What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

Like I say BD thinks BIG.

Look at things like BAC - primary trainer due to fly next year, aeronautical university, 6 next gen frigates to be built in BD etc..

Also think where BD was 200 years ago compared to rest of world, let alone S Asia and you will get an idea of where BD wants to be in the future.
It was no accident that UK feared the re-rise of Bengalis the most in British India.

Delusions of grandeur.

Stop making Bangladesh into a laughing stock with your ridiculously irrational overconfidence.

Bangladesh is doing better than years past.

But it’s still a poor country with a ton of problems.

Your posts are fuel to the troll fire.

Delusions of grandeur.

Stop making Bangladesh into a laughing stock with your ridiculously irrational overconfidence.

"Overconfidence"?
More like reality slowly unfolding before our very eyes.

If you seriously think that BD is anything like Pakistan or India, then I suggest you go learn some S Asian history quick.

Anyway like I say what matters is BD government thinks BIG. Luckily people that are limited in thinking have little say in current BD government policy.

Yep. He explicitly mentioned stealth aircraft apart from 16x MRCA plans and 8x maritime strike...
So my bet is j10 is not coming after all, instead they’ll wait for j31 to mature

Like I say BD thinks BIG.

Look at things like BAC - primary trainer due to fly next year, aeronautical university, 6 next gen frigates to be built in BD etc..

Also think where BD was 200 years ago compared to rest of world, let alone S Asia and you will get an idea of where BD wants to be in the future.
It was no accident that UK feared the re-rise of Bengalis the most in British India.
Not next year, but the first working prototype of an aircraft (propeller driven or jet) will not fly until the next 3 years. Atleast that’s what the new university head said
As for the rest of your post, I wanted to tell you this upfront but I thought you would be offended but I agree with @Avicenna hold your horses

Not next year, but the first working prototype of an aircraft (propeller driven or jet) will not fly until the next 3 years. Atleast that’s what the new university head said

Not surprised as reality can conflict with planned schedules.

Yes once BAF gets Gripen E US can only block sale of new planes.
That amazing GE engine would have lasted as long as the airframe.

Yes, additional spare engines should be ordered during the procurement. It's very regrettable that such a suitable platform is not available for us.

I can honestly see only two fighters that fit our budget, technology requirements and the geopolitics in the neighborhood. That's J-10 and Gripen. One will be reliable against India and the other can take care of monkeys and both are highly capable systems.

Yes, additional spare engines should be ordered during the procurement. It's very regrettable that such a suitable platform is not available for us.

I can honestly see only two fighters that fit our budget, technology requirements and the geopolitics in the neighborhood. That's J-10 and Gripen. One will be reliable against India and the other can take care of monkeys and both are highly capable systems.

It is such a reliable engine on the Gripen E that you do not really need any more than a few spares.
GE engines last as long as the airframe on fighters.

It is such a reliable engine on the Gripen E that you do not really need any more than a few spares.
GE engines last as long as the airframe on fighters.
Almost all fights will be WVR with India and sukhoi/ rafale will both have advantage in WVR over the gripen of the Thai excercise is anything to go by

Almost all fights will be WVR with India and sukhoi/ rafale will both have advantage in WVR over the gripen of the Thai excercise is anything to go by

Why you say that?

Most fights in modern aerial warfare are BVR no?

BD is large enough that it's fighters will not be based so close to Indian border that WVR action will be the norm as far as I can see.

Btw, I was not that impressed with Gripen C beating the 1980s-era J-11A 41:9 in BVR combat back in 2015 Thai-China exercises. The Gripen C had both a missile advantage (80km AMRAAM versus 50 km R-77) and also a radar 20 years newer than the old Russian fighter.

Hmmm, that makes me wonder just how would J-10C really stack up against Rafale, especially when you consider the high-altitude speed and manouverability advantage the Chinese fighter has over the French one.
J-10C could well be competitive enough to neutralise Rafale.

Last edited:
I think Bangladesh should buy CN 235 for transport, special operation, MPA, border patrol, SAR and CSAR role. Its new gunship version IMO will be valuable for border patrol in BD-MY border or BD-IND border. Even Senegal is going to repeat order for this plane soon, showing its satisfaction with the first order.

https://www.janes.com/article/94283...final-stages-of-negotiation-for-second-cn-235

Actually BD already has brought the CASA C-295W which is the Spanish version of the CN 235 plane.

I think it is possible that more will be brought in the future and would prefer if BD choose the Indonesian version next time.

Dude,I can say you are a Western fanboy, see where this is leading to?
At least I provided actual evidence of J-10A/C versus Gripen C exercises in Thailand to back up my points.
"Dude", there is no equivalence here. We are debating proven vs unproven technology.
You are trying to wish Chinese fighter tech into superiority.
The claims of J-10s beating Gripens are all being made by Chinese parties. The Thais are not confirming any such claims. You have not "backed up" squat.
I am even ignoring the fact that the Thais would not expose Gripen's EW systems to the Chinese.
Does that mean J-10s are not superior to Gripens in WVR engagements? No! It means we do not know!
As for proving Gripen, if the wide export base of this jet spread across multiple countries, that have multiple options open, and little complaints is not evidence enough for you, nothing will ever be.

Now how did you rank in your school cohort, especially at mathematics, will highlight why you are utterly wrong and thinking at such a shallow level?
I excelled in the UKBengali School of Mathematics:
"2+2 today may equal 4 but with the big vision of BD government in place, it will equal 5 by next year and 6 by 2030." :smart:

Last edited:
Why you say that?

Most fights in modern aerial warfare are BVR no?

BD is large enough that it's fighters will not be based so close to Indian border that WVR action will be the norm as far as I can see.

Btw, I was not that impressed with Gripen C beating the 1980s-era J-11A 41:9 in BVR combat back in 2015 Thai-China exercises. The Gripen C had both a missile advantage (80km AMRAAM versus 50 km R-77) and also a radar 20 years newer than the old Russian fighter.

Hmmm, that makes me wonder just how would J-10C really stack up against Rafale, especially when you consider the high-altitude speed and manouverability advantage the Chinese fighter has over the French one.
J-10C could well be competitive enough to neutralise Rafale.
Bd will have to stay within its airspace if it chooses to cross into the Indian airspace and strike their targets it would risk going into an enemy rich environment, aircrafts... SAMs everything will be pointed towards what bd sends and not to mention numerical advantage... the best chance for bd will be to follow exactly what the British did against the Germans... home turf deterrence will suit our purpose best and engagements will be WVR if they’re fought on bd airspace
But then that’s given India attempts to invade our airspace which they’ll.
Maneuverability advantage of j10 over rafale is not by much, pilot skill and avionics/ sensors/radars will help between these two

Delusions of grandeur.

I am sure he is a nice guy in person and patriotic. He just needs to reel in his boisterous nationalistic chest thumping a little bit.

"Dude", there is no equivalence here. We are debating proven vs unproven technology here.
You are trying to wish Chinese fighter tech into superiority.
The claims of J-10s beating Gripens are all being made by Chinese parties. The Thais are not confirming no such claims. You have not "backed up" squat.
I am even ignoring the fact that the Thais would not expose Gripen's EW systems to the Chinese.
Does that mean J-10s are not superior to Gripens in WVR engagements? No! It means we do not know!
As for proving Gripen, if the wide export base of this jet among countries thar have multiple options open is not evidence enough for you, nothing would be.

It works both ways as far as exposing each other's EW systems to each other.

I am not wishing Chinese fighter tech into any superiority here.

Here are the FACTs and let us go from here:

2000s Gripen C with 80km range AMRAAM beat 1980s J-11A with 50km range R-77s in BVR but lost heavily in WVR.

This is hardly a Chinese source:

https://militarywatchmagazine.com/a...ers-in-beyond-visual-range-combat-simulations

"The exercises saw the PLA deploy Soviet Su-27SK air superiority fighters against Thai Gripen C light multirole jets"

WVR:

"Had the Su-27, even in its weakest and oldest variant, not won overwhelmingly against the Thai Gripens in visual range combat, it would have raised very serious questions regarding the quality of Chinese pilots. As it was, the Flankers shot down 16 Swedish built jets for zero of their own number - a predictable result considering the massive discrepancy in flight performance. A second day of visual range engagements reportedly saw the Gripens perform slightly better, downing one Chinese Flanker for nine losses. This gave a kill ratio of 25:1 in favour of the Chinese Flankers"

BVR:

"Thus overall the Gripens enjoyed a highly favourable ratio in beyond visual range combat - downing 19 Su-27s for a loss of just three of their own."

So 2000s Gripen C with 80km range AMRAAM wins 19:3 against 1980s J-11A with 50km R-77 in BVR. Would anyone had expected any different if the opposing fighter to Gripen C was a F-16A with AMRAMM A?.

If anything you are the one that is a Western fanboy and I seem to be more impartial here.

Bd will have to stay within its airspace if it chooses to cross into the Indian airspace and strike their targets it would risk going into an enemy rich environment, aircrafts... SAMs everything will be pointed towards what bd sends and not to mention numerical advantage... the best chance for bd will be to follow exactly what the British did against the Germans... home turf deterrence will suit our purpose best and engagements will be WVR if they’re fought on bd airspace
But then that’s given India attempts to invade our airspace which they’ll.
Maneuverability advantage of j10 over rafale is not by much, pilot skill and avionics/ sensors/radars will help between these two

I do not understand why you keep saying that fighters equipped with BVR weapons will fight WVR?

If you can get a radar lock and have missiles within range, then surely that is the way you fight? BD is not that small that as soon as Indian fighters come near BD it will be a WVR encounter.

Yes there will be circumstances where this is required but most fighting with modern 4+ gen planes will surely be BVR.

The way I see it this is the matchup between Rafale and J-10C:

1. Manuverabiilty - J-10C wins
2. Missile - Rafale wins
3. Electronics - Rafale wins.

I think 1. and 2. cancels each other out.
So how much superior 3. is will decide the advantage that Rafale has over J-10C.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom