What's new

Britain puts Fighter Jets on Standby to Launch Attack on Syria with Turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
UK is a very old imperial state which always had interests in middle east. This is also why they maintain one of best intelligence services of the world. So, im surprise that you're surprised even though you live in there.

Nobody see the historical irony in here?

UK's the country that disintegrated the Ottoman Empire and created Israel ! The country which is responsible for almost all the mess in the Middle East :azn: And here I see Turks supporting Britain ! Wonderful ...

Yes , I see the Irony ...

UK's the country that disintegrated the Ottoman Empire and created Israel ! The country which is responsible for almost all the mess in the Middle East :azn: And here I see Turks supporting Britain ! Wonderful ...

Nobody's supporting britain, I personally appreciate the good will and spirit :) Arabs were fighting side-to side with britain against us when we were weakest. Ottoman Empire's disintegration didn't only create Israel it also created the arab states.

Now we are far more stronger and they are on our side that's the irony :) Poetic Justice i call it.

Who said we are supporting them? Supporting and using them are 2 different things.

Turkish Plane violates Syrian Airspace and is shot down and it is somehow fault of Syria?

Nobody's supporting britain, I personally appreciate the good will and spirit :) Arabs were fighting side-to side with britain against us when we were weakest. Ottoman Empire's disintegration didn't only create Israel it also created the arab states.

Now we are far more stronger and they are on our side that's the irony :) Poetic Justice i call it.

Actually , your words were more in line of supporting Britain ... Go , read them , I was amazed at the praises being showered to the Crown ... Appreciate the good will for all you want , but do not get carried away by just this single development because the same Britain didn't do nothing when your ship was attacked in International waters ! :azn:

Yes , I know the whole damn history ! If you see my posts regarding the history of modern Arabs in numerous threads , then you will see how much I have despised their actions against fellow Ottoman brothers and my hatred of the monarchy ...

Turkiye definitely are arrogant and heavy drunk by praising them as they forgot everything what they done to Turkish.

Nationalism is really blinded.

BS report from tabloid press, syria is not libya, UK cant do anything unless US is fully on board.
And I dont see obama going on another campaign in election year.

Syria puts double whammy on Turkey

The shooting down of the Turkish jet also coincides with a hardening of the Russian position on Syria. Moscow refused to comment on the incident when Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu telephoned his Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov on Sunday seeking understanding.

On Thursday, Lavrov bluntly warned that Russia would not countenance a replay of the Libyan scenario in Syria: "A replication of the Libyan scenario in Syria won't be admitted, and we [Russia] can guarantee this." Lavrov was dismissive of Western demands for the resignation of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, calling them "unrealistic". He insisted that "at least 50 percent" of Syrian people supported Assad's party in the recent parliamentary elections.

Turkey is calibrating a strong response to the Syrian act. But a challenging time lies ahead for Erdogan. First and foremost, his interventionist policy in Syria does not enjoy the support of Turkey's opposition parties.

Knowing Erdogan's ability to whip up nationalistic sentiments, the opposition parties quickly concurred that Turkey must respond to incident. But they point out that Erdogan needlessly provoked Damascus and has destroyed Turkey's friendly ties with Syria.

The leader of the main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP), Kemal Kilicdarglu, pointedly asked on Sunday after meeting with Erdogan: "Why have Turkey and Syria come to the brink of war?" The CHP's deputy head Faruk Logoglu, who is a distinguished former diplomat (ex-head of the Foreign Ministry and former ambassador to the US), said:

"We are very critical of the way AKP [Erdogan's Justice and Development Party] is handling the situation. There should be no outside intervention of any sort and any intervention must be mandated by a resolution of the UN Security Council. In the absence of such a resolution, any intervention would be unlawful."

In short, the Turkish opposition will be free to dissociate from any response that Erdogan decides on, especially if things go haywire downstream.

But the point is, even within Turkey, there is skepticism about what really happened. The veteran Turkish editor Yousuf Kanli wrote:

"Did the plane violate Syrian airspace? ... On the other hand, why was the Turkish reconnaissance plane flying so low, in an area close to a Russian base, and why did it keep on going in and out of Syrian airspace so many times in the 15-minute period before it was downed? Was it testing the air-defense capabilities of Syria (or the Russian base) before an intervention which might come later this year?"

Erdogan has had time before Tuesday's meeting to finesse some vaziyeti kurtaran bahane (which translates from Turkish as "face-saving excuse") to maintain his dignity and prestige in front of the parliament and the nation. But then, this is a shame he brought down on himself, since all protagonists would know that the Turkish jet was undertaking a risky mission off the Russian naval base of Tartus.

Asia Times Online :: Middle East News, Iraq, Iran current affairs

@Secur, they support us, not the other way arond. Doesn't mean i trust them. you don't get carried away

There is a situation developing, esat is asking for it and he'll get it all the way to damascus we'll see in a couple of days.

And we'll have a fight with Russia eventually over Armenia or Syria this will happen.

Briton is a joke..cant move without big daddy USA.

She will be the first to run away when checkmated.

Unless syria does something drastic( like bombing turkey or firing some rockets), I really doubt NATO will get involved.

Unless syria does something drastic( like bombing turkey or firing some rockets), I really doubt NATO will get involved.
We don't need NATO to be involved. Turkish military is perfectly capable of "taking care of" of syria. We only need NATO to cover our arses while we do the job. In case any third party such as iran or Russia wants to get involved.

Who the eff does Britain think it is? We all know the UK won't do a thing unless its master gives the green light. Not only that but on the one hand Cameron is cutting defence jobs and spending left right and centre but then engaging in these PR stunts getting the UK involved in situations it has no business being involved in at all!!

Colonial/elitist mindset on show for the world to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom