What's new

China economy boost the Navy, 6th 052C DDG finished next 055

PLAN does have formidable fleet of boats to say the least. I am interetsted to know that how many times a year PLAN makes long patrol in fleet formation? Apart from anti piracy mission in our neighbourhood.
Gulf of Aden "Anti-piracy Mission" for example, each 4x months changed the fleet. Now it's 18th PLAN fleet, always 1x DDG + 1x FFG + 1x LPD or 1x Ocean Supply Ship.

Since 2008.12, each year China sent 3x PLAN fleets patrolling in Gulf of Aden. As far as i knew 1/3 PLAN warships ever visited Gulf of Aden.:-)

Last edited:
In my view, I can see that these , coupled with the frigates of the PLAN, are formidable, beautiful ships of the line. The phrase that comes to mind is "The Great White Fleet". How impressive, truly.

Wouldn't it be awesome if someday JMSDF and PLAN can conduct joint exercise or joint patrols. :-)
The pic from PLAN East Sea Fleet, one of their military port.

I think the most valuable pics in this thread, it's JN and DaLian shipyard pics. China has 2x such big shipyards, it's just time problem to build many good ships. JN and DaLian shipyards stand for the strength of China shipbuilding industry.

1. Big shipyard: JiangNan (JN)、DaLian building 052D/055(future) DDG and A.C
2. Medium shipyard: HuangPu、ShangHai、LiaoNing building 056/054A/054B(future) FFG.
3. Sub shipyard:WuHan、HuLu Dao building 039B/039C sub and 093/094/095/096 nuclear sub.

Last edited:
I think the valuable pics in this thread, it's JN and DaLian shipyard pics. China has 2x such large shipyards, it's just time problem to build many good ships.

also cash, America spend 140 billion on the Navy + 40 billion on marines, and 240 billion on army, in 2011 or 12.

Yea, to reach American level, we need that, but we have no money for that, yet....

also cash, America spend 140 billion on the Navy + 40 billion on marines, and 240 billion on army, in 2011 or 12.

Yea, to reach American level, we need that, but we have no money for that, yet....
Did China need 60x DDGs and 11x A.Cs like U.S ??? NO, but i think at least 30x 052C/D & 055 we still need to replace 10+x old & weak 053H.

Until to 2014, China built 6x 052C DDGs then say ByeBye to 052C class, built 20x 054A FFGs then say ByeBye to 054A class ... China has shipbuilding tech and enough money can invest to design & build better ships, new & powerful ships to replace old & weak ships like 053H (ever built many in 1980s~1990s).

I say, now it's time to update the quality of PLAN's ships which built during 1980s~1990s poor time.

Building is GOOD ~! :cheers:

Last edited:
I think the valuable pics in this thread, it's JN and DaLian shipyard pics. China has 2x such large shipyards, it's just time problem to build many good ships.

During my years in the JMSDF, I do remember when we conducted a naval patrol from Tokara Gunto to the point about within the EEZ of the PRC (further to the west was the city of Ning Po of China). We were hailed by a Type 052 of the People's Liberation Army Navy , which reminded us, "Japanese Ship Chokai, you are near the vicinity of the maritime border of the People's Republic of China. Please respect." As we hailed them back, I remember the communique between our Chinese counterpart being very respectful.

Its been many years since I was in active service in the JMSDF, but I do believe that the professionalism of Chinese naval personnel is the same. I have personal respect for the PLAN due to this and whenever I see a Type 052 destroyer of the PLAN , I am always reminded of that event.

JMSDF and PLAN vessels do contact each other regularly during patrols on each others' maritime border. There have never been any clashes, but honest and respect on each other's presence. I think it will remain so long as both our navies do not make unnecessary provocations.

Did China need 60x DDGs and 11x A.Cs like U.S ??? NO, but i think at least 30x 052C/D & 055 we still need to replace 10+x old & weak 053H

I do have a question @cnleio , as far as I remember, the PLAN has still around 13 active Type 053 ships of the line. Do you think that the PLAN expects to scrap these after they are retired ? Personally, I think it would be a waste if all the Type 053s were to be scrapped, mothballed since it still has a very potent capability. If they are to be replaced by Type 054 , they (Type 053 variants) should at least be put on reserve duty for coastal defense. Or if the budget for the Navy is too much, should be transferred to the Coast Guard / China Maritime Force for interdiction duties.

Btw , in JMSDF lingo, we refer the Type 053 as -- do you know the meaning of this character ? :-)

I do have a question @cnleio , as far as I remember, the PLAN has still around 13 active Type 053 ships of the line. Do you think that the PLAN expects to scrap these after they are retired ? Personally, I think it would be a waste if all the Type 053s were to be scrapped, mothballed since it still has a very potent capability. If they are to be replaced by Type 054 , they (Type 053 variants) should at least be put on reserve duty for coastal defense. Or if the budget for the Navy is too much, should be transferred to the Coast Guard / China Maritime Force for interdiction duties.

