What's new

BD stays ahead of India in GDP per capita - IMF October 2022 Database

UKBengali

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Interesting that just 6 months ago, IMF forecast that India would grow faster than BD in 2022.

Screenshot 2022-10-16 at 20.07.28.png

Interesting that just 6 months ago, IMF forecast that India would grow faster than BD in 2022.

View attachment 887137
Bangladesh has to be admired for achieving tremendous growth and improvement in human development. In the 1990s, economists were speaking about Bangladesh and Haiti as nations getting sucked inexorably into a blackhole of misery. Bangladesh has come a long way ahead and become the best country in South Asia in Human Development. Bangladesh provides an excellent roadmap for other non-oil-rich Islamic countries to get out of misery and find a path upwards. Especially for Pakistan, Bangladesh is an example of how to escape from stasis and bring hope for the people.

Screenshot_20221017-005015_Chrome.jpg

The above was what was reported in October last year in the daily star. I guess the margin of difference has increased somewhat.

I suspect an element of this is driven by trade, BDs export basket has lessor price elasticity than india. With IMF rebalancing for higher dollar value this will be reflected in the growth of the gap in BDs favor.

Also india probably is exposed much more negatively to the russia ukraine debacle.

Last edited:
Bangladesh has to be admired for achieving tremendous growth and improvement in human development. In the 1990s, economists were speaking about Bangladesh and Haiti as nations getting sucked inexorably into a blackhole of misery. Bangladesh has come a long way ahead and become the best country in South Asia in Human Development. Bangladesh provides an excellent roadmap for other non-oil-rich Islamic countries to get out of misery and find a path upwards. Especially for Pakistan, Bangladesh is an example of how to escape from stasis and bring hope for the people.

The template is women power.

Let women plan their family and let them work.

Bangladesh first let women plan their family and then created millions of jobs for them.

Everything else has followed from that….

View attachment 887163

The above was what was reported in October last year in the daily star. I guess the margin of difference has increased somewhat.

I suspect an element of this is driven by trade, BDs export basket has lessor price elasticity than india. With IMF rebalancing for higher dollar value this will be reflected in the growth of the gap in BDs favor.

Also india probably is exposed much more negatively to the russia ukraine debacle.

The numbers are even more grim for India.

India has far too many billionaires for the size of its GDP. Compare it to Germany, Japan and China. Much richer countries with far fewer billionaires.

This means median GDP is much lower in India. Which of course stunts it’s future prospects.

IMF has made huge revision regarding India growth rate, much larger revision that what IMF makes for other countries. We have both know there is bias in reporting Indian growth as IMF uses Indian economists as their Chief.

View attachment 887471

@Bilal9

I made a thread about this months ago suggesting that IMF was biased in favour of India and against BD and even some BD posters joined Indians in laughing at me.

BD grows around 0.5-1 % higher than IMF forecast and the reverse is true for India.

I made a thread about this months ago suggesting that IMF was biased in favour of India and against BD and even some BD posters joined Indians in laughing at me.

BD grows around 0.5-1 % higher than IMF forecast and the reverse is true for India.

Previously, Asia and Asia Pacific Director is also an Indian. He is still in position at least until beginning of 2022. So look like Asia Pacific Director is changed into this European women because IMF now I believe has detected that bias

IMF has made huge revision regarding India growth rate, much larger revision that what IMF makes for other countries. We have both know there is bias in reporting Indian growth as IMF uses Indian economists as their Chief.

View attachment 887471

@Bilal9

Indian cooked up numbers by their IT cell under Modi don't hold water after a while. Which they mostly cook up for election propaganda and Sanghi voters just lap this crap, up.

Too much evidence against their stories, I mean things have to fall under a global pattern after a while and fraud is just laid bare for all to see.

The most hilarious anecdote I heard some three years ago was when some chest-puffery bhakt idiot was claiming GDP growth and claiming construction growth as proof.

An educated Chinese brother pointed out that the production of cement in India hadn't grown and their imports of cement was also flat.

The Chinese brother than opined that Indian buildings must be built using non cement items, and maybe coconuts.... :lol:

@Bilal9

Bilal Bhai,

BD's nominal GDP per capita is higher than India. But India's GDP per capita (PPP) is higher, which simply means that BD's taka doesnt buy as much as INR (adjusted for exchange rate). This would also explain why India has beaten BD (and needless to say Pakiland as well) in the latest UNDP MDPI poverty index.

https://hdr.undp.org/system/files/do...eportenpdf.pdf
https://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/f..._and_2_en.xlsx

For India the score is 0.069 (16% headcount in poverty, 42% extent of deprivation among the multidimensional poor) ahead of NEP 0.074 (17.5%, 42%), BD 0.104 (24.6%, 42%), PAK 0.198 (38.3%, 52%). SL still remains tops in South Asia with a score of 0.011.

Maybe Neel Akash dada (@bluesky) can pipe in with his well rounded opinion.

Regards

@Bilal9

Bilal Bhai,

BD's nominal GDP per capita is higher than India. But India's GDP per capita (PPP) is higher, which simply means that BD's taka doesnt buy as much as INR (adjusted for exchange rate). This would also explain why India has beaten BD (and needless to say Pakiland as well) in the latest UNDP MDPI poverty index.

https://hdr.undp.org/system/files/do...eportenpdf.pdf
https://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/f..._and_2_en.xlsx

For India the score is 0.069 (16% headcount in poverty, 42% extent of deprivation among the multidimensional poor) ahead of NEP 0.074 (17.5%, 42%), BD 0.104 (24.6%, 42%), PAK 0.198 (38.3%, 52%). SL still remains tops in South Asia with a score of 0.011.

Maybe Neel Akash dada (@bluesky) can pipe in with his well rounded opinion.

Regards

All these Indian stats you talk about are reported by Indian govt. depts. especially Indian statistics depts.

I don't place a lot of credibility in these Indian-reported numbers.

As of December 2021, reported GDP per capita PPP numbers are not very different, and Bangladesh may leapfrog India in the next two reporting periods. There is no chest puffery going on for Bangladesh here, in six months we will see more changes and Bangladesh fortunes may see a reversal.

.......................................................Latest...............Previous ...............Report date ................Unit
India66756187Dec/21USD
Bangladesh60205684Dec/21USD

@Bilal9

Bilal Bhai,

All these Indian stats you talk about are reported by Indian govt. depts. especially Indian statistics depts.

I am talking about UNDP statistics. If you dont want to believe them fine with me.

Regards

@Bilal9

Bilal Bhai,

I am talking about UNDP statistics. If you dont want to believe them fine with me.

Regards

What exactly are you looking at ??

Look at the latest UNDP HDI stats.

Add country stats to compare in the line graph. Bangladesh is already above India in overall HDI count.

Back
Top Bottom