What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

I do not understand why you keep saying that fighters equipped with BVR weapons will fight WVR?

If you can get a radar lock and have missiles within range, then surely that is the way you fight? BD is not that small that as soon as Indian fighters come near BD it will be a WVR encounter.

Yes there will be circumstances where this is required but most fighting with modern 4+ gen planes will surely be BVR.

The way I see it this is the matchup between Rafale and J-10C:

1. Manuverabiilty - J-10C wins
2. Missile - Rafale wins
3. Electronics - Rafale wins.

I think 1. and 2. cancels each other out.
So how much superior 3. is will decide the advantage that Rafale has over J-10C.
Because they’ll. WVR is not obsolete as the west would have you believe. It’s very much a major portion of training as a fighter pilot.
Onto the second para, no but with the established ADIZ I’m sure Bangladesh will scramble as soon as jets take off in Indian territory
Third para, again this is not up to us, but how situations present themselves

no comment on which fighter jet is winning
If anything you are the one that is a Western fanboy and I seem to be more impartial here
Ouch that hurts

no comment on which fighter jet is winning

Exactly my point - J-10C has chance against Rafale and so should seriously be considered by BAF if they want a 4th gen aircraft now that is reliable against India.

A lot of people are jumping on the Western bandwagon but forget that those planes will only be reliable against MAF. They think that as long as it is "self defence" then BAF can fire freely at IAF aircraft.

There are so many things wrong with this line of thinking.

For a start there could be a scenario 15-20 years down the line where BAF needs to take offensive action for one reason or another against India pre-emptively to defend itself, or IAF "asks" BD to allow it's fighters to cross BD airspace to fight say China and USA makes it clear to BD that it cannot try to stop IAF as otherwise it will sanction the fleet of fighters that USA has supplied.
BD has no choice but to comply as it's whole fighter fleet is from USA.

Last edited:
Exactly my point - J-10C has chance against Rafale and so should seriously be considered by BAF if they want a 4th gen aircraft now that is reliable against India.

A lot of people are jumping on the Western bandwagon but forget that those planes will only be reliable against MAF. They think that as long as it is "self defence" then BAF can fire freely at IAF aircraft.

There are so many things wrong with this line of thinking.

For a start there could be a scenario 15-20 years down the line where BAF needs to take offensive action for one reason or another against India pre-emptively to defend itself, or IAF "asks" BD to allow it's fighters to cross BD airspace to fight say China and USA makes it clear to BD that it cannot try to stop IAF as otherwise it will sanction the fleet of fighters that USA has supplied.
BD has no choice but to comply as it's whole fighter fleet is from USA.
And that’s why your thinking is wrong because Bangladesh foreign policy does not allow to wage war against another nation war can only be fought to defend the nation and as such manage will never be aggressive party or the first one to attack or Declare war.

And that’s why your thinking is wrong because Bangladesh foreign policy does not allow to wage war against another nation war can only be fought to defend the nation and as such manage will never be aggressive party or the first one to attack or Declare war.

Have you not ever heard of "pre-emptive strike" as self-defence? Sometimes you need to attack first as otherwise you have no chance to succeed if you wait to be attacked.

If BAF ends up with a 100% USA fighter fleet, then the USA will decide what it considers "self-defence" to be.

My point is that BD should be looking at BAF acquisitions to maximise it's sovereignty and so sourcing it's fighters from one source is the height of folly.

BD is a nation of 165 million that will peak at 180-200 million people in 10-15 years and so has the mass to be relatively sovereign in the long run as long as it wants that.

Have you not ever heard of "pre-emptive strike" as self-defence? Sometimes you need to attack first as otherwise you have no chance to succeed if you wait to be attacked.

If BAF ends up with a 100% USA fighter fleet, then the USA will decide what it considers "self-defence" to be.

My point is that BD should be looking at BAF acquisitions to maximise it's sovereignty and so sourcing it's fighters from one source is the height of folly.

BD is a nation of 165 million that will peak at 180-200 million people in 10-15 years and so has the mass to be relatively sovereign in the long run as long as it wants that.
European and Chinese mix is the way to go. Unless you wanna invest heavily in f16 program and get them to move their factory to bd... then US will not care if Bangladesh chooses preemptive strike as an option to defend itself

European and Chinese mix is the way to go. Unless you wanna invest heavily in f16 program and get them to move their factory to bd... then US will not care if Bangladesh chooses preemptive strike as an option to defend itself

Problem with European option is that all available options are really, really expensive as Gripen option is ruled out as US wants BD to buy US fighters.

Myanmar is the more immediate threat and BAF needs to be armed for this now and only refurbished F-16 Block 50/52s are affordable as far as I can see.

Sometimes I wish that BD government would just bite the bullet and increase defence spending a little to allow BAF to be properly equipped.

Problem with European option is that all available options are really, really expensive as Gripen option is ruled out as US wants BD to buy US fighters.

Myanmar is the more immediate threat and BAF needs to be armed for this now and only refurbished F-16 Block 50/52s are affordable as far as I can see.

Sometimes I wish that BD government would just bite the bullet and increase defence spending a little to allow BAF to be properly equipped.
That will have to be done (budget increase)
As for gripens bd can choose them, maritime strike can be American super hornets... America then will not complain since ammunition will also have to be bought
We’re low budget customers, America knows our buying capacity and will accommodate accordingly. However in the future, post 2030 we would seriously have to reconsider our alignment with China, economy will be larger and America won’t like increasing amount of US dollars going over to China for defense spendings

but realistically what I expect is
16 EFT for now, j31 from 2025 (launch customer) 2x more EFT Squadron along with that till 2030

That will have to be done (budget increase)
As for gripens bd can choose them, maritime strike can be American super hornets... America then will not complain since ammunition will also have to be bought
We’re low budget customers, America knows our buying capacity and will accommodate accordingly. However in the future, post 2030 we would seriously have to reconsider our alignment with China, economy will be larger and America won’t like increasing amount of US dollars going over to China for defense spendings

but realistically what I expect is
16 EFT for now, j31 from 2025 (launch customer) 2x more EFT Squadron along with that till 2030

What you say is realistic in terms of BD financial capacity and would be fantastic if BAF got the J-31 as it would go some way towards negating IAF numbers.

I can accept spending huge treasure on 3 squadrons of EFTs as long as BAF also got J-31.

IAF would literally be crapping in their pants if BAF got the J-31 as they have nothing to counter it's stealth.

BD's real threat is India and so J-31 is the most important over the medium-long term.

Last edited:
BAF has enough money to buy Viper bro. Money is not matter now. Matter is which one will be preferred by BAF.
F-16V is too expensive at 80 million US dollars per plane and BAF needs an aircraft that can freely fire on Indian planes and only Chinese aircraft fit the bill. I doubt USA would give BD f-16V with AIM-120D anyway.

Let us leave JF-17 Block 3 with PL-15 out for now as even Pakistan does not have it, and like I already said Myanmar probably cannot afford anything more than it has ordered so far as it has puny 70 billion US dollar economy.

Last edited:
What you say is realistic in terms of BD financial capacity and would be fantastic if BAF got the J-31 as it would go some way towards negating IAF numbers.

I can accept spending huge treasure on 3 squadrons of EFTs as long as BAF also got J-31.

IAF would literally be crapping in their pants if BAF got the J-31 as they have nothing to counter it's stealth.

BD's real threat is India and so J-31 is the most important over the medium-long term.
Tbh if countering India is the concern... EFT is an overkill for Burma... a mix of the assets will always be used. For Burma that mix may mean more of the affordable fighters

Upgradation of Mig 29 B/UB

upload_2020-2-23_9-15-16.png

Source: Defence Technology of Bangladesh

DTB has explained that R27T1 can be fired from the Mig-29 UB even though it doesn't have radar, by using IRST.
Any thoughts on this?

Upgradation of Mig 29 B/UB

View attachment 607800
Source: Defence Technology of Bangladesh

DTB has explained that R27T1 can be fired from the Mig-29 UB even though it doesn't have radar, by using IRST.
Any thoughts on this?

R27T-series are infra-red homing and so can be launched using IRST and then the IR seeker in the missile can guide itself to the target.

It is possible but how effective a 1980s Russian IRST and IR seeker on R27T is the big question.

Hope the pilot is safe, never good sight...

Back
Top Bottom