What's new

Calculus created in India 250 years before Newton: study

LOL...typical Indian response when challenged. Since I was the one to set you up, the burden is not on me but for you to find out the correct word for hubris, or a very close match. Otherwise back off.

I'm waiting for an answer, do a couple of google searches or ask your Ivy league educated grandmother in India? H U B R I S

The sanskrit word for HUBRIS is ALL'AHHH. Did they not teach you that in your madrassa ? ....or was the syllabus only arabic ?

so where is Greece now,borrowing money they cant pay back?

I guess Greeks defied logic themselves.

Why are you wrestling with a PIG ? :angel:

Guys kid learned a new word today, congrats now please go back to pleasing your Arab masters :rofl::rofl:

How do they do that ....by bending over ? :azn:

In this case he has two masters, one Arab and another American.

The American gives him a cavity search every-time he is in an American Airport because of his Muslim name and Arabic looks :cry:

So what? Could be true or false, but the solid fact remains is that Newton was the first one who came up with Calculus.

So what? Could be true or false, but the solid fact remains is that Newton was the first one who came up with Calculus.

Do you spot a contradiction? ;)

If it was discovered previously as well, then Newton was not the first. Though one can't deny his genius at all. He has shaped the modern world with his "universal theories" that for the first time linked the mundane world with the heavens and proved that both are governed by the same laws.

Do you spot a contradiction? ;)

If it was discovered previously as well, then Newton was not the first. Though one can't deny his genius at all. He has shaped the modern world with his "universal theories" that for the first time linked the mundane world with the heavens and proved that both are governed by the same laws.

No, I did NOT lay out any contradiction in here my friend. But the whole world accredits Newton on it.

Nothing against you or India personally, I'm just saying :P

Do not try to troll with out any facts and just provide facts, Don't you think you should provide facts for your assertions rather than your pathetic rants about great civilization just like hate infested religious radicals, do like some lost guys here with out any back ground.

The Ancient Greeks, Romans and before that, the Sumerians, Assyrians, Egyptians, Babylonians, Hittites and other great ancient civilizations did a lot more to advance Western science and technology than any Hindus possibly could. Greeks invented logic, the very word is of Greek origin.

You need to read real history, won't fly too far if you keep parroting the hindutva propaganda in CBSE textbooks.

Researchers in England may have finally settled the centuries-old debate over who gets credit for the creation of calculus.

For years, English scientist Isaac Newton and German philosopher Gottfried Leibniz both claimed credit for inventing the mathematical system sometime around the end of the seventeenth century.

Now, a team from the universities of Manchester and Exeter says it knows where the true credit lies — and it's with someone else completely.

The "Kerala school," a little-known group of scholars and mathematicians in fourteenth century India, identified the "infinite series" — one of the basic components of calculus — around 1350.

Dr. George Gheverghese Joseph, a member of the research team, says the findings should not diminish Newton or Leibniz, but rather exalt the non-European thinkers whose contributions are often ignored.

"The beginnings of modern maths is usually seen as a European achievement but the discoveries in medieval India between the fourteenth and sixteenth centuries have been ignored or forgotten," he said. "The brilliance of Newton's work at the end of the seventeenth century stands undiminished — especially when it came to the algorithms of calculus.

"But other names from the Kerala School, notably Madhava and Nilakantha, should stand shoulder to shoulder with him as they discovered the other great component of calculus — infinite series."

He argues that imperialist attitudes are to blame for suppressing the true story behind the discovery of calculus.

"There were many reasons why the contribution of the Kerala school has not been acknowledged," he said. "A prime reason is neglect of scientific ideas emanating from the Non-European world, a legacy of European colonialism and beyond."

However, he concedes there are other factors also in play.

"There is also little knowledge of the medieval form of the local language of Kerala, Malayalam, in which some of most seminal texts, such as the Yuktibhasa, from much of the documentation of this remarkable mathematics is written," he admits.

Joseph made the discovery while conducting research for the as-yet unpublished third edition of his best-selling book The Crest of the Peacock: the Non-European Roots of Mathematics.

Calculus created in India 250 years before Newton: study - CBC News

But I thought Calculus was created by Herge, I mean Prof Calculus of Tintin....::undecided:

No, I did NOT lay out any contradiction in here my friend. But the whole world accredits Newton on it.

Nothing against you or India personally, I'm just saying :P

I know. Nothing personal, just that you can't have both. ;)

Yes, the world accredits Newton and I have nothing against it. If the facts prove otherwise, it takes nothing away from his greatness.

There have been plenty of smart people all over the world. Some of the genius (especially of the Eastern world) has not been fully appreciated yet because of the world order of the last few centuries. It can and will change.

I know. Nothing personal, just that you can't have both. ;)

Yes, the world accredits Newton and I have nothing against it. If the facts prove otherwise, it takes nothing away from his greatness.

There have been plenty of smart people all over the world. Some of the genius (especially of the Eastern world) has not been fully appreciated yet because of the world order of the last few centuries. It can and will change.

Indians are smart that's a fact for sure :cheesy: Go to any Uni across the globe to see yourself :cheesy: ..

I needed to get to the bottom of this, and no, you're way off the mark. Thaath translates in English as pomp, grandeur, ostentation.

While there are Indian words for arrogance, ego and pride, there isn't one (even in your beloved Sanskrit) that exactly matches hubris. Explains why you can't swallow this little fact that Indian contribution to Mathematics may be good, but not that greatly impressive.

BTW, I'm sure there is no Indian idiom equivalent to "eating the humble pie" either.

Hubris would be Ahankaar (अहंकार) in Hindi/Sanskrit.

Is there an English word for chu****? If there is one, it will describe you very aptly.

Back
Top Bottom