What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

IMHO the BAF should look at the JAS-39E/F. It already offers super-cruising, GaN-type AESA radar, and all of the weapons integration you'll need.

Start with JAS-39E/Fs and build your mainstay fleet around it, but slot yourself into the KAI KFX.

The benefit of this approach is that the Gripen E/F and KFX use the same engine type. So, when you induct the KFX as your NGFA, you'll have engine commonality and fleet-wide supercruising.

Also, when speaking to Sweden and South Korea, you should ensure you're getting a 75% offset in the form of direct investment in your manufacturing, especially industrial inputs (jig manufacturing) and automobiles.

BAF is more likely to get EFT with the Mk2 Captor-E AESA radar which is a much better air-superiorty fighter, although it is more expensive to buy and maintain. Then again, 16 of these will have similar capability to 24-30 Gripen Es.
My personal preference is refurbished Gripen Cs with Swedish AESA radar/Meteor fully integrated but this is looking less likely by the day.

As for KAI KFX?

Crazy idea for a multitude of reasons:

1. S Korea is under heavy US influence.
2. Engine will be US.
3. Missiles will be US or European.

In essence BD will have to maintain good relations with both Korea/US or Korea/US/Europe to both get the aircraft and operate it.

Far better to get TFX as that is from a reliable supplier(Turkey) with the only snag that the engines will be Western in the first 10-15 years of operation.

Last edited:
BAF is more likely to get EFT with the Mk2 Captor-E AESA radar which is a much better air-superiorty fighter, although it is more expensive to buy and maintain. Then again, 16 of these will have similar capability to 24-30 Gripen Es.
My personal preference is refurbished Gripen Cs with Swedish AESA radar/Meteor fully integrated but this is looking less likely by the day.

As for KAI KFX?

1. S Korea is under heavy influence.
2. Engine will be US.

In essence BD will have to maintain good relations with both Korea/US or Korea/US/Europe to both get the aircraft and operate it.

Far better to get TFX as that is from a reliable supplier(Turkey) with the only snag that the engines will be Western in the first 10-15 years of operation.
BAF won't be able to afford more than 1 sqd of EFTs. There will always be room for single engine fighters.

There are huge question marks on technical and financial feasibilities of every single fifth generation fighter on Earth.
IMHO, BAF should heavily invest in 4.5 gen fighters (ideally 5-6 squadrons of Gripen E/Fs with ToT and AEW&C & EW packages) and R&D on UCAVs until supersonic UCAVs become reality.

Fifth generation fighters are a waste of time (cost vs benefit).

Last edited:
IMHO the BAF should look at the JAS-39E/F. It already offers super-cruising, GaN-type AESA radar, and all of the weapons integration you'll need.

Start with JAS-39E/Fs and build your mainstay fleet around it, but slot yourself into the KAI KFX.

The benefit of this approach is that the Gripen E/F and KFX use the same engine type. So, when you induct the KFX as your NGFA, you'll have engine commonality and fleet-wide supercruising.

Also, when speaking to Sweden and South Korea, you should ensure you're getting a 75% offset in the form of direct investment in your manufacturing, especially industrial inputs (jig manufacturing) and automobiles.

I think that ship has sailed friend.

Typhoon SEEMS to be the choice. (At least for the twin engine requirement BAF seems to want)

The single engine choice remains to be seen.

While I agree with your suggestions to maintain a single type fleet, it seems BAF leadership thinks otherwise.

On a side note, its REMARKABLE to me that we are even having this discussion about BAF choosing between NEW BUILD modern Western types.

Reminds me a Drake lyric " Havin' lunch and debatin' Ferrari prices "

Is it low cost ? No strings attached ?
It will likely be as cheap as competing systems like Tor, and Iron Dome.

It will likely be ITAR free but a bottleneck I see would be if BD relations with Germany ever go sour but that is as I see it unlikely. They would be able to sanction the gun and radar systems but not the missile itself.

As for KAI KFX?

1. S Korea is under heavy influence.
2. Engine will be US.

That's fair, but keep in mind that the Typhoon seems to have a wonky long-term support set-up with limited spare parts supply. They may have solved it with the Tranche 1, but the on-and-off-again production approach is still in place. E.g., it took a Kuwaiti order to kick-start the CAPTOR AESA program in earnest.

I'd go with Sweden because they are more (though not 100%) inclined to neutrality and independence. They'd respect that in other states, and that's what BD should aspire towards.

In practice, Sweden will give customers flexible long-term credit/loans, and offsets. The latter part is key. You'll want to get some of the money you spend on fighters back into your economy in key areas.

As for the KFX. Yes, the engines are of US-origin (as with the Gripen), but you're not Pakistan. So, don't think like us Pakistanis. You don't have a problem with the US; all you need to do is not do anything to annoy them (e.g., don't pull an Ops Gibraltar scene on West Bengal).

However, the KFX could slot in as your twin-engine jet, and it looks like a really good solution for the task. The Koreans will localize the electronics and munitions (AAMs/SOWs), so you don't need to worry about Western integration issues.

Again, just make sure you're tying in offsets and get the Koreans to manufacture their cars in BD. Basically, get the Swedes to manufacture machining and jigs in BD, and then get the Koreans to buy those jigs etc and build cars in BD. Then take out India's car markets.

You'll spend $12-15 b on the Swedes and Koreans, but you'll get $15-20 b in macroeconomic benefits after the fact (plus the fighters).

@JamD (mic drop)

That's fair, but keep in mind that the Typhoon seems to have a wonky long-term support set-up with limited spare parts supply. They may have solved it with the Tranche 1, but the on-and-off-again production approach is still in place. E.g., it took a Kuwaiti order to kick-start the CAPTOR AESA program in earnest.

I'd go with Sweden because they are more (though not 100%) inclined to neutrality and independence. They'd respect that in other states, and that's what BD should aspire towards.

In practice, Sweden will give customers flexible long-term credit/loans, and offsets. The latter part is key. You'll want to get some of the money you spend on fighters back into your economy in key areas.

As for the KFX. Yes, the engines are of US-origin (as with the Gripen), but you're not Pakistan. So, don't think like us Pakistanis. You don't have a problem with the US; all you need to do is not do anything to annoy them (e.g., don't pull an Ops Gibraltar scene on West Bengal).

However, the KFX could slot in as your twin-engine jet, and it looks like a really good solution for the task. The Koreans will localize the electronics and munitions (AAMs/SOWs), so you don't need to worry about Western integration issues.

Again, just make sure you're tying in offsets and get the Koreans to manufacture their cars in BD. Basically, get the Swedes to manufacture machining and jigs in BD, and then get the Koreans to buy those jigs etc and build cars in BD. Then take out India's car markets.

You'll spend $12-15 b on the Swedes and Koreans, but you'll get $15-20 b in macroeconomic benefits after the fact (plus the fighters).

@JamD (mic drop)

Great idea , two issues fam

India and our leader

Great idea , two issues fam

India and our leader

Buy refurbished and upgraded F 16 bro, this one is refurbished and upgraded in Indonesia. We bought it in 1989.

Third or Fourth upgraded and refurbished ones. Its age will be prolonged so we still can operate it until next 20 years. Cheap solution for stopgap before we inshaAllah induct KFX/IFX.

MUCH MUCH Cheaper, but you should not lean too much toward China in order to get one

1617336681965.png

Buy refurbished and upgraded F 16 bro, this one is refurbished and upgraded in Indonesia. We bought it in 1989.

Third or Fourth upgraded and refurbished ones. Its age will be prolonged so we still can operate it until next 20 years. Cheap solution for stopgap before we inshaAllah induct KFX/IFX.

MUCH MUCH Cheaper, but you should not lean too much toward China in order to get one

View attachment 730284

Bangladesh wanted F-16s back in the 90s but America laughed at us an said why does a small POOR nation need such modern jets ? And we got Migs and we were suppose to get 32 or something like that but due to corruption we got only 8.

Bangladesh Air Force's best option was Gripen and they wanted older ones but Sweden said sorry but no , and BAF rejected the whole dam aircraft since that.

Bangladesh in the end will probably go for the Euro Fighter Typhoon no matter what we say , Gripen was the best option but BAF said HECK NO.

And only Allah knows when we will get AWACS or EWs with these fighters

From a fighter... - Defense Technology of Bangladesh-DTB | Facebook

Here's one of our pilots ( He's a famous actor now ) in Turkey training with their F-16s back in the 90s I think

Bangladesh wanted F-16s back in the 90s but America laughed at us an said why does a small POOR nation need such modern jets ? And we got Migs and we were suppose to get 32 or something like that but due to corruption we got only 8.

Bangladesh Air Force's best option was Gripen and they wanted older ones but Sweden said sorry but no , and BAF rejected the whole dam aircraft since that.

Bangladesh in the end will probably go for the Euro Fighter Typhoon no matter what we say , Gripen was the best option but BAF said HECK NO.

View attachment 730365
Here's one of our pilots ( He's a famous actor now ) in Turkey training with their F-16s back in the 90s I think
found the article
U.S. refused to sell F-16s to Bangladesh (f-16.net)

i think thats Riaz

View attachment 730365

If you cannot buy the cheap refurbish ones, then better wait until 2030 where your economy is already big enough to buy at least KFX/IFX for minimal 3 squadrons. For me, rather than spending around 3 billion USD buying Eurofighter, better the money is spent for industrialization/education/infrastructure and others.

Talking about dealing with India, as many Bangladeshi members here always said India is the main threat (not my opinion), it is better to start training civilians for military exercise. You cannot withstand from India attack by having fighters and others that you dream, unless you are ready to spend like Pakistan does.

Indonesia is already preparing getting attack by superpowers, this is why we start doing military training to civiliants, but the program is for the willing ones, it is not conscription.

Pindad has already finished manufacturing 25.000 SS 2-V5 rifles for the start of the program.

1617366902322.png

Last edited:

View attachment 730365

Yes BAL government at the time wanted 27 F-16s. BD was very poor then but could still have afforded this force as F-16s were the cheapest Western 4th gen platforms to buy and operate before Gripen came into service.

Just imagine these were delivered and even with the sparrow BVR would have given BAF total air-superiority over Myanmar. The Rohingya tragedy may never have happened.

Yes BAL government at the time wanted 27 F-16s. BD was very poor then but could still have afforded this force as F-16s were the cheapest Western 4th gen platforms to buy and operate before Gripen came into service.

Just imagine these were delivered and even with the sparrow BVR would have given BAF total air-superiority over Myanmar. The Rohingya tragedy may never have happened.
could have even gotten AMRAAMs like pakistan did in late 2000s

So it was Sweden who doesn't want to sell Gripens to BAF or am I missing something.

could have even gotten AMRAAMs like pakistan did in late 2000s

Yes USA would have allowed AMRAAM sale later on but even the later versions of the sparrow missile were very deadly when used in combination of the F-16 Block 52+ radar and its EW system.
Far better than the Mig-29s that MAF brought.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom