,' :cheers:

Last edited:
Well i have no doubt tha China will catch up, since it has all it takes to build a reliable proven turbofan engine. But it will take quite alot of time. However every country has to start from somewhere.
For example British engines were also widely licensed in the US after WWII. As i said earlier, our most famous design, the Nene would also power the USSR's/soviet union jet aircraft after a technology exchange. The soviet later copied it and started exporting them without our consent, and when we demanded compensation for patent infridgement they gave us the middle finger, soviet bastards. Lol
Moreover, American designs would not come fully into their own until the 1960s, before that they were also relying on our designs. So i dont think we should make fun of China , japan or any other country who is struggling to build a reliabke turbofan engine, its not an easy task, its the technologically most challeneging tech/expertise to master and requires alot of time,money, capital, skilled engineers and experience.:)

As for Germany, are you kidding me bro? All western countries and soviets(bar maybe britain) all learned from the beginning engine tech from the Germans. The allies all studied german engine tech after the nazis surrendered. The He 178 was the world's first jet plane built by germany. So Following the end of the war German jet aircraft and jet engines were extensively studied by the victorious allies and contributed to work on early Soviet and US jet fighters. An examole of this can be seen from the legacy of the axial-flow engine as practically all jet engines on fixed-wing aircraft have had some inspiration from german design.

Moreover, the V2500 turbofan engine is jointly produced by the U.S.A., U.K.and Germany . It powers airbis planes, with over 5000 orders to date. German company MTU also makes grat engines like the PW1100G-JM Turbo Fan Engine whic powers Airbus A20s. In fact many german engines are license built in china and helps powrrs many chinese military equipements from naval warships to tanks etc. Germany is among the tier 1 engines makers worldwide.You shoud also check out The Messerschmitt Me 262 of Germany,it was the world's first operational jet-powered fighter aircraft, and was faster than any allied fighters, even faster than our gloser meteor(which happened to be britains first fighter jet, and the Allies' only operational jet aircraft during the Second World War.)

If there is any country i respect the most in Europe and even the world is the bundenstag, they are second to none in all fields and everything they set their sights on doing. Not even the U.S can match them in some fields. 'Deutschland uber alles,' :cheers:

F119 from the US, AL31 from Russia, WS-10(CFM56 core) from China

Please show something from UK,France and Germany in the same level.

We do no need to bring F135,AL41,WS-15 yet...

Let's focus on Military Turbine Engine only!

Back
Top Bottom