Btw , in JMSDF lingo, we refer the Type 053 as -- do you know the meaning of this character ? :-)
yes coast guard duty, though a lot of the weapons will be removed, while some other systems will be updated. Sometimes it's also sold.

yes coast guard duty, though a lot of the weapons will be removed, while some other systems will be updated. Sometimes it's also sold.

I am glad to hear that. The Type 053s are, in my opinion, very capable ships. I remember during my training days we are tested to remember the different types of ships of the PLAN. Out of the ships listed, I was always drawn to the Type 053. She is, truly, a beautiful ship. Sad to see her retired. She served many years in defense of the People's Republic of China. Honorably.

Yes, 053 is too old but PLAN still let them serve in the line coz during 1990s China lack tech & money to update PLAN ships.

Future for these retired 053 ships:
1. Donate to Navy museum
2. Some sell to foreign Navy of developing nations with very low price
3. Some remove weapons and join China Coast Guard in SCS

in JMSDF lingo, we refer the Type 053 as
I guess it must be like sh!t, it's truth. :( Chinese idea is very simple, if 053 has no quality we just built strength in Numbers, the reason why China built many 053 in 1990s ... now all wait to replace by 052C/D 055 and 054B in the future.

Last edited:
I am glad to hear that. The Type 053s are, in my opinion, very capable ships. I remember during my training days we are tested to remember the different types of ships of the PLAN. Out of the ships listed, I was always drawn to the Type 053. She is, truly, a beautiful ship. Sad to see her retired. She served many years in defense of the People's Republic of China. Honorably.

LOL referring 053 as melon? By the way what was the distance between the 052 and the ship you were on it?

LOL referring 053 as melon?

Yes, melon! That's why i always remembered its silhouette because of the name.

Yes, 053 is too old but PLAN still let them serve in the line coz during 1990s China lack tech & money to update PLAN ships.
Future for these retired 053 ships:
1. Donate to Navy museum
2. Some sell to foreign Navy of developing nations with very low price
3. Some remove weapons and join China Coast Guard in SCS

That's a good decision to keep some at least in the Coast Guard. I personally think that the PLAN should not sell any of these , but keep them part of the strategic naval reserve. These ships , tho old, are time tested. They are like the Oliver Perry Class frigates of the United States Navy. Old, but powerful. It may not be an 'advanced' ship of the line, but still, can hold its own fort.

I guess it must be like sh!t, it's truth. :( Chinese idea is very simple, if 053 has no quality we just built strength in Numbers, the reason why PLAN built many 053 in 1990s ... now all wait to replace by 052C/D 055 and 054B in the future.

The Type 052C and D variants as well as the Type 054 frigate are handsome ships in my opinion. They'll make a wonderful addition to the People's Liberation Army Navy.

The Type 052C and D variants as well as the Type 054 frigate are handsome ships in my opinion. They'll make a wonderful addition to the People's Liberation Army Navy.
DDG: 052C-class update to 052D-class
FFG: 054A-class update to 054B-class, China had built 20x 054A FFGs and now also closed 054A-class like 052C-class. Due to recent 20x years China make progress on AESA radar research & desgin like type346 for 052C and type346A for 052D, future new Navy FFG/DDG will install new AESA radar system. 054A FFG update to 054B-class with small AESA radars.

DDG: 052C-class update to 052D-class
FFG: 054A-class update to 054B-class, China had built 20x 054A FFGs and now also closed 054A-class like 052C-class. Due to recent 20x years China make progress on AESA radar research & desgin like type346 for 052C and type346A for 052D, future new Navy FFG/DDG will install new AESA radar system. 054A FFG update to 054B-class with small AESA radars.

Sugoi !

The status quo is slowing changing, advantage is shifting to our side. When we have enough 052D, 055, ACs and nuclear subs, we will squeeze the US military presence out of East Asia, then Japan would be more isolated.

Lord have mercy on you. So what's the time frame? 2050? And I see your biggest assumption is.....the USN will NOT be building even a Speed Boat. Let alone AC's?

You realize you are building a 1970's NAVY right? Excessive amounts of carriers and a barrage of ships may be good for littoral waters and to protect the trade route due to presence, in War time, the concepts and the doctrines have changed. You are still stuck in 1980's and 1990's doctrine from the large display of ships, its obvious.

The future is X-47's flying undetected and using Hypersonic weapons (also undetected) from hundreds of miles away with unmanned Fighter - Bombers and some -35's seeing anything that flies 800 miles away and sharing that with other assets. Can you feel the future.....?

The Type 054 A,

2009-PLAN-Type054A-03.jpg

00254055a4ab4e14613ac30ep1.jpg

1288869450237.jpg

2009-PLAN-Type054A-01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